Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 02:40 PM

30,731 posts, read 16,371,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Can you just take care of them?

I see the cats in our neighborhood catching and eating mice and rats all the time. They are doing their job and doing it well. Cats are more beneficial to public health than many people realize.

I really don't want any more indoor pets. I'm feeding a gazillion ferals now. One came inside because all the other cats were picking on him (I thought). Well, it was a him until she had kittens. I still have one. Rescue said they'd take it but backed out. Them the stupid cat got out and I now have 3 4wk old kittens to contend with.

and they all look the same: black with a white triangle under the chin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:47 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,426,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
can we meet half way?
I believe that would be somewhere in SW Illinois? Great! That's a state I've only flown through.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:49 PM

Just spoke to my younger brother (but older than me) and he has been sick for several days now. Although he is vaccinated, I'm worried that he may have contacted the second round of COVID.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:21 PM

18,271 posts, read 14,480,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Have you or anyone you've known ever filled out the forms for the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes?

It's main purpose is to amass the largest mass mailing data bank to sell. I lived with a guy who did it and went nuts. He had no idea what was about to happen with that tiny apartment mailbox. We had to move with no forwarding address. Boxes and Boxes of junk mail everyday.

Lol, funny story. But that went away, I guess, since they have my address from a long time ago, and they never send me anything in the mailbox. That's pretty cool. Sometimes I spend 2 to 4 hours in there trying to get rich!

Quote:
what to do with 5 cats who all look the same and nobody wants.
Same. We have 7 plus 2 just gave birth and one is pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

I'm thinking that even PCH doesn't care to have my address.
Or mine, lol.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:03 AM

17,653 posts, read 22,727,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
The woods, where the birds sing and there is actually peace and quiet. No drunks no dopers no drama no loud people. Fresh air and solitude. Two places i camped when I was homeless we named, one was Nomadland the other Hiers Heights... I miss'em. Fixed income + rising rents force me to stay in motel with weekly/monthly rates...and they rent to anyone and care only about the $$$....thus my missing the woods...
The forests are truly Magnificent...

Old 09-14-2021, 02:40 PM

I keep thinking today is Saturday.

It's not. I know it's not.

but is sure feels like Saturday.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:46 PM
bjh

60,289 posts, read 30,524,293 times
Quote:
I really don't want any more indoor pets. . . .
and they all look the same: black with a white triangle under the chin.
I didn't mean indoors.

A good TNR (trap, neuter, release) program can help. I've trapped feral cats many times in previous years. They neuter and release back at the address the cat is picked up at, usually the next day. Cost is zero. Paid for by taxes if it's a city program or contributions if a private charity.

Of course, you may already know/use such a program.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I didn't mean indoors.

A good TNR (trap, neuter, release) program can help. I've trapped feral cats many times in previous years. They neuter and release back at the address the cat is picked up at, usually the next day. Cost is zero. Paid for by taxes if it's a city program or contributions if a private charity.

Of course, you may already know/use such a program.
I keep trying. Last year Covid got in the way. got 2 done before the vet closed.

This year the vet got his hands injured and the dumb cats, who aren't so dumb, figured out how to get to the bait without springing the trap. Got 2 done with another scheduled the end of Nov.

Meanwhile at least 7 kittens have been added to the outsiders.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:16 PM

I really do wish I had some cats.

I have the opposite problem with cats than in many urban settings in that I cannot keep a good population going for the coyotes who eventually take them one by one. I somewhat control the coyotes close around the farm house with two large farm dogs but when coyotes get hungry, nothing dissuades their nighttime raids.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:45 PM

ever try donkeys?

have a friend who raises sheep. He kept losing them to coyotes. Tried everything.
2 donkeys and no more coyotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics