Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 04:18 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,432,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I had a Sainsbury's own brand Magnum earlier on......not bad. The choc tasted good, but you can't beat a real Magnum. Enjoy Zola.......
I think Magnum's ice cream is sold on this side of the Pond! But I've never had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:26 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
I'm currently thinking...

People keep saying Zola is so young. Now I wonder how old she is because I figured she was all grown up and then some.

Remembering my first magnum bar in Crete about 8 years ago. Delectable. We walked far for one just about every evening.

Why is Dave pouring vodka and rum instead of English Gin!? I wonder if there are good gins for me to try in London that I can't get here.

I'm tired and hungry and need a break - but also need to DM LC30 so he can review my itinerary!

More anon...

Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,432,005 times
What will tomorrow be like?

Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,238,662 times
How things were so much cheaper years ago.

I was watching on YouTube an old episode of Treasure Hunt where they featured not one, but two, brand new Jaguars for just $19,000.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,835,752 times
Currently thinking of how some people who pick apart your posts and correct you on here are abominable bores....

Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

Why is Dave pouring vodka and rum instead of English Gin!? I wonder if there are good gins for me to try in London that I can't get here.
Judy likes Gin as a change from Vodka....... She swears by Bombay London Dry Gin. I don't know if that brand is common in America.

I was puzzled looking for liquor in America. It's sort of hidden in supermarkets like it's shameful to sell it........ Here we have whole aisles dedicated to the various varieties of liquor from all over the world. There must be ten varieties of Gin in my local supermarket.

Gin languished here in England for many years...... it was seen as an old ladies drink. But, I believe it has made a comeback among the young, and is once more fashionable.

Back in the 18th century, there was panic over the massive consumption of Gin by the underclasses......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'm currently thinking...

People keep saying Zola is so young. Now I wonder how old she is because I figured she was all grown up and then some.

Remembering my first magnum bar in Crete about 8 years ago. Delectable. We walked far for one just about every evening.

I'm tired and hungry and need a break - but also need to DM LC30 so he can review my itinerary!

More anon...
Toosie: I'm 23, which isn't really young at all to be honest (although I guess that's all relative I suppose)

Can't believe I'll be pushing a quarter-century in about 18 months time!

I might appear to be "all grown up", but quite frankly there are times I have the mental age of a 10 year old, and then some, lol

Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 AM
bjh

60,289 posts, read 30,524,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
. . . I was puzzled looking for liquor in America. It's sort of hidden in supermarkets like it's shameful to sell it........

. . .

Back in the 18th century, there was panic over the massive consumption of Gin by the underclasses......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze
That comes from our Puritan streak, Dave. Bet ya didn't know Puritans streaked. ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaking
Of course, that's because they didn't. That would have meant days in the stocks!

There were more stocks than Puritans when it came to "The Puritan Beer Panic" not a historic era, just the feeling that
set in when Puritans thought the beer ran too low.

Here's an article about it from your side of the pond. ---> The time when Americans drank all day long - BBC News

Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That comes from our Puritan streak, Dave. Bet ya didn't know Puritans streaked. --->
Of course, that's because they didn't. That would have meant days in the stocks!

There were more stocks than Puritans when it came to "The Puritan Beer Panic" not a historic era, just the feeling that
set in when Puritans thought the beer ran too low.

Here's an article about it from your side of the pond. ---> The time when Americans drank all day long - BBC News
That was a real interesting article about American alcohol consumption. An average 7.1 gallons of pure alcohol a year in 1830, compared to 2.3 gallons today.........

I definitely notice the difference in attitude about alcohol in America compared to here in England. I remember once wandering the streets of New York City looking for a store that sold bacardi....... I eventually found a place on 10th Avenue!

I am so used to liquor being sold everywhere here. Now I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that's how it is........

I walked into a massive Walmart in Las Vegas. The place sold everything from tins of chowder, to turkey fryers....... could I find the liquor, no way. I had to ask someone in the end. When I got there it was just a small area selling Jack Daniels, Bacardi, vodka, and very little else. Now beer was proudly displayed, but liquor not so.

I was in ASDA this morning, and there are three long double rows of booze. One for beer, another for wine, and the third for liquor. What I will say in America's favour, is that your liquor prices are among the lowest anywhere. Lower than Greece, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy, Bulgaria, and here in the UK. I know, because I have gone looking...... Greece and Spain used to be real cheap, but not anymore. That is branded liquor of course. Some of the stuff they make themselves is very cheap.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 AM

24,583 posts, read 26,142,929 times
A dreaded dental appt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics