Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 AM

16,741 posts, read 17,521,139 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It's funny how things often work out.

Many's the time I sit down at the computer without a peeve and either I see something, or something happens around me that triggers an idea.

Today is a good example of that. A second ago I heard the arrival of the recycle lorry (truck) collecting glass. I had put the glass bin out. We also get the refuse (trash) collection once a week, as well as general recycling once a week.

Many places in the UK would be highly envious of that, getting collections only once a fortnight. Do you know what a fortnight is?

Spoiler
Two weeks.

So, my idea for a peeve is simply when you forget to put stuff out for whatever collection is due and either go to the dump/recycling centre or wait for the next collection.

The POTD is;

Darn- I forgot to put the stuff out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 02:17 AM

Today is overcast and slightly damp, whereas yesterday was lovely- chilly but sunny.

Here are four shots taken through upstairs windows showing the scene early yesterday morning;

Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,088,112 times
Yep, these days it's not good to miss the trash or recycle truck. I rarely do! But, there's times we could use more pick up days and times that less would do. Great pics Jezer!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 AM

21,669 posts, read 8,814,847 times
Forgetting to put the stuff out hasn't happened to us yet, especially now that we are retired. However, we have another peeve related to the collection of recyclables: There is a woman who has been sneaking around the neighborhood late on the evening before collection day, rifling through all the recycle bins and taking anything recyclable that can be sold, such as soda cans. She puts them in a large sack that she carries with her. This alone wouldn't be so bad, but when she paws through the bins, she drops things she doesn't want and leaves a mess on the sidewalk.

Now I feel sorry for anyone who is so poor that they have to scavenge recycling bins for a living, but it's right to leave a mess behind on someone else's property. Not only that, but we are paying for a recycling service that someone else is making a profit from.

Love the pheasants and the dove!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,957,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
...Do you know what a fortnight is?...
Wow - that's just a bit demeaning. I also know what a month is .

Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Wow - that's just a bit demeaning. I also know what a month is .
It's not meant to be demeaning- I don't do that DG!

I'm interested to know who knows this word and who doesn't.

My wife used it in the office in Houston and got blank looks on more than one occasion.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,957,291 times
Quote:
I know, from your previous posts, you wouldn't intentionally do that. I'm just going to back-off and say I was incorrect in posting what I did.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,464,038 times
Beautiful pics Jezer!

I never heard that word (fortnight) before reading Game of Thrones. I had to look it up, so I know now

Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 AM

62,169 posts, read 88,071,489 times
Quote:

I'm interested to know who knows this word and who doesn't.

My wife used it in the office in Houston and got blank looks on more than one occasion.
According to Wiki:
The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights". Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in the English-speaking world, where many wages and salaries and most social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis, except North America, where it is rare outside of some Canadian regions and insular traditional communities (e.g. Amish) in the United States.
American and Canadian payroll systems may use the term biweekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. Neither term should be confused with semimonthly (in one year there are 26 fortnightly or biweekly versus 24 semimonthly pay periods).

... so not many non-English people know that word. I needed to Google it too...
DG is a Brit, so HE knows.

Last edited by elnina; 11-27-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 AM

Thanks DG.

It's peculiar what words some people don't know that you think they would.

There's a few words commonly used over there that throw me- says he trying to think of an example. There really are- it's just that my memory is not what it was!

Interesting post there elnina- thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics