Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 06:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,423,445 times

Advertisements

Yes I have but for the fencing required, it might work. We have the barns.

However, we're now thinking we need to be closer to the doctors (and mountains) so I am not wanting to put too much more money into this old place. The rural real estate prices on the Texas South Plains somewhat stabilized a half century ago although building materials, labor and taxes have continued to climb.

Then too, we're just trying to leave the kids something they can use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 11:34 PM

12,701 posts, read 3,003,364 times
I'm sure you've done a lot for your kids. Don't forget to live for yourself too.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I'm sure you've done a lot for your kids. Don't forget to live for yourself too.
Thanks Peg. Maybe I should place this reply in the "Quotes I like" thread but, "I think we are now living in the first American generation where the old saying about the good old days is true." In short, I'm thinking that if I don't give my kids a significant hand up, they'll never come close to having the great life I've had.

My wife and I are also thinking we'll stay in western Texas though but I'm sort of watching this economy more closely to try and see where everything seems to be headed before deciding where to look around. I've requested a less definitive CD login name than HPR but I have yet to receive an answer from Marka.

Rest assured I have no intention of disappearing from CD; not that anyone here needs more of my ramblings and nonsense.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:47 AM

30,724 posts, read 16,363,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Thanks Peg. Maybe I should place this reply in the "Quotes I like" thread but, "I think we are now living in the first American generation where the old saying about the good old days is true." In short, I'm thinking that if I don't give my kids a significant hand up, they'll never come close to having the great life I've had.

My wife and I are also thinking we'll stay in western Texas though but I'm sort of watching this economy more closely to try and see where everything seems to be headed before deciding where to look around. I've requested a less definitive CD login name than HPR but I have yet to receive an answer from Marka.

Rest assured I have no intention of disappearing from CD; not that anyone here needs more of my ramblings and nonsense.

hey-I thoroughly enjoy your ramblings and nonsense.

Of course your kids won't have the great life you've had. If they did they'd probably think it boring or something. But they have had the great life of their own and you and your wife have contributed to it.

I can see where you want to help them as much as possible but I respectfully point out that if they've shown no interest is owning the place leaving it to them would not be a help to them. Sell, when/if you're ready and leave them some money. or ask if they'd want a couple acres in the back 40 to build on.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
hey-I thoroughly enjoy your ramblings and nonsense.

Of course your kids won't have the great life you've had. If they did they'd probably think it boring or something. But they have had the great life of their own and you and your wife have contributed to it.

I can see where you want to help them as much as possible but I respectfully point out that if they've shown no interest is owning the place leaving it to them would not be a help to them. Sell, when/if you're ready and leave them some money. or ask if they'd want a couple acres in the back 40 to build on.
Thanks PH.

It's a tough decision to be sure. I keep thinking an equally divided bank account is much easier to give to family than real estate and it would also prevent a lot of internal arguments. My wife and I probably need to talk to an accountant soon but even I can calculate what a dollar two ninety five divided by three is.

At the moment I'm thinking about our State Department and wondering why they keep presenting hoops for my future grandson-in-law in the UK to have to jump through? These kids have put off their marriage for over a year now. Maybe this mess would be quicker if my granddaughter just moved to UK? Nah! More room in Texas.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:18 PM

23,330 posts, read 29,204,641 times
42 counties in Kentucky are still Dry. 2nd to that number are OK, TN & Arkansas. So I got to thinking, living here in Tucson, what if this county was dry? How far would I have to drive to even buy a bottle of wine? I feel sorry for those living in those counties, even those who simply want to have a bottle of wine with their dinner!

Old 09-15-2021, 02:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,842,253 times
The long drive to Alabama tomorrow... Seeing a place for the first time.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:26 PM

24,579 posts, read 26,139,477 times
Thinking this is 1 lucky kitty that went from 9 to 8.

Miami fans use American flag to save falling cat at Hard Rock Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgkgkDW6Dw

Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The long drive to Alabama tomorrow... Seeing a place for the first time.
Been thinking about you Nomad. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Thinking this is 1 lucky kitty that went from 9 to 8.

Miami fans use American flag to save falling cat at Hard Rock Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgkgkDW6Dw
I saw that video. Did anyone ever say where the cat came from or how it fell over the rail? I only heard it was wearing a collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics