Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM

346 posts, read 2,142,370 times

Advertisements

I think the general concensus is that people from all over, are moving all over and it is changing all over. Mexicans moving into so Cal are pushing So Cali residents out, Asians moving into NorCal pushing Nor Cali res. out, Californians are moving ALL over because they are being forced out is pissing off people from Arizona, Nevada and Oregon because Californians houses sell for more money and with them coming in they are driving up housing prices in the places that used to have lower prices and all the states on the west coast are changing (perhaps not for the better). I can totally understand this frustration even being from California because of the influx of people into my own state and changing what used to be a great place to live into a not so great place.

I just hope that Oregonians, and others can try to understand that everyone else is experiencing similar problems and it's not always California's fault. I definitely think if the immigration issue had been dealt with immediately we may have not seen so many problems like this come up. I know that a lot of Californians would not be moving if the landscape of their towns hadn't changed so dramatically. It's ridiculous that the neighborhoods get worse and worse, more violent, dirty and the housing prices continue to rise. It doesn't make sense and Californians are finally doing something about it... the ONLY thing they can do, move.

I have to admit that I am going to have the HARDEST time acclimating to the driving styles of Oregonians being a chronic 90 mile per hour driver myself and probably one that Oregonians would complain about. I think that's the only problem I'll have though. It's hard to change habits that are so ingrained in someone for many many years but I don't think that Californians are coming to Oregon to ruin it. We just want some peace of mind and beauty that has been lost in California. I can completely understand and empathize with the frustrations of Oregonians. Let me just say that I *have* been practicing driving slower in some slower towns so I can prepare myself for shell-shock lol.

As to the person who commented about not making any friends after moving to Oregon I would just like to say that I've already befriended about 5 very nice people from Oregon and I don't even live there yet! Two of them have even offered to let me stay with them for a few months while I look for a job up there. If that isn't Oregon hospitality I don't know what is. I'm going up there next month and staying with them to check it all out. I'll come back with a bunch of reports from the inside and the outside of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM

252 posts, read 1,128,396 times
"Chronic 90mph"????? In metro LA fwy , I can only dream of driving that fast after midnight.

Is speeding in Oregon that strictly enforced?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:46 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,057,106 times
okay, ya, our speeding/driving laws and enforcements are pretty rigid. To tell the truth, I once was pulled over and given a 1600.00 ticket for going 90mph in a 65mph passing zone. - the worst part about it all, was i was speeding cuz i was 6mnths pregnant and having premature labor and had been stuck behind an idiot who would do 45mph in the 65, til the passing lanes, then theyd hit 90s. - I got my ticket reduced to 900.00 when i was able to prove it w/drs notes and a daughter born 3weeks after the ticket! lol - also, I got a ticket and fine for stopping for only 2 seconds at a corner stop sign - youre supposed to stop for 3seconds. i hear our officers also now have new toys that measure the distance between cars so we can now get tickets for tailgating if we're not far enough apart. sigh - you know, im all for driving safe, and slowing down in neighborhoods/school/playgrounds/etc. areas, but even as a native Oregonian, I think some of our traffic enforcement laws/fines are rather, well, anal. Personally, i wish some of our tax dollars would go to schools more than even more laws/devices/officers to fine me for going 2mph over the speed limit. -
I have to admit, i wonder about those who say they move here and cant make a single friend. Not when I can honestly say, 95% of the time if Im standing in a line at the store, the person behind me/in front of me, often times we know each others names and how many kids they have by the time we're at check out. Criminies, I just went into a newer little store here in town recently, and ended up not only getting a discount, but a new friend and a lunch out w/her and her husband (and mine) the next day. All it takes is a little bit of friendly converstion. A new chili recipie from some elderly gentleman i met in a local 7/11 the other day, and even my 5yr old made a new friend at the store the other day. ya, we have our share of buttheads, hermits, and anal folk, but we also have plenty of friendly, open, gracious people. Just dont run us off the road. LOL - im just joshin you btw Des Demona!
Tiffany

Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM

LOL dang a ticket for 1600 bucks??? That's totally insane, especially when you have a really good reason for speeding! I'm having a hard time logically making that one click in my head. I have heard about the new devices that the cops have in Oregon where they can measure the distance between cars (I'm also a tailgater so that's not good). One of my friends from Oregon told me about it the other day to my great dismay. I have a feeling all the money I've saved when I move to Oregon will go to some kind of moving violation

You're totally right about Oregonians being easy to befriend. I mean, I've made a bunch of Oregon friends and I've never even been there! Well, my mom and dad swear they took me along the Oregon coast when I was little (Gold Beach and Astoria apparently) but I swear I don't remember that! I've been to just about every state with my family but I think I've mentally blocked those horrible experiences out. Gawd family vacations were the worst! All I remember is being car sick a LOT.

Well I'm coming to Oregon next month during my birthday/christmas (same thing really) to experience Oregon and I'm so excited! I just borrowed all my brother's snowboarding clothes to keep me warm lol. I also bought my first Nylon/Fleece jacket which was a whole new world for me. I didn't even know what fleece was. I'll come back and report all my findings.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:32 PM

331 posts, read 1,852,457 times
Coming to an Oregon intersection near you is the latest California MEGA money maker of all time! Yes, sport fans; Photo Enforced Intersections are the latest rage here in California. They are touted as a way to prevent traffic accidents. A camera set up at an intersection is supposed to stop someone from running a red light. Listen, the car that runs a red light fast enough to kill someone never saw the light at all. As you know in California, we can turn on red lights unless posted otherwise BUT they now have stoplights at yield intersections just so they can take your picture and send you a bill for $360. And the best part is they are FREE to the cities. The camera makers take a 50/50 split on the money. I just hate them. People are stopping at green lights. They won’t turn right on red at camera intersections even if they can. It is reason number #12 to leave California. I did not see any in Oregon but you can rest assured they are coming to your city. They are working on a speeding camera that just takes your picture and sends you a speeding ticket. It won't be long before they begin working on an electronic data link in your car similar to what the military uses in their airplanes so a computer can monitor your driving. If you don’t pause for your three second stop sign BOOM the police computer will send you a ticket automatically all in the name of Homeland Security. Won’t that be nice? In California, there is no shortage of ideas on how to increase tax revenue. There is a bill in Sacramento to add a 25 cents tax on each bullet sold in California. I can’t wait to get the heck out of here.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:37 PM

Yeah talk about Big Brother watching you. I can't wait to leave either. Which is probably why I spend all my time on Oregon message boards and Oregon webpages daydreaming and pretending I'm not sitting on the 18th floor of this highrise building breathing 70% carcinogens, unable to resist the tempting cookies that my department loves to parade in front of me making me fatter by the minute! I love this floor too... nobody smiles (I'm serious NOBODY) and nobody says hi to each other or even makes eye contact. There are signs all over the coffee machines and toasters and frige that say "DO NOT USE" because no one wants to share their toaster with anyone else, everything is staked out ahead of time. If someone from one department brings food you better believe they've got the hawk eye out making sure no one from another department tries to get any. People steal each other's lunches out of the frige. It's a miserable life let me tell ya. Everyone hates their jobs and this city and it's just so sad that I can't leave sooner.

Oh and sorry I meant to answer the guy asking me where I drive 90mph. I can't drive 90 until I hit the 118 fwy (by Simi Valley where I actually live) and I carpool which is usually empty there so I really can fly and make up for the time I've spent in the LA portion of my commute going 5 mph. I think it's just a frustration build up that causes me to overcompensate. I guess I'm incredibly aware that because of my commute I am losing 40 hours a month of my life. I can promise you that I only speed home... never to work. I'm in no hurry to get there! And Tiff don't worry, I am very pedestrian concious and I only speed on freeways.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 PM

252 posts, read 1,128,396 times
Well, at least cops having the time to ticket drivers over the issue of ONE EXTRA SECOND means there isn't enough serious crime in OR. In LA, if you're not dying, they don't bother. If you look @ it glass half full, its good i guess.

There's alot of those cameras here and you see the flashes going off after dark. When I approach one of these intersections and its been green for awhile, I just slow to a crawl and wait for the yellow. I know others do this too and it adds to the congestions but this lame city will do whatever to line its pocket over improving the quality of life by reducing traffic & pollution. I read in a car mag a while back and per that magazine, there has been negligible safety benefits for the intersections with the cameras installed. What is not in questions is the revenue they bring in.

well back to the subject....

Old 11-09-2006, 05:53 PM

46 posts, read 200,237 times
My huband was born and raised in california and I am an oregonian. He put a picture of oregon on his refridgerate and set a goal to come here. He never knew that picture would lead him to me and now we have four kid's together
When we met I had never been to California. He took me and the kid's to
Six flags, san fran, and santa cruz. Anyway....... He had warned me about the traffic. When we hit the first freeway. I found out he wasn't kidding. I said (just stay slow and safe in the slow lane honey). My husband was like are you kidding go slow they will run us over. (No bid deal for him he was use to driving in cal)
We were in san fran, We were driving around I pulled out my video camera and started filming some people that looked like gand members. My husband started yelling at me do not film "THE PEOPLE". We also saw a man painted all silver with silver clothes dancing like a Robot for money. He let us take a picture with him.
We went to that town that has the winchester house. shoot what was the name of that town. We had been driving all day and stopped at an "ATM" at night to get money for a motel. (Not smart) I grew up in a small town but I guess my husband should of known better.

We leave the Atm and pull into a parking spot at the motel.
My husband is in the drivers seat reading one of those road traveling coupon books my six year old was in the front .my seven year old was in the back with me. I was sitting in the back with my two mo .old daughter.
This car pulls up next to us . Five young 16-25 year olds. They were all talking except for the guy in the backseat. I had a bad feeling. My husband said not to stair at anyone. But I looked that guy strait in the eye. We locked eyes and never looked away. My husband was still reading out loud to me. Everyone in that car started to reach for the door handles to get out and that guy in the back seat yelled "stop they have kid's"
I told my husband back out of here "NOW" He said why you do not like this motel. He hadn't noticed the car next to us.
We stayed at a different motel in town but the next morning drove by that spot. They were not there. Doubt they were there for a motel.
They more than likely followed us from the atm and noticed the Oregon tags.
I will never forget thar guy in the backseat.
What do you think they would of done?

Old 11-09-2006, 07:45 PM

85 posts, read 644,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsixpack View Post
We went to that town that has the winchester house. shoot what was the name of that town.

San Jose. An hour from Santa Cruz (where I used to live).

Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM

217 posts, read 1,003,700 times
Default YES! YES! Snb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
YES! YES! YES!

About the comment about Asians buying out properties in CA: Being Asian myself, I've seen this happening for about 20 yrs. If they are coming to eventually become US citizens, that is fine but a good portion are not. They are buying properties for investment only and/or buying properties in areas with good schools to send their foreign born kids to. They make no attempt to assimilate into US lifestyles and that really irks me personally. To me, this is not too far from the illegal immigration from the southern border issue, they are simply buying their stay here and that is not right.
I admire you for responding to my post. I don't like to bash any race, but you called it as it is. In Mountain View CA where I live, you can drive around in this city and at least 50% of the people you see are Asian. A big problem driving around is the Asian population is used to driving on the other side of the street LOL. You are correct. My complex is being purchased by Asians. The so called white people are getting few and far between. Thanks for being so honest. Skitow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon