Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times

Advertisements

Wohelo, you can come move by me, I brought mint brownies to my neighbors when they moved in.
but ya, i think many people long for the positive parts of days gone by...of course, they tend to forget the trials of the same era.....

And yup, Steve Prefontaine was from Coos Bay. They still mark his training run out every year and do the PreRun....theres also a whole room set off in the library for his stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Mint brownies? Is there a place on this forum to share recipes? Sounds delicious!

Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I think some Oregonians are welcoming and I think some are not, thats my honest impression. I know in the few years I have been here, I seem to find myself always in situations where I am among large groups of Oregonians but few or none from elsewhere. I didn't plan it this way it is just that is what I got here. Like I said some are nice but truthfully, I would like some diversity and someone from elsewhere at times. Where I work, I am the only one that is from back east the others are all from this region and older. I find them friendly only to a very fine point, and in many ways cold and insular. I am uncomfortable with this mindset much of the time, and have found myself wishing that they would hire someone from New York or someplace. However I don't judge their beliefs, but at the same time I bite my tongue with the constant whining that Calfornians and people from back east have ruined their beloved Oregon.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Smile Landsman!!!

Hi, Jimrob1 - We moved here from NYC a long time ago for work. I found Oregon much like what you're still describing.

Insular mindset, and polite to a point. But if you're expecting diversity of opinions, a wide acceptance of other cultures, races, and ideas, you're not likely, in a general sense, to find it here. There is just not that kind of exposure.

What I like and still appreciate about NYers is that they can debate and argue, and no one gets huffy or takes things personally. Maybe just a tougher breed?

Of course, you know that the biggest whiners and complainers about newcomers and outsiders, in whatever state, are the worst offenders as far as 'taking care of the land.' IMHO!

I will always miss NYC, but have loved living here in Oregon. I hope that you will too.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 48,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Interesting you bring this up because when I took a trip to SoCal from Oregon a couple years ago, the further south I kept going the better the driving became. I'm originally from SoCal and learned to drive in SoCal. If you can't keep up with the flow of traffic, you really have no business on the road. Not to sound mean or anything, but that's the way it is down there. Yelling at people in L.A. is really stupid (again, not to sound rude), and as you mentioned people have been shot randomly out there. You're pretty lucky nothing came out of it. On the other hand, you can yell as much as you want at other drivers in Oregon, they really won't do anything LOL.

It was actually nice to drive in the congested highways in L.A. and San Diego. Alot better driving there.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oregonians are the worst drivers I have ever seen in my life

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 48,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I thought this was rather ironic timing......
first, i see this quote...

"I am amazed at the hit and run drivers here"

Then, in todays paper, I read this..
"U.S. marshals arrested a man in California late Friday who they say is a suspect in a deadly hit-and-run accident in North Bend (Oregon) from three days earlier.

Noe Garcia-Moncada was arrested on two felony counts of failure to perform duties of a driver involved in an accident, said Dale E. Ortmann of the U.S. Marshals Service in Portland.

Last Tuesday, Marilyn J. Vance, 68, was killed and her husband, Dallas L. Vance, 72, was critically injured in a hit-and-run accident in North Bend.

Ortmann said Dallas Vance was working in North Bend as a security officer for Social Security hearings. He has also worked federal court security for the U.S. Marshals office in Eugene.

Garcia-Moncada was arrested without incident as he left an apartment in Tustin, Calif., south of Los Angeles.

--- anyhow, again, i just found this ironic...
Tiffany

Why don't you check his immigration status. If he's not a legal citizen, then obviousley, he's not a Californian. How "IRONIC" is that?LOL

Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 PM

42 posts, read 191,922 times
I am a 3rd generation native Oregonian, and have lived in or near the Willamette valley my entire life.

I welcome new-comers to our lovely state. Please enjoy the beauty, the lifestyle, pick up after yourself, and leave it better than you found it!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,940 times
Default Orange County New to Oregonian

Well I have heard several snide remarks from Orgonians commenting on California people. I heard this one person say there was 90% to many californias in the area. Believe it or not most of the californians are not usual from caliornia originally. Last time I looked we were all Americans. You would never hear a california talking smack about a guy Iowa. I think there is a higher level of tolerance for differences in people. In California I have friends from Iran, Vietmam, Poland, Mexico, Cuba, Nicaragua, and your typical american.

One thing I did notice about Orgoinians is they have a strong sense of FAIRNESS. I see them wanting make sure everything is right..you might say rightiousness. This is just an observation and does not represent everyone.

By the way I drive safe. I don't understand why freeway is 55 here, 75 in Washington, and 65 in California. I like Oregon because of the calmness and the simple life done with sophistication.

In addition LAND has no true ownership. We are here for a short time, enjoy it and take care of it. You are really not an Oregonian, Californian, or American. You are just a person living for short time on the planet earth.

Last edited by JenBend; 05-27-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 10,894 times
Wink Oregonian's Friendly to Outsiders? YOU BET!

As a native Oregonian and as a person who has lived in California, Iowa, and North Dakota I can tell you that there's "no place like home!!" I long for the day when we can move back home.

I miss Oregon and we are currently looking for work there so we can relocate back home. My husband is currently looking for work in a small engine shop-he is an experienced mechanic of more than 20 years.

I have never experienced so much abuse as I have in all the times I've lived away from my native home state. Other states (not necessarily California, I only lived there a short time and when I was a teen) are very un-accepting to 'outsiders' and in all the times I've ever returned to Oregon and in a variety of Cities I have never been treated that way. Of course it may help that I was born here! I call Medford my home, but I lived in the Portland-Gresham area for many years. I prefer the small towns where you get more 'down home' attitudes, and good ole neighborly friendliness, but Oregon is and has always been FRIENDLY and if someone isn't, grow some balls, and let them know it!

Last edited by American-Opinion; 06-06-2008 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-13-2008, 02:48 AM

6 posts, read 23,761 times
Default Oregon as I have found it these last 5+ years

I am from Washington. I have always loved Oregon.
I lived and worked here off and on since 1984. I was always taken in by some family or invited home for dinner when I was here and my welfare was enquired about when I was not around.
I finally got the chance and moved here. I bought a home in Eugene. Nothing has been right since.

Sadly I find the people here to be fear based, paranoid, criminal,
dishonest, manipulative, hateful, racist, xenophobic, biggoted, lazy, money grubbing, theiving, and just plain small minded. Mostly tho they are full of fear, paranoid conspiracies and the plans for their next criminal act.

I have come to understand they hate Californians (all outsiders are Californians it's easier for their brains that way) in spite of what they say, because we bring a non fear based open way of life , are hard working, ambitious, honest, genuinely concerned about the welfare of others, decent and giving.

There is something VERY VERY wrong here in Eugene Oregon.

Right now her in Eugene in 2008 there is a Black Woman who has had to endure being called ****** openly in the public street. These same people who verbally abuse her, leave there bodily waste deposited on the doorstep of one of her businesses, break the windows, or scratch racist remarks into them. She installed a camera and the posed for it and went on ahead and made their deposit anyway! Acting as if they knew they would not be held to account. As far as I know they haven't!
There is intimidation, of her and her customers, threats are left anonymously, of course, and she generally has to be fearfuk of what might happen next as well as possibly losing the business.

I was robbed my first month here and the police would not come to my home. I was ripped off by a contractor and when I filed a complaint the CCB employee who came tried to work every area I was ignorant in as if he did not know the truth of the matter as a proffessional necessity. He openly lied to me about things I could easily check and did because he knew he would not be held to account. The contractor whom I hired to help me, encouraged me to sign the settlemnent with every indication that he intended to take the money amount for repairing the problem waited until I signed and the CCB and other contractor left and then walked away from me refusing to take the money and telling me he would not do the work he had just said he would to get me to sign, "just leave it" and he walked away. I found out that the amount was not enough and that I would probably have to pay more than I did for the building to get it fixed!
I signed the settlement so now I have no options! The guy I hired for help has a smart boss because he never sent me an invoice so there is no proof he was employed by me officially as a representative of their company! The boss sent him to me when I called and asked him for advice.
They don't do this to everyone it's only "outsiders"

There is a general hatefulness and resenment here about something that has nothing to do with "others" but the "locals" are so fear based and closed off they cannot even concieve of it let alone see it.

We need more people to move here, especially people of Color. It is a mild climate, the soil is fertile, the land is beautiful, and cheap There are 130,000 people in Eugene. About 2.5 million in the State. So there is plenty of room, and did I mention the land is cheap due to the lack of people not something else. I think what I am trying to cause to happen is called Exposure Therapy. The more these people have to interact with new people they will have a lesser and lesser negative reaction. Don't come if you aren't strong willed and astute or it will be a lot harder on you, sadly I know.
Peace Out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon