Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,442,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
missionhome, what is that trampoline/radar dish looking monstrosity on the roof of the Kaleidoscope building? I've driven past it a million times, but have never ventured inside.
The trampoline thing is the "Kaleidoscope" for which the center is named. At night they shoot a bunch of colored lights up against the tarp and they consider it a "Kaleidoscope" effect. It is totally pointless other than design and looks odd during daylight hours. It is over part of the Plaza Level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Looking North from what is now the Beach Cities offramp curve of I-5, early sixties. The 3 lanes of roadway are both directions of I-5 in the middle and on the right, and old Hwy 101, now Camino Capistrano, on the left. Note that both side of I-5 were only two lanes wide back then. Also note the room for expansion in the original grading of the right-of-way. They'd certainly need all that space plus some in the coming years.

The hilltop residence and the groves surrounding it are now where all the auto dealers are. The old Capistrano Airport (grass landing strip) can barely be seen
trending from the middle of the pic towards the left, directly under the white concrete strip of the San Juan Creek flood control channel.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Very neat photo Fontucky! Its so wierd to see what a place looked like before it was covered in development.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM

I thought I would bring my camera on one of the trails I like to do my morning jog because it has some pretty views. The pics are from two days, one was a few days ago when it was sunny and the others are from this morning, with clouds building up for the rain that is coming tonight.

Part of the trail, located at the top of one of Mission Viejo's largest hills between the Madrid del Lago and Barcelona neighborhoods.

View from the top of the trail at a look out point. From here you can look out over much of the Southern California basin. On a very clear day you can even see all the way to the skyscrapers of downtown Los Angeles and the Santa Monica Mountains faintly in the distance. The closer office towers in this pic are in the Irvine Spectrum area and the farther ones are the office buildings of the Irvine Business District near John Wayne Airport.

From this angle you look out over the city of Lake Forest and you can see the former El Toro Marine Base where a giant Orange Balloon is on the ground. The Orange Balloon is the first part of the Great Park (which I'm betting never gets finished in my lifetime) and I think costs a few dollars to ride. We first moved to South Orange County when my husband was stationed as a Marine pilot at El Toro in the 80's after we had been living in Texas, Florida, and Arizona (he is not longer in the Marines). Farther in the distance, the historic blimp hangars of the former Tustin Marine Corps Air Station rise above the flat terrain. Tustin is redeveloping the site.

This angle looks across the Saddleback Valley towards the opposing hills where the city of Aliso Viejo is. The large hill to the left is the back end of Laguna Beach where "Top of the World" is. On the other side is the ocean and Laguna.

This photo looks down towards Lake Forest, passing over northwest Mission Viejo. The taller building in the center is the Washington Mutual bank, marking the location of the El Toro Road and Interstate 5 interchange. The El Toro business area, Lake Forest's main shopping area surrounds that bank. Aliso Viejo and the senior citizen city of Laguna Woods is on the hills in the background.

This photo looks south, down into the Capistrano Valley with the ocean at Dana Point visible between the two hills. The city of Laguna Niguel is located on top of the hill located on the far right of the photo.

These two photos look down into the Barcelona neighborhood on one side of this hill. It is a nice clean neighborhood of starter homes, heavily located in the trees as you can see. This neighborhood is located to the northeast of the Alicia and Trabuco intersection. It is served by the Capistrano Unified School District's Barcelona Hills Elementary (API 860), Newhart Middle (API 840), and Capistrano Valley High (API 812).

Looking down into Madrid del Lago neighborhood from the jogging trail. Attends same schools as Barcelona neighborhood mentioned above. Homes are larger and slightly higher up the hill.

View looking over Madrid del Lago, with a sliver of Lake Mission Viejo visible between the homes at the bottom of the hill.

More trail pics

The neighborhood shown is to the northeast of the Los Alisos/Trabuco intersection along the Wilderness Glen Park. It is in the Saddleback Valley Unified School District attending Glen Yermo Elementary (API 792, one of MV's lowest performing schools), Los Alisos Intermediate (API 804), and Trabuco Hills High (API 823).

This photo looks back towards the large Foothill Ranch community, now a part of the city of Lake Forest.

More trail pics

The trail goes through Minya Park

Minya neighborhood, adjacent to the park and at the bottom of the hill below Madrid del Lago. Smaller homes, mix of Spanish and Tudor style, attends same schools as Barcelona and Madrid del Lago nieghborhoods.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM

14 posts, read 101,259 times
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/14837634.jpg (broken link)

Missionhome, thanks for this pic, put in alot of hours in that building sure brings back memories.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,207 times
cute picture!<333

Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 AM

41 posts, read 196,738 times
Hey beautiful pictures

Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 AM

106 posts, read 382,114 times
I would love to live in California. Great pictures!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 AM

6 posts, read 23,301 times
What a &5$#(@#@! YOU $u#pyou Panzy chicken **** son of a *****!!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 AM

6 posts, read 23,301 times
The damn pictures are FAKE you dumbasses can't see through this Idiot Savant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County