Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM

23 posts, read 87,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
My step grandfather, cabinetmaker, hated all Californians. As a native Oregonian living in California, he made sure I knew just where I stood with him. He was all about the money. He thought Californians had too much money and they were too picky about his work. Requests to stress his woodworking by beating it with a chain did not sit well with him. He insisted that my grandmother leave all her money to my stepsister, which she did. His bitterness towards others ended his life a bit prematurely I’m convinced. Californians are perceived to have more wealth by Oregonians and resented for their success rather than embraced for the economic prosperity they bring to a community.

Dan
This is exactly right. And many people are still like this. However, it depends upon the individual. Just don't act like you are better or more sophisticated than the locals and drive an obnoxious car, and you'll be fine. As for Portland, especially the inner-city, you will meet as many or more Californians here than "locals" so you'll be more at home than myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 PM

15 posts, read 43,854 times
Well, I just found this site, and am up to page 6 of 13. I have found it all very entertaining. I am the third female generation Oregonian in my family, my daughter being the 4th. For some reason, we keep marrying non natives. But I have not lived in Oregon since 1986. We struggled through the early 80's construction boom/crash and finally to avoid being a welfare statistic, we moved to the only place in California I was willing to go which is Mariposa, just outside Yosemite National Park. In your western gardener book same climate zone as the Rogue Valley! Here's just a few things I've noticed. I was born in Medford, grew up in Williams. I watched the 1950's/60's clear cut logging of the hills around Grants Pass and watched my Grandfather shed tears of dismay for his beautiful mountains. In the 70's/80's I watched the replanting and regrowth of those hills. Two years ago I went back for a visit and shed tears of dismay for my beautiful hills that have been ravaged by new construction. But I still yearn to move back and see what is still beautiful. Because it IS still beautiful. Sometimes, my heart aches so bad to get back up there more than once a year!
As far as the people go, well you guys have said it all. I used to be one of those people that said don't californicate ORYGUN, and I'm proud of it!!!. I remember once in the early 80's to keep employed , we moved from Willamette valley to California for about 6 mths then moved back to S. Oregon. I was grumbling about all the d___ californicators the had moved into MY S.Oregon. My husband had been asked to be on a softball team, but when they saw my California plates, there were quite a few negative comments about having a californicator on the team. I asked around as to city of birth. Not one person on the team was a native, no one had lived in Oregon more the 12 years. So I guess the ORYGUN attitude is more environmental than genetic.But lets take a look at the California that is not high rises and traffic jams. Mariposa welcomed us with open arms. This is a warm open community. But, people move here because it's beautiful, then complain because things are sub-standard to what they feel it should be. Twenty years ago when we bought our property,we were walking the property and the old cowboy who lived behind us came out and threatened to shoot us if we d___d city slicker/sobs tried to move the old fenceline the 26 feet back to true propertyline. We promised him that never in his lifetime would the fence be moved. We kept our word! He's gone, his wife doesn't care, and the fence is moved! I so enjoyed raising my daughter here . Taking walks with the moon and starlight only. We had 3 different types of owls we heard every night, not to mention a multitude of other wildlife. Then developers came in (and yes there was some overseas money involved) built horrible ugly houses with 50% of materials for facade,non usable space. What a waste! Bay area and LA people sold their homes for big bucks, all this driving home prices so high that young families like we were when we moved here, can't afford to buy a home so they are leaving the area( some have gone to ORYGUN) and then these newcomers mow everything down, cut out all trees they don't deem pretty(where will my owls sleep?), pave everything else and put in so many outside lights that I feel like I'm looking out at a football stadium on game night!!. What in the world are they afraid of?? How can they see our amazing sky?? But when I met these people, they really are very nice people. They are taking pride in their homes (Just as a different style than me) and are becoming active in the community. Nearly all my wildlife is gone, except for the gophers, and now I live in the the burbs instead of the country. At least by my standards. So that is the process. Mariposa is a beautiful place to live. Please don't move here!! Is it possible to oregonate California??
I guess the point I'm trying to make is it's the same everywhere. I still consider Oregon my home. I am a native Oregonian, but I guess I'm a Californian too. whooo! that feels weird to say. I so miss my green sweet Oregon, but I couldn't help smiling on my way to work, at the green shoots of grass and all the wild flowers that are blooming. I guess it's all what you make of what you have!
OK I know I'm long winded, but I just have to add my favorite person on this site is tiffela74. you rock! I bet you're a kick in the pants to be around. and Des_demona, since I've only read to 9/06 and it's now 3/08 you've probably already moved. I bet you're doing great! If you dread the day I move back to my ORYGUN, get out of the Willamette Valley!! I'm coming home one day!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,053,788 times
LOL!!!! OMG You just made my day!!!!! THANKS!!! Come on up and we'll have a visit. I was reading through your post, nodding, smiling and making comments to my husband and then read your last line. Awwwwww!!!!
Well, you enjoy your stay there, you'll come home when the time is right.....we'll be here!
BTW, now might be a good time, i know housing prices around here are nutso low! And so much up for sale!!! The house next to me, in front of me, and behind me are all up for sale now....Im begaining to fear I stink....(sniff sniff...nope, lemon verbena...lol)
Tiff

Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM

573 posts, read 1,453,096 times
I live in Oregon for over 25 years and left two years ago. It depends on where you choose to live as to how they see you. Over all I heard alot of bitching about the California people moving in. Personally, I did not care. In the smaller towns their seems to be alot of resentment towards people moving in from California. You do not need to share where you came from but word does get out. I wish you well but bewarned.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM

i think a lot has to do with each individual....Ive lived in Oregon for 33yrs and love ti. Haven't heard a whole lot of complaints about anyone from California, or any other state. maybe an off comment here or there, but for the most part, most people care more about what youre doing now, rather then where you were then.....the only ones Ive heard actually complaining about others, is when those others come here and start talking down on Oregon and how devistated they are to have left the paradise they were before....
anyhow, again, i think most of the attitude you get, is the attitude you give.
Tiffany

Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,060,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
i know housing prices around here are nutso low! And so much up for sale!!! The house next to me, in front of me, and behind me are all up for sale now....Im begaining to fear I stink....(sniff sniff...nope, lemon verbena...lol)
Tiff
You're not in Eugene are you? We are moving back to Eugene after being gone a year and we will be doing the home hunt once we get there.

I am so happy to be heading back to where I consider "home". I am a native Texan, in fact one of my grandfather's was the second President of the Republic of Texas, but I consider my home state to be Oregon. I am an Oregonian.

The first time we moved to Oregon, we moved there from California. We had lived in California for only a short time. When we moved to Oregon, though, and people would ask "Where did you move from?" - the honest answer to that question was California, but I was too afraid to say that... so we always said we moved from Texas. it was partially true... as we are from Texas... and that teeny tiny amount of time spent in California (which was miserable by the way) we don't really count much. We left as quickly as we could...

Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM

lol, nope, im in Coos Bay.
Tiffany

Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,060,170 times
Shoot. Love Coos Bay though!! Pre was from Coos Bay, wasn't he? Famous Oregon runner dude?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 PM

54 posts, read 413,114 times
Default Welcome

IMHO I think it is the times that we live in that we don't like - not outsiders. I have lived in many other states (Or since 70's) and the days of bringing a welcome basket of muffins to the new neighbors are over. When a moving truck pulls up you can see the blinds move and folks watching you unload but no warm and fuzzy times like the 50's, 60's or 70's. Perhaps, like another poster said it is those days we miss and not "do we like outsiders".
Just a thought.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:08 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,921 times
Post Welcome to Oregon, too!

Good comments from everyone, and well put, wohelo. Our family moved to Oregon a long time ago, and were never made to feel like we didn't belong.

In a relatively short period of time, we saw forested areas, open fields, cow pastures and horse trails turn into insanely overpriced little row houses, so things have certainly changed.

What breaks my heart is going to the coast and seeing all the clear cuts. Don't think that's the doing of a bunch of out-of-staters, though. And driving down the freeway looking over to Pete's Mountain, remembering that it used to look like a forest - not a house in site. Now it looks like a typical suburb, and a very expensive one at that.

I loved what the countryside was, but can't complain about "outsiders" buying up everything - wished I'd thought of it first! The harsh facts are if you don't own and protect the land, you're going to lose it (and we in Oregon have). Don't you think it's pretty much the same everywhere? Or not?

Population growth is unceasing; there's a steady migration of people from South to the North in the Americas. The same goes for Europe. We are experiencing a worldwide northward migration.

No amount of short-sightedness, sarcasm, or 'us vs. them' will stop it. Everybody will eventually feel the impact. Same concerns in Canada. Yup, the days of the neighborhood welcome wagon are long gone.

I got the info on migration from a friend who is a wildlife/fisheries biologist He is employed by native American tribes in Washington. His job is to help retain the tribes' fishing and hunting rights. He often travels to Alaska, Canada, California and Oregon, and is part of a multi-tribal/federally funded scientific study on this migration. I think he called it 'projective population shift.' (?)

The migration has been under way for decades. But Californians are not to blame, maybe they just have smarter realtors!

Oregonians are not whiners and complainers about new Oregonians. And believe me, there are other states where that is viewed as a genuine hobby for some people!

So, for my part, welcome to Oregon, enjoy the beauty, and help us protect it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon