Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,388,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
According to Wiki:
The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights". Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in the English-speaking world, where many wages and salaries and most social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis, except North America, where it is rare outside of some Canadian regions and insular traditional communities (e.g. Amish) in the United States.
American and Canadian payroll systems may use the term biweekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. Neither term should be confused with semimonthly (in one year there are 26 fortnightly or biweekly versus 24 semimonthly pay periods).

... so not many non-English people know that word. I needed to Google it too...
DG is a Brit, so HE knows.
Thanks for doing the research on this, elnina. I know what a fortnight is because of Agatha Christie books but I didn't know the root of the word.

Jezer, you are a total delight. Thank you for taking the time to open the "peeve" threads. Those birdies are purdy.

I rarely forget to take out the trash for pickup twice a week. I have reminders set on my computer. If I don't take it out it is because I am "not in the mood." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM

44,693 posts, read 61,850,766 times
Fortnight...is like girls night out, one night a year you go out and celebrate in a Fort... Though some people do it every 2 weeks during the uprisings.

Neat bird pix's Jezer.

We have 2 trash pickups a week and occasionaly we forget one. Since i'm designated to be charge of it I get the reprimand...

Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,819,262 times
Yes, I know what it is.

And I've forgotten a number of times. The garbage can gets pretty stinky that second week in. Once I put the trash in the recycle bin and did not realize it (old age, ya know?). They didn't pick it up as it wasn't the week for recycle, and if they had the recyclers would not have been happy with the result.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,840,961 times
A garbage pick up only twice a month???? I can't imagine the smell in the summer. Yes I knew what a fortnight is too. Jezer. You wouldn't want to swap houses for a week would you? I'll look at the wild life and you could live the wild life in the Chi town? I'll take good care of Molly and the kitty and you might want to take the Yorkie home with you.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,027,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Fortnight...is like girls night out, one night a year you go out and celebrate in a Fort... Though some people do it every 2 weeks during the uprisings.

Neat bird pix's Jezer.

We have 2 trash pickups a week and occasionaly we forget one. Since i'm designated to be charge of it I get the reprimand...
That's what I thought!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,066,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Poppy's got more sense!

Have you seen the size of the claws on those birds?

Mind you, I have a picture of her stalking a pheasant from some time ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit- got it but have had trouble cropping it, so it's spot the cat competition!

Love it that pheasant looks twice the size of Molly! One smart cat to just look and not attempt to touch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics