Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,482 times

Advertisements

Another 2/3rds inch of ice, probably an inch and 2/3 of moisture all together, more power outages, this time may last for days here at 5 miles NW of Piedmont.

So what has happened in your corner of the state? Sure hope we can keep this thread alive. I didn't start this with just me in mind.. Hope you all had a wonderful, safe.. and dry holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 05:54 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,550,973 times
Here at my house in Duncan, we never lost power. I am so thankful for that!

However, the wind was something else. It started blowing very hard Saturday evening and didn't let up until this morning. We got a good glaze of ice and sleet here in north Duncan, and my husband and I have stayed indoors. I can't afford to break an ankle or a leg while trying to get around on ice. (If we got any snow, it was extremely minimal.)

The temperature never got above 31F today according to my thermometer.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:32 PM

24,817 posts, read 11,241,286 times
Two days without power or Internet (important after a long holiday week!). Offered helps to our only neighbor and got a call. SO came to the rescue. I took a tumble, arched my back and hit the ground head on. Nothing like a fat ponytail holder to break a fall! Power is on!!!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:56 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,483,103 times
Cold and damp. The stray cat I feed and water hasn't been here since Thursday.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM

7,900 posts, read 11,463,735 times
One TV station in Dfw has technology they used to predict where the twisters were and which were on the ground. It was What channel 8 in DFW. It has some dropper capability to pick up twister funnels with debry in it as one the ground. They correctly predicted the numerous funnels in our storm this past weekend and we're more on top of things than y he other stations. Is this the latest technology for weathermen to use to protect us by predicting funnels? The only predicted them when spotted on the radar system bit still gave those in the path some notice to go to their safe place where most survived a hit. Of the 11 who died only 1 was in a hime. 8 were on I 30 in vehicles picked up and dropped, two were in a gas station hit in copeland.

Is this the latest and greatest as it appeared to be and was claimed to be somewhat unique for most TV weather stations to have?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,729,650 times
During my drive to Oklahoma City on Tuesday afternoon on Highway 33, I came up on an interesting change of scenery. Between Stillwater and Guthrie the trees started bending over from thick ice coverage, and it persisted down I-35. In Stillwater, trees only got lightly glazed. So Stillwater once again had a close call with an ice storm. As of Wednesday evening, 50,000 Oklahomans are still without electrical power.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 PM

24,367 posts, read 13,231,310 times
Power went out at 11 PM on Sunday night (27th) and returned at 9 PM last night (30th)... almost 72 hours. Thankfully I learned a lot from the January 2010 ice storm and had a power cable and transfer installed, and bought a generator big enough to power all of the house, plus added a fireplace insert. Had electricity, hot water, and some heat. Water pressure was low due to power failure at the Tom Steed Reservoir pump but not bad. (No internet, but that's because OnlineOK went out of business and didn't tell a lot of customers... still waiting for another ISP to hook it up.)

The weather station where I work has a piezo-electric wind sensor, and our maximum gust was 57.1 knots (65.7 mph) at 1:31 AM on the 27th. The sensor then froze up at 4:34 AM so no further data could be obtained. It must've been higher or else the ice accumulation was sufficient to take down another sensor tower with guys at another site. I only lost 6 shingles, got up on the roof during the peak of it to tack down any further losses; some other people around here weren't so lucky.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,729,650 times
I've lived in Stillwater since the 1960s and can't remember the electricity being off any longer than overnight and a while into the day. It was on two occasions, each due to a tornado touchdown in the city limits.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,482 times
FINALLY.. got internet back up today.. encouraged from the responses.

Get ready for next week.. what I think will be the coldest weather of the season hits hard early to middle part of next week and will last 4-7 days, depending on what model you look at. More threats of some snow and maybe a little ice. This next go around, cold air should .. hopefully.. be deep enough for snow, and still I'm not expecting much. Could see temps. approach 0F in northern OK. in about 10-14 days, especially if we get a snow cover with clear skies and near calm winds.. outside of maybe Thursday this week, hardly any place in Okla. will see temps. no higher than 55-60F for quite some time. More info when I have time. Hope you all had a great holiday season.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,550,973 times
Rocky,

I have been wondering if you have an opinion about what the severe storm season might be like this spring/early summer. Some people I have spoken with think it could be a bad one since the winter has been relatively mild. Others believe we won't have many storms or tornadoes.

Any predictions or is it still too early to contemplate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma