Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:13 AM

291 posts, read 716,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
BTW: the number one state that people move to Oregon from accordingto the DMV? Idaho.
Top states people move to OR from:
CA 27,306
WA 11,207
AZ 3,221
ID 2,435

Top states Oregonians move to:
WA 14,946
ID 3,245
TX 2,291
NV 2,174

See Drivers' License Issuance Stats at the bottom of this page:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/news/driver_stats.shtml (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 135,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
My step grandfather, cabinetmaker, hated all Californians. As a native Oregonian living in California, he made sure I knew just where I stood with him. He was all about the money. He thought Californians had too much money and they were too picky about his work. Requests to stress his woodworking by beating it with a chain did not sit well with him. He insisted that my grandmother leave all her money to my stepsister, which she did. His bitterness towards others ended his life a bit prematurely I’m convinced. Californians are perceived to have more wealth by Oregonians and resented for their success rather than embraced for the economic prosperity they bring to a community.

Dan
Methinks there was a bit of envy in his personality????? Or something strange anyway. Being a native San Fraciscan (4 generations!) I used to hate anything having to do with Southern California. You know, the same old complaints about them having too much political and financial power, stealing "our" water, etc., etc. And especially the hated Rams and Dodgers.

Then I took a job down there! Moved to a beautiful home in Santa Monica, overlooking the bay. What a great life it was, albeit crowded. I discovered...people are just people. We all want the same thing, basically: a good school, diversion, friends, a good restaurant. I loved it there. I really did.
But Oregon beckoned. I wanted trees, mountains, space and mostly, good drinking water. :<)

Now I have them all. In profusion.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:44 AM

29 posts, read 135,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeterSix View Post
Hi, Ok as a original tried and true Oregonian ( been here off and on for 38 years, not counting moving to different states for a bit then missing Oregon and coming home) ( I was also born here)
I have read many of the posts about Oregon etc.... I can honestly answer some of the questions for my family and probably about 60 of our friends as we have all had this discussion regarding Californians etc.....

I have nothing against Californians or any other States people, but what MOST Oregonians have issues with is the driving, ( some of the Cali's that come here) drive reckless, cut you off, pay no attention and run you off the road and then flip you off etc etc.... you know the saying one bad apple ruins it for the bushell..... now I have californian friends that live up this way and I adore them even they have been put out by other Cali's that drive through.

Some Cali's that have moved up here, have been rude, acted like they were better than most of us, and that we were stupid hicks...( not so even if I do live in a small town. I have a College Degree, and am far from being a stupid hick, the reason we live in a small town less crime less drugs no gangs and my kids are safe)

The high prices that out of staters bring is a bit much at times, houses etc... and then hearing about how California is better etc etc gets you to to say well then move home...... It rains here, hence all the green trees... ( I hear that allot, why is it raining so much, it's Oregon we rain)
but other than that we have no issue with out of staters....

Most of us are a real friendly lot. We smile, wave, help you out, watch your house etc etc...( at least in the smaller towns we do)

Now on Roseburg- Nice town decent shopping things to do at different times.
Myrtle Creek- Hmmm Used to be a pretty major drug town, Winston too.... Or areas of it at least... Always get a creepy feeling going to Myrtle Creek... I live in Myrtle Point which is roughly 60 miles towards the coastline...

No I am not being racist towards out of staters just letting you know what many oregonians I know think.........
I f I miss-spelled anything pay no attention am tired and sometimes I get stupid fingers lol
I'd probably go along with you on the driving thing. I was a pretty aggressive driver in SF and LA, but since I've been here a while, I've mellowed out a lot. So, give us poor (?) emigrants a chance. We're not bad people really. (It would be nice if they'd up the speed limit on the freeways to 70 in the rural parts, although it's getting more and more expensive to do so.

'Sides...it's dangerous to make generalizations, no?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
Exclamation I am so amused.....

I must say you WONDERFUL, kind, non rude Oregonians are EXACTLY to "ME" (a Californian) as I am to you i suppose. Give me a break. We are not bad people. And for all of you who seem to think your oh so above it all....come back down to earth for a minute would ya! "I" do not fully as a whole represent the state from which i come from. Well i do because i am a Californian, but how dare any of you say that "WE" are rude, and drive horribly, and yawda, yawda, yawda. I could say the same thing about you guys. So who should i hold responsible for some ass at the local OREGON super market, gas station, or on the road? EVERY OREGONIAN? Probably not. The whole point here is small towns, equal small minds. So because we move over here with a nice car and an "ALLEDGED" big family, and "ALLEDGEDLY" think all should speak spanish(which by the way i am latin, and i don't even speak spanish i actually speak SWEDISH! But oh how nice and smart for you to ASSUME this) you think you can throw up your rude and un cooth commenatry? Well do it all day and all night, but you will always be right about one thing with us from California, we are fighters. And will defend our sleves and our character. Listen, we are all different, and view things in a very vast retrospect. Get a grip and stop whining about something you have no control over and never will. It's not like we are in your back yard. If you don't like it, MOVE to another state where "YOU" will be the one looked down upon for the way you choose to live your life and go about things. See how you feel. And get back to me with it. Have a wonderful day

Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM

15,290 posts, read 17,788,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylooper View Post
I'd probably go along with you on the driving thing. I was a pretty aggressive driver in SF and LA, but since I've been here a while, I've mellowed out a lot. So, give us poor (?) emigrants a chance. We're not bad people really. (It would be nice if they'd up the speed limit on the freeways to 70 in the rural parts, although it's getting more and more expensive to do so.
Don't worry, Californians are great drivers. It's the cars with Washington plates that drive me crazy. If someone is driving erratically, slowing down for no apparent reason, then exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph, also with no apparent reason, I would bet you 2 to 1 that the car has Washington plates. I can't figure out what makes Washingtonians such abysmally poor drivers, but they need to fix it.

Californians do have a tendency to tailgate. The last legislature finally made it a serious fine to tailgate, so things have been getting better. Back when I was doing a lot of freeway commuting, I invented my Fabulous Tailgate Slimer (TM), which was a windshield washer pump, a gallon water jug and a nozzle pointed off the rear bumper. It did a good job of sliming a car that was following within a car length at freeway speeds. I want to say right now that, contrary to rumor, I never did pee in the jug. Nope. Never did.

I may have added a little yellow food coloring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylooper View Post
'Sides...it's dangerous to make generalizations, no?
Fun, though.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 AM

31 posts, read 202,317 times
Default will I fit in?

Interesting thread, makes me wonder how I will fare as a future CA transplant to a semi-rural part of OR? I tend to drive rather meekly (yeah I'm a blue hair but I always drove like this)...have been known to go blocks out of my way to avoid left hand turns in heavy traffic, would rather drive a splinter under my fingernail than to get on an LA freeway! My max speed hauling hay for my critters in the old pickup is maybe 55 tops,of course one does not haul hay on the freeway..without hay and some good music on, at non-deafening levels, I might go 65.. Love backroads and Sunday drives, hate cell phones,they distract from the scenery. My idea of fun on a weekend would be to go get breakfast in a mom and pop cafe,
take a country drive at a leisurely pace,frequent (safe) stops for picture-taking or collecting interesting things like rocks or wood or pine cones to take home,stopping at a farmer's market or roadside shop would be icing on the cake...sort of spontaneous driving? (yeah I do get out of the way for faster traffic and don't drive with my head up my...well you know). This sort of laid-back road behavior can almost get you killed in So. Cal, where I unfortunately have been stuck for most of my life. I envy those who are so lucky to still be living the semi-rural life (my CA town used to be heavenly rural, now notorious for big city assorted low-life and gang bangers) and I desperately wish to NEVER tell anyone in OR that I came from Cali, lest they think I am "one of them"! Will I fit in in OR with the rest of the perceived "hicks"?? Is there life after road rage? sue-z

Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,709 times
I have two kids and moving to Bend as my husband took a new job. I am an Asian ( Indian). I am really confused after reading the forum... If the Oregonians hate Californian how about an outsider???? Really so worried..... as i was planning to find school and get new friends out in Oregon.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 AM

15,290 posts, read 17,788,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue-z View Post
Interesting thread, makes me wonder how I will fare as a future CA transplant to a semi-rural part of OR? I tend to drive rather meekly (yeah I'm a blue hair but I always drove like this)...have been known to go blocks out of my way to avoid left hand turns in heavy traffic, would rather drive a splinter under my fingernail than to get on an LA freeway! My max speed hauling hay for my critters in the old pickup is maybe 55 tops,of course one does not haul hay on the freeway..without hay and some good music on, at non-deafening levels, I might go 65.. Love backroads and Sunday drives, hate cell phones,they distract from the scenery. My idea of fun on a weekend would be to go get breakfast in a mom and pop cafe,
take a country drive at a leisurely pace,frequent (safe) stops for picture-taking or collecting interesting things like rocks or wood or pine cones to take home,stopping at a farmer's market or roadside shop would be icing on the cake...sort of spontaneous driving? (yeah I do get out of the way for faster traffic and don't drive with my head up my...well you know). This sort of laid-back road behavior can almost get you killed in So. Cal, where I unfortunately have been stuck for most of my life. I envy those who are so lucky to still be living the semi-rural life (my CA town used to be heavenly rural, now notorious for big city assorted low-life and gang bangers) and I desperately wish to NEVER tell anyone in OR that I came from Cali, lest they think I am "one of them"! Will I fit in in OR with the rest of the perceived "hicks"?? Is there life after road rage? sue-z
I drive 45 mph on the county road to my house after dark, even though it is well paved. There are very steep shoulders, and a good deer population. Towing companies make good money hauling cars up steep banks, after they slam on their brakes and swerve to avoid a deer.

OTOH, my mother lives on a fairly busy rural highway, and the drivers there are lunatics! They drive like it's a freeway, when it is not. I have seen people come around blind corners at half a G, and hit 80 mph or more on straight stretches. Put drivers like that on roads with farm equipment moving 15 mph, and it's a recipe for disaster. Most urban types have no clue that farm equipment has the right of way on Oregon highways.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:04 AM

18 posts, read 71,767 times
Unhappy Considering moving to Oregon to start all over

I have read these comments and have researched the area a bunch. I also can see this anti-California sentiment....

See, I am 44 years old and I am originally from PA, and was raised a typical blue collar guy as majority were in that region, and built a small electrical contracting business over many years, and then sold that in 1996 to move to Colroado (my dream place to retire to), a place where I always enjoyed camping with my sons, etc. But at that time in the mid 90's, Colorado was experiencing a massive influx of Californians with a lot of money that not only saw the prices of everything escalate to major levels, but also the expanded growtn and developmenty of once rural lands where you used to hunt or fish or hike, all giving way to massive real estate devlopments and housing. Today, all the high tech CA industry lured to Colorado Springs is mostly gone in such a short time, many people without jobs, and now Colorado Springs experiencing its worse foreclosures ever in its history with vacant businesses and buildings galore and the former beauty (in my mind) gone forever because of this oversaturation of people and building and high costs to live there today.

Sadly, my first wife divorced me a year after moving to Colorado (she married a CA architect she met). I loved the native Coloradans and their attitudes and thought it was the greatest place to adapt and live. But in that 2 1/2 year legal process, I came aware that many Californians got into public and government offices, and the laws started to change, and so, many things that occurred to me in particular would never have happened in the former Colorado laws. The Californians came thousands a month for a long time, and started to make Colorado like what most of them left in Southern California- and it was NOT right! They did not appreciate the native Colroado as I and others had, but wanted to change this pristine state to what they left which was WRONG... Now Colorado is suffering badly at every level in my opinion.

So, when I consider moving to Oregon for its natural beauty and common sense people, outdoor activities a person like myself and wife could enjoy without massive liberal ideologies and agendas attached, seems nice. Then I read these comment pages. Yeah, I remarried, and the woman I married was from the Southern US, so that is where I have lived the last 8 years. I will tell you, there still holds many prejudices ot any outsider in the South stemming from the Civil War and you will find there are two types of locals, plus the major influx of Floridians who came here en masse and bought everything up just like the Californians did to Colorado- and now nobody who is an outsider or local cannot afford to buy property unless you are very wealthy- and that is WRONG! Here in NC where I have lived, you also have to contend with one of the largest employer abuses today of illegal workers and Mexicans and lower wages keeping people depressed into poverty levels, while major developers keep building upon former psitine land for $3.5million + gated residential home communities for the very rich who have 2nd or 3rd or 4th homes in the Blue Ridge Mountains region here not owned by any locals or regular outsiders like msyelf- So you are forced to rent to live here...

In the end, what I hear about Oregon scares me and my wife, as we were looking at it for its historical roots and what it was, and are afraid you may be experiencing what I saw happen in Colorado with the Californians, and now here in western NC with the Floridians; which both types of individuals came with lots of money buying anything they could forcing prices up and forcing many locals into poverty or even out of their homes in the process.. Here in NC, there have been cases when people in Florida plated cars were shot at, and dark tinted windows, common in Florida, is illegal here in NC and a first clue a person is from Florida.

I don't know what to think, but my wife and I were really thinking of picking up, with what little we have, and driving across country to re-establish in Oregon and build our futures there; until we read about this California invasion happenign there too.

This is just how I see things and would appreciate any e-mails from anyone regarding Oregon and the facts and what is going on there.. Investrman@aol.com

Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM

43 posts, read 195,646 times
Default Californians

I get the impression from many of these posts that if you live in California, you're a 'Californian', but in order to be an Oregonian, or Coloradan, etc., you have to be a native. Interesting!! I have to laugh, I'm a native Californian, and have, also, lived in Colorado and New York. We natives have been complaining for years about people who have moved here and changed the state. Our drivers were excellent, our schools were excellent, people were friendly -- that has all changed. So, I guess I get to blame ALL the people from other states (not to mention other countries) who have moved to California? That's absurd. There are rude, snobbish, self-centered people everywhere -- not to mention lousy drivers and those enviable people with money! In general, people here are getting more stressed, more tired, more impatient, sick of traffic, etc., and I think it's why the vast majority of these 'Californians' want to improve their lives and health and get out of here! And, if I'm not mistaken, we have every right to do so -- just like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon