Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 AM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times

Advertisements

Hi Dark Shogun:

We have all hashed this over on another thread. Just for you, I will post it again.

First, I am a native Oregonian who just happens to live in Escondido, California. Lets talk about driving skills. First, California drivers are the fighter pilots of the road. We drive on 4 to 6 lanes of freeway at 70 miles an hour bumper-to-bumper and side-by-side closer than the Blue Angles fly their jets. You have to be a good driver to survive here. So you can drop that one off your list. You say traffic is absolutely terrible. Well, it takes my wife 40 minutes just to get onto the freeway. Her 11-mile commute takes almost an hour so you can cross that one off your list. So Californians are responsible for your high housing costs and your crime. Okay, lets talk about that. First, Californians that have the money to pay top prices for Oregon real estate are not out robbing liquor stores. Real estate prices are all about interest rates and a few other factors but mostly interest rates, which determines if you can afford the monthly payment. I’ll say it again just for you. If Californians were responsible for your high real estate prices then Californians would be responsible for the higher cost of housing from coast-to-coast and that is just not the case. When real estate prices fall, is that caused Californians are moving out of Oregon? You can cross that one off your hate list too. Okay, you say Californians are responsible for the lack of jobs in Oregon and is interfering with your career path. An economy works on money velocity. If no one ever spent any money no one would an income. Every dollar spent is someone else’s income. When people stop spending the economy slows and it puts people out of work. So if I hear you right, you don’t want Californians spending their money to boost Oregon’s economy and size of your paycheck. If you want to earn more money, people have to want to spend. It is just that simple. Californians are good for Oregon’s economy so you can forget that and skip on down. Californians are not destroying their own state. I think it is population density and the number of illegal immigrants that are destroying California’s quality of life. I would dump that one into the trash. That is like saying that Oregonians are destroying Oregon. If you ask me, Oregon cities are in need of a coat of paint. Not so here in the Southland. I really came out of my chair when you said that you speak for all Oregonians. Well, I’m still a native Oregonian and I can assure the readers here on the forum that you don’t speak for all Oregonians. Californians are not to blame for your problems. Anytime you point your finger, there are three fingers on that same hand pointing right back at you. Your situation will not change until you change the way you look at your situation.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
Darkshogun are smokin hot babes allowed ?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 AM

180 posts, read 583,232 times
My perspective (as a native Oregonian) is that if you move here to get away from the "LA" culture, the auto-centric, self-cenetered, non-community lifestyle, you aill probably fit right in. What irks me is when people move into a neighborhood and then complain about the things that make that neighborhood attractive. When I lived on Hawthorne (the hippie neighborhood) a couple moved up from California and then complained about the drum circle that the neighbors had every sunday (that stopped at 7-8PM)!

But more often I have met Californians who are young and have families and want a place where there kids can bike to the store, where the Parks are close by and where they don't have to spend their days trapped in a car. Those folks fit right in. The other ones? There is always Bend; its carcentered, sprawly and conservative.

BTW: the number one state that people move to Oregon from accordingto the DMV? Idaho.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,791 times
Ohhhhhhhh my goodness I loooooove drum circles!! Do they still do that there? Where is Hawthorne?? I'm SO there! Oh and I'm a Californian who will fit right in with Oregon. I love to recycle, grow organics (eat organic and vegetarian although I do eat chicken occasionally) and ride my bike or rollerblade (I love to rollerblade) and I love parks and nature and giving back to the community. I've done a ton of work to help eradicate the homeless situation in Los Angeles (hopeless but I've tried) and I've volunteered with numerous organizations and I plan to do the same in Oregon. I always say to new people I meet "If you have the 'LA persona' you'll want to avoid me like the plague" I can't stand it here and I can't WAIT to move! I'm only here now because I am taking care of my father who is going blind and can no longer get groceries, perscriptions etc. But as soon as I can move I'm going to.

and Darkshogun I feel your pain, I really do. I understand where you are coming from and I do hope that Californians with the bad attitudes don't flock to Oregon as you say they are. I should tell you though that most Californians are either staying put or going to other sunny places like Arizona, Nevada, Florida, and North Carolina (not sure why). Many of the ones who move are the ones who want what you want. Quiet, friendliness, less dependence on cars etc. I feel the same way you do about the "LA" and "OC" types and I'm from that area, I'm just NOT anything like those people. That's why I've never had too many friends. Just a few really down to earth ones that don't fit in either. Don't hate, just educate them. Their will be an adjustment time for everyone. I really don't think Californians are going to ruin things like you think they will though. Oregon has strict land-use laws, the state is very environment-centered and I doubt Californians will be able to change that even if they wanted to (which is a good thing!).

Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 AM

180 posts, read 583,232 times
Places in Portland that you would like:

South east Portland in Genral, and the Hawthorne belmont areas in particular, but also woodstock sellwood, creston, south tabor, kerns.

Also check out the Mississippi Ave in North Portland.

Also maybe Eugene/Corvallis?

Old 11-27-2006, 11:02 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,791 times
I'm moving to Eugene but I will definitely be checking out those areas in Portland that you've suggested. Thanks for the tips!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:59 AM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times
The saying goes, if you want to be rich you have to live among the wealthy. The opposite of that is also true. If you wish to be poor you have to live among the poor. Keeping Oregon poor is not the answer. As I said before, money follows prosperity. If Oregonians are not prosperous, it is because no one is spending enough money. You have to remember that 100% of money spent is 100% someone else’s income. Corporations have to do something with their money so they spend it, which goes to the people that made the product purchased by the corporation. You are going to need some lesions in economics in order to discuss this further. Preventing money from being spent by Californians is not the answer to Oregon’s low per capita income.

Dan

Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
I live in Fullerton I. for one, am planning on the New England area. I only read this thread because it was started by a Californian wanting to move out of state and I was curious why. Then to read a post by someone that solely blames Californians for the materialism and bad driving in their state, well, that is just ridiculous. I admit, it threw me off a little, which was the reason for my comment. It's OK though...I'm pretty happy with with myself, no matter where I live. Maybe I should have just passed on commenting!
I'm from Ca. too and also moving to New England next year. Where in N.E. are you moving to and why New England? It's so unusual for a Californian to move there! Feel free to email me privately to exchange info about the area.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 24,837 times
I, myself have lived in just about every state in the union. (Air Force Brat) I moved to Oregon from So. Calif about 11 years ago and after finally getting (sort of )use to the rain. I absolutely love it here! It is green and lush (which without the rain, I'm sure it would be desert) the people are most friendly and I don't ask where they are from and they don't ask me. What matters is the here and now and who cares where one comes from? We all come from somewhere. When I am asked; I do tell of my many adventures in my life and that the last state I lived in was So. California. I have gotten mixed feelings on this. But it is all good. What I have heard is that most Oregonians are California transplants! Can you imagine!? So, like I said, we all come from somewhere! Does it really matter? NO
If you want to live here; come on up! If you don't. Then Don't! That's all I have to say on the matter!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:03 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegal06 View Post
I, myself have lived in just about every state in the union. (Air Force Brat) I moved to Oregon from So. Calif about 11 years ago and after finally getting (sort of )use to the rain. I absolutely love it here! It is green and lush (which without the rain, I'm sure it would be desert) the people are most friendly and I don't ask where they are from and they don't ask me. What matters is the here and now and who cares where one comes from? We all come from somewhere. When I am asked; I do tell of my many adventures in my life and that the last state I lived in was So. California. I have gotten mixed feelings on this. But it is all good. What I have heard is that most Oregonians are California transplants! Can you imagine!? So, like I said, we all come from somewhere! Does it really matter? NO
If you want to live here; come on up! If you don't. Then Don't! That's all I have to say on the matter!
I guess everyone wants to keep OR for themselves. It must be that good. Cali sure isn't anymore.
Sharing is caring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon