Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 PM

115 posts, read 193,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
What should be interesting is how Santa Ana will gentrify ( and it will) in the up coming years and how locals will resist or deal with it. ( parts of Los Angeles are already dealing with this)

Santa Ana has a lot of potential, but what needs to be addressed and watched is "how" it will grow.

Haphazard development would further strain infrastructure. OC doesn't have to emulate DTLA and can advance and grow with it's own flavor.

Older immigrant areas legal and illegal will eventually clash with newer residents and 2nd/3rd generation Santa Anans that have moved up successfully.

More and more gangbangers and losers will eventually be pushed out to the Inland Empire( unfortunately for the IE) as development and prices escalate.

Instead of stagnating Santa Ana will go through growing pains and if handled right will improve.

With enough money, investors, planning and foresight it's inevitable.
Major revitalization of DTSA will occur when more private sector firms relocate there. I have suggested to a few developers that they should transform some of the under-utilized upper building floor spaces into creative office space. This is a trend that has taken hold in SF, Portland, Denver, and NY and is now starting to happen in So. Cal.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,831,824 times
Oh trouble maker Santa Ana, always stirring the pot on the tranquil OC board!

Last edited by rosa surf; 01-23-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've been to DTSA in the past year and was quite pleasantly surprised by the new bars and restaurants in a truly urban setting. This is what many people are looking for, that overall, OC lacks.

And we have gay friends who are wanting to move to Floral Park because it's becoming a new "gayborhood". But they can't quite afford it. 800K for a decent ranch house appears to be the norm in FP. There's even a gay bar in DTSA now. You know when the gays start moving in, the city is going somewhere (disclaimer: I'm gay!)
The gays gentrified and transformed undesirable and abandoned urban areas in San Diego that are now hot spots with cool walkable areas, full of cafes, bars, and restaurants. Yay for the gays!

Everytime I visit Santa Ana I see it getting better and better.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
My title is not misleading. I had people all around me, from family to friends, that would be like mbell and never give Santa Ana a chance. Even with the constant visual improvements backed up by statistics they wouldn't give it a chance. In fact, I discovered that this stigma had been entrenched so much they didn't want the city to improve as it almost became second nature to put it down. Although there was one family member that didn't want Santa Ana to improve because of racial reasons... yup, I am sure a lot of folks are like that.

In terms of "how SNA will grow," you bring up a great point. Santa Ana's growing pains are behind it. The 80's and 90's were the growing pains when the city went from a density of 5,000 people per square mile to todays 12,000 people per square mile. You had single family neighborhoods completely destroyed by small lot apartments and unchecked growth. Those days are gone.

The city is past those growing pains of going from a single family residential city to a full blown city with crazy density. Now it's maturing with new sustainable density and transit, not the small lot disasters from 30 years ago.
yes, that is very, very true, unfortunately.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,758,456 times
Imagine, we may one day see some middle-aged people from South OC abandoning their homes for expensive lofts near fashionable restaurants, boutiques and art galleries in a walkable SA.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,568,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It absolutely does not feel like a "huge, urban city". Not at all. It feels like a SUBURB. Not that there's anything wrong with that

I worked for many years in Irvine, near the airport. It's not urban.. but a suburban office park. The Spectrum? It's suburban shopping surrounded by parking lots. I can't think of any part of Irvine that is a street grid with store fronts built up to the streets and only on-street parking. In an urban environment, you can walk from place to place. The only place you can walk in Irvine is around a neighborhood of houses and condos, or across a parking lot to your car.
Ok then. By your definition, all of OC is just a suburb of LA. A suburb with close to 4 MILLION people, riiiiiight. Thats more than most STATES. Suburbs lol

Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 AM

9,962 posts, read 18,589,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Ok then. By your definition, all of OC is just a suburb of LA. A suburb with close to 4 MILLION people, riiiiiight. Thats more than most STATES. Suburbs lol
Oc is dense suburbia. It lacks the vast human made structures and services to be urban.

I would classify oc as a satellite surrounding Los Angeles. LA is the urban and business core.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,700,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Let me correct this for you. Orange County's population was 3,010,232 per the 2010 census. That's close to 3 million, not 4 million. You're off by 25%.

Secondly, as I already explained, urban and suburban are not determined by total population, but population DENSITY.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,758,456 times
FWIW, or not, it's funny how you can play with statistics and definitions. Looking at the density criterion alone, tiny suburban Aliso Viejo (7.47 sq mi) with a population of 50,165 and a density of 6,400.3, is actually far more "urban" than the much larger city of Irvine (66.11 sq mi) with a population of 236,716 and a density of 3,212.6.

Aliso Viejo (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Irvine (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by pacific2; 01-24-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,568,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Oc is dense suburbia. It lacks the vast human made structures and services to be urban.
What structures and services would those be? OC has high-rises, a rather large buss system and also a train. Things all urban areas have. Only having a few walkable downtowns does not mean its suburb rather than urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County