Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 AM

13 posts, read 49,874 times

Advertisements

Hi, Ok as a original tried and true Oregonian ( been here off and on for 38 years, not counting moving to different states for a bit then missing Oregon and coming home) ( I was also born here)
I have read many of the posts about Oregon etc.... I can honestly answer some of the questions for my family and probably about 60 of our friends as we have all had this discussion regarding Californians etc.....

I have nothing against Californians or any other States people, but what MOST Oregonians have issues with is the driving, ( some of the Cali's that come here) drive reckless, cut you off, pay no attention and run you off the road and then flip you off etc etc.... you know the saying one bad apple ruins it for the bushell..... now I have californian friends that live up this way and I adore them even they have been put out by other Cali's that drive through.

Some Cali's that have moved up here, have been rude, acted like they were better than most of us, and that we were stupid hicks...( not so even if I do live in a small town. I have a College Degree, and am far from being a stupid hick, the reason we live in a small town less crime less drugs no gangs and my kids are safe)

The high prices that out of staters bring is a bit much at times, houses etc... and then hearing about how California is better etc etc gets you to to say well then move home...... It rains here, hence all the green trees... ( I hear that allot, why is it raining so much, it's Oregon we rain)
but other than that we have no issue with out of staters....

Most of us are a real friendly lot. We smile, wave, help you out, watch your house etc etc...( at least in the smaller towns we do)

Now on Roseburg- Nice town decent shopping things to do at different times.
Myrtle Creek- Hmmm Used to be a pretty major drug town, Winston too.... Or areas of it at least... Always get a creepy feeling going to Myrtle Creek... I live in Myrtle Point which is roughly 60 miles towards the coastline...

No I am not being racist towards out of staters just letting you know what many oregonians I know think.........
I f I miss-spelled anything pay no attention am tired and sometimes I get stupid fingers lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 AM

331 posts, read 1,850,392 times
As a native Oregonian, I would like to tell you that I hate Californians but I can’t. I have lived among them for 20 years. The California economy, ranked fifth in the world, and the weather attracts people to this state. If Californians were as bad as Oregonians says they are, businesses large and small would not located here. I have noticed that big cities with big populations are not as friendly to one another as people in smaller towns. I would not label Californians unfriendly. They just value their private time. They are not used to the kind of friendliness you find in smaller cities. There are two areas in the US that Oregonians compete with on the friendliness front and that is the Midwest and Texas. If I had to pick an order of friendliness it would be Texans, Oregonians, and then Midwesterners. In Texas, if you are too tired to cook you just have dinner over at your neighbor’s house. If I had to say something negative about Oregonians is that they like to blame others for everything they don’t like or that happens to them. I see a lot of that behavior here on the forum. I hate California for this. I hate California for that.

Bad California drivers cause everything that happens while driving a car. I have actually given some thought to that statement. I’m a pilot and pilots are very precise when it comes to tasks in the cockpit. We are the same when we drive. Turn signals have to be turned on at the precise moment and off at a precise moment and so on. I have absolutely no complaints about California drivers’ period. I have been accident free my entire life. Weaving in and out of lanes is about the only thing I can site as inconsiderate. I know I don’t like motorcycles going between lanes when cars are stopped on the freeway. I think that is dangerous and I don’t care for the use of cell phones while driving. Other than that, I have no complaints about California drivers even at 80 miles an hour bumper to bumper, I feel completely safe on California freeways.

If Oregonians were so friendly, and I think that they are, you would not see their bitterness towards Californians here on the forum. I for one am very disappointed in the misguided rhetoric I see coming from some Oregonians here on the forum. I loved Ronald Reagan’s line because if fits so well. It is not that Oregonians are ignorant, it is just that they know so much about Californians that isn’t so.

Dan

Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 AM

291 posts, read 710,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeterSix View Post
I have nothing against Californians or any other States people, but what MOST Oregonians have issues with is the driving, ( some of the Cali's that come here) drive reckless, cut you off, pay no attention and run you off the road and then flip you off etc etc....
My neighbor moved up here to retire from SoCal, and I like the guy, but he continued to drive "the way he always had". (As far as I could tell, all he did was drive 10 over, bulldoze his way through traffic, drift through stops, and run pedestrians off the street, like most Californians. Maybe he was worse when I wasn't riding along, cowering in the right seat.)

In only eight months, he'd accumulated several moving violations, been arrested twice (his daughter said he "had a disagreement" with the police), very nearly had his licence suspended, and his fines totalled just over $4000.

Anyway, SweeterSix, there is justice...

Old 12-08-2006, 12:31 PM

30 posts, read 196,283 times
I am a native Oregonian and I do believe that some fresh blood is nice. The thing is Oregon is no longer a "cheap" place to live. Sure some housing costs are cheaper but the wages are depressed as well. I would move back home in a second but I don't want to be poor again! Believe me I am not materialistic but I grew up check to check and no thanks to that lifestyle. In the valley people are commuting further and further causing out of control traffic and sprawl. It is going to be especially bad if the attack on the urban growth boundaries continues. Has anyone visited Kona in the last few years? Really sad. Additionally, the cops should enforce the driving laws and I have never seen more aggressive drivers than the ones here in Alaska.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 PM

Ouch that hurts ( his fines) I think that for the most part Cali's are used to being over aggressive drivers due to where they live, and don't realize that you don't have to be that way in Oregon ( well most cities for the most part)
I don't blame anything on Cali's or hate them for it.... You could be from Mars and if your a rude person I would say something......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
My neighbor moved up here to retire from SoCal, and I like the guy, but he continued to drive "the way he always had". (As far as I could tell, all he did was drive 10 over, bulldoze his way through traffic, drift through stops, and run pedestrians off the street, like most Californians. Maybe he was worse when I wasn't riding along, cowering in the right seat.)

In only eight months, he'd accumulated several moving violations, been arrested twice (his daughter said he "had a disagreement" with the police), very nearly had his licence suspended, and his fines totalled just over $4000.

Anyway, SweeterSix, there is justice...

Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarderJack View Post
I am originally from Bend and lived there in my formative years from 1992-2002. Even though Bend has become this trendy spot for outsiders from all over to move to, it still has a base of people that are small town eastern Oregonians. They (and myself included) get frustrated when we get cut off by somebody with California plates on their car or else you hear somebody from California go on about how nice things were there. (Covered in a previous response.)

The point I wanted to add was that outsiders moving in from more expensive places is exactly why Bend has also become overpriced. People take their equity from a house in California that they paid 500k and are in turn able to get a pretty nice house in Bend. People are snatching up some pretty nice houses because they are affordable by Californian standards. Now, this leads to the developers only building very large (and very expensive) houses. People originally from Bend will not nearly have the equity in the house they have purchased since most of them bought when it was still possible to get a decent one for under 100k. The wages are decent, but 30k a year does not let you afford any of the new houses being built...those are only affordable for the outsiders moving in.

That's the main reason I am frustrated with the huge migration, it's not because I have ill feelings against people from California, it's just that the only way I could return to Bend and buy a house would be to work in a high wage-earning place prior to.
Warder, why not ask all the locals in Bend, as well as the developers, not to sell to anyone outside of Bend. See what happens then.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeterSix View Post
Hi, Ok as a original tried and true Oregonian ( been here off and on for 38 years, not counting moving to different states for a bit then missing Oregon and coming home) ( I was also born here)
I have read many of the posts about Oregon etc.... I can honestly answer some of the questions for my family and probably about 60 of our friends as we have all had this discussion regarding Californians etc.....

I have nothing against Californians or any other States people, but what MOST Oregonians have issues with is the driving, ( some of the Cali's that come here) drive reckless, cut you off, pay no attention and run you off the road and then flip you off etc etc.... you know the saying one bad apple ruins it for the bushell..... now I have californian friends that live up this way and I adore them even they have been put out by other Cali's that drive through.

Some Cali's that have moved up here, have been rude, acted like they were better than most of us, and that we were stupid hicks...( not so even if I do live in a small town. I have a College Degree, and am far from being a stupid hick, the reason we live in a small town less crime less drugs no gangs and my kids are safe)

The high prices that out of staters bring is a bit much at times, houses etc... and then hearing about how California is better etc etc gets you to to say well then move home...... It rains here, hence all the green trees... ( I hear that allot, why is it raining so much, it's Oregon we rain)
but other than that we have no issue with out of staters....

Most of us are a real friendly lot. We smile, wave, help you out, watch your house etc etc...( at least in the smaller towns we do)

Now on Roseburg- Nice town decent shopping things to do at different times.
Myrtle Creek- Hmmm Used to be a pretty major drug town, Winston too.... Or areas of it at least... Always get a creepy feeling going to Myrtle Creek... I live in Myrtle Point which is roughly 60 miles towards the coastline...

No I am not being racist towards out of staters just letting you know what many oregonians I know think.........
I f I miss-spelled anything pay no attention am tired and sometimes I get stupid fingers lol
You guys need to get out more and stop being so judgemental. I'm a native NY'r, lived there until I was 30. Moved to the Bahamas for three years, then to CT (Fairfield County) for fourteen years. Husband is from UK. He's lived in England, France, Italy and Switzerland. We moved to Ventura County five years ago, then to Ashland.

So I've been around and lived in a few places, as has my spouse.

Bad drivers are EVERYWHERE. Cali's are bad. NY'rs are bad. Nutmeggers (CT residents) are bad. Mention the state of New Jersey to any cabbie in NYC, even one from Bangalore, India, and they shudder with revulsion. All drivers think they are good, and everyone else is bad. Saying all Californio's are bad drivers is wishful thinking.

As humans, we seem to need scapegoats. In Oregon, Californians fit that bill. History has shown us that scapegoats are prominent. I won't make comparisons, but the ones I'm thinking of are not attractive.

Oregonians need to be less insular, think outside the box a little bit, and be ready to embrace positive change. It will happen whether they want it to or not.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 PM

I'm pretty sure I stated I was not being that way just what other oregonians I know, say regarding it. It was not said ALL Cali's are bad drivers..... Matter of fact I stated in different statements that one bad apple etc etc.... I did not take anyone on here saying all are bad...... I have lived in Oregon most of my life but I have traveled all over the US and World...... Drivers everywhere are bad and good but what was being said is the fact the move to a different state and drive like they do in their state. Which in Mountains not real advisable to do 90 and weave in and out.
It was not being judgmental it was observations.......... We do embrace POSITIVE change it is the NEGATIVE change that we do not like..... I do not see the rudeness and etc as positive change as many don't. Like I said I don't care if you are from Mars, if your rude and such I am not going to smile and wave....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
You guys need to get out more and stop being so judgemental. I'm a native NY'r, lived there until I was 30. Moved to the Bahamas for three years, then to CT (Fairfield County) for fourteen years. Husband is from UK. He's lived in England, France, Italy and Switzerland. We moved to Ventura County five years ago, then to Ashland.

So I've been around and lived in a few places, as has my spouse.

Bad drivers are EVERYWHERE. Cali's are bad. NY'rs are bad. Nutmeggers (CT residents) are bad. Mention the state of New Jersey to any cabbie in NYC, even one from Bangalore, India, and they shudder with revulsion. All drivers think they are good, and everyone else is bad. Saying all Californio's are bad drivers is wishful thinking.

As humans, we seem to need scapegoats. In Oregon, Californians fit that bill. History has shown us that scapegoats are prominent. I won't make comparisons, but the ones I'm thinking of are not attractive.

Oregonians need to be less insular, think outside the box a little bit, and be ready to embrace positive change. It will happen whether they want it to or not.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,862 times
Wink it follows

All the people who move here to escape their problems typically bring their problems with them

Last edited by Clear2land; 01-05-2007 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: California Bashing

Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 AM

12 posts, read 45,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
My perspective (as a native Oregonian) is that if you move here to get away from the "LA" culture, the auto-centric, self-cenetered, non-community lifestyle, you aill probably fit right in. What irks me is when people move into a neighborhood and then complain about the things that make that neighborhood attractive. When I lived on Hawthorne (the hippie neighborhood) a couple moved up from California and then complained about the drum circle that the neighbors had every sunday (that stopped at 7-8PM)!

But more often I have met Californians who are young and have families and want a place where there kids can bike to the store, where the Parks are close by and where they don't have to spend their days trapped in a car. Those folks fit right in. The other ones? There is always Bend; its carcentered, sprawly and conservative.

BTW: the number one state that people move to Oregon from accordingto the DMV? Idaho.
So where is this great place where kids can bike to the store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon