Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 AM

16,822 posts, read 17,594,688 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Am I the only one who can't believe that this is the last weekend before December?

As most of you know we are having to have a new kitchen installed, which will be early in the new year.

One set of plans have already arrived. The planner was asked, for the purpose of the insurance claim, to copy the existing plan. I've been going over it and have been finding a number of errors.

This brings me to the POTD, and is a broad based peeve;

People who can't follow simple instructions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,270,367 times
Ahhh.. the great multitudes that can't seem to grasp even the most carefully crafted instructions. Yep Jezer, it's a fact you just have to watch out for yourself. In fact in many cases you just have to do it yourself. I've given myself a lot of extra work through the years. Doing things myself to make sure it's done the way I wanted. If you have to stand over someones shoulder you might as well do it yourself.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,163,916 times
Good peeve. Worst offenders are contractors who don't listen to what you want done the way you want it done.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 AM

782 posts, read 1,114,433 times
I have learned that people have a reason for giving specific instructions and when they are PAYING you they are not necessarily asking for your creativity they are paying you for your skill. Hard lesson to learn for a creative person like me.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:10 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,549,841 times
I once tried to put together a piece of furniture from IKEA.
After having to get help from 4 people, perhaps I am the oneof those who gets lost in the instructions.
It was the most baffling set of instructions I had ever seen.

.....and it even came with this 'handy tool'..............

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/Image005.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,373,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

Am I the only one who can't believe that this is the last weekend before December?

As most of you know we are having to have a new kitchen installed, which will be early in the new year.

One set of plans have already arrived. The planner was asked, for the purpose of the insurance claim, to copy the existing plan. I've been going over it and have been finding a number of errors.

This brings me to the POTD, and is a broad based peeve;

Great peeve Jezer my friend!
LMAO!! So true. It's RIGHT in front of them and they are clueless! It's hilarious! OMG! I want to scream "get your head out of the sand"!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,862,535 times

True enough; but what is simple for one person may not be simple for the next person. When I think about my workplace (which is construction related), there are lots of times simple instructions get missed or neglected. There are all kinds of reasons for that...but none of them are good for the folks who are paying the bill at the other end. My boss for example is often very unclear what it is he wants done, even though it may be a simple enough task...the result is confusion and mayhem.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,530,381 times
Definitely a good peeve, and a closely-related one is also people who can't give simple, clear instructions when the task they are describing is pretty basic.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,096,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I once tried to put together a piece of furniture from IKEA.
After having to get help from 4 people, perhaps I am the oneof those who gets lost in the instructions.
It was the most baffling set of instructions I had ever seen.

.....and it even came with this 'handy tool'..............
Hey Glory, that looks like the set of instructions for a desk set I bought many years ago - went to assemble it and the instructions were backwards (literally). I had to reverse everything in my head in order to put it together POS was probably made in china.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,285,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My peeve in the instruction area is for those who are not really experts. Specifically, the people who answer the phone when someone calls customer service about a computer problem.
First question from computer expert: Is your computer plugged in?
Argh! You just got through telling him/her what the computer was doing which means it was plugged!
Now that's where I would like to throw a shoe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics