Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
... Just a few days ago, the data suggested otherwise. .. Will see how this all unfolds. This has been a heck of a pattern to predict but somehow...
I suspect that one of the most bewildering, demoralizing and otherwise unpopular jobs in Oklahoma is meteorologist. I've spent a good chunk of my life in the climatically boring deserts of AZ, CA, NM and NV, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, as well as in more-exciting-but-not-by-much climates such as Louisiana, Florida and even Hawaii. Then there's OK. Where else can the high be 70 at midnight with a low of 35 at noon? Regarding the weather, Will Rogers was right. Case in point, today. The original TAF issued last night was for 8 AM was scattered skies at 2500', but it degenerated rapidly before then to 500', and currently it's 300 overcast and 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile viz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
IF Oklahoma weather is so difficult to forecast and risk of getting it wrong, why has channel 4's Mike Morgan been doing TV weather in Oklahoma since when? The 1970s or 1980s? It is amazing him trying to keep up with Oklahoma's weather hasn't aged him more than it appears.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
IF Oklahoma weather is so difficult to forecast and risk of getting it wrong, why has channel 4's Mike Morgan been doing TV weather in Oklahoma since when? The 1970s or 1980s? It is amazing him trying to keep up with Oklahoma's weather hasn't aged him more than it appears.
He probably gets hazardous duty pay.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I've followed many on camera meteorologists in my day and I think that Mike Morgan is one of the very best in the industry. He has a genuine compassion to keeping us Oklahomans updated and safe in times of serious weather events. I say that not just because he's a personal friend of mine but because he just is one of the best. Gary England who now has formally retired is also one of my favourites. Gary had a unique way of conveying his reports as if he was just talking to you; a very personalized approach which I think is sorely lacking in most other markets.

I've had the pleasure of working with both Mike Morgan doing out on the field storm spotting up until a few years ago and Gary England with being a part of a local weather observation program he instituted back around 1983-'84 when I lived in Norman. We're blessed to live in a place where we have such talented meteorologists and as you know.. is no simple task in these parts.

Now.. a brief update on the upcoming weather, by next Wednesday, some of the Silver Maples and Bradford Pear trees may be on the verge of blooming with all the warm weather coming. 5 days of much above normal temperatures commence tomorrow and it won't be until next Wednesday at the earliest that we gradually return to more typical February weather, then starting the following weekend at the earliest but probably around Feb. 17th or so.. I continue to believe we're looking at an extended period of below normal temperatures and increased chances of moisture . As I said.. winter is far from over and I have concerns what that could do to some of the trees that will come out of dormancy with this upcoming mild spell.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I've followed many on camera meteorologists in my day and I think that Mike Morgan is one of the very best in the industry. He has a genuine compassion to keeping us Oklahomans updated and safe in times of serious weather events. I say that not just because he's a personal friend of mine but because he just is one of the best. Gary England who now has formally retired is also one of my favourites. Gary had a unique way of conveying his reports as if he was just talking to you; a very personalized approach which I think is sorely lacking in most other markets.

I've had the pleasure of working with both Mike Morgan doing out on the field storm spotting up until a few years ago and Gary England with being a part of a local weather observation program he instituted back around 1983-'84 when I lived in Norman. We're blessed to live in a place where we have such talented meteorologists and as you know.. is no simple task in these parts.

Now.. a brief update on the upcoming weather, by next Wednesday, some of the Silver Maples and Bradford Pear trees may be on the verge of blooming with all the warm weather coming. 5 days of much above normal temperatures commence tomorrow and it won't be until next Wednesday at the earliest that we gradually return to more typical February weather, then starting the following weekend at the earliest but probably around Feb. 17th or so.. I continue to believe we're looking at an extended period of below normal temperatures and increased chances of moisture . As I said.. winter is far from over and I have concerns what that could do to some of the trees that will come out of dormancy with this upcoming mild spell.
That was my intent... unlike many other parts of the US, the weather here represents a significant challenge to meteorologists, and their task is difficult at best. It's no wonder that the best meteorology department for colleges is at OU.

Maybe more, better data will come about with the addition of the new, demilitarized A-10 for weather research. My sister-in-law sent this. Of significance: I flew that very A-10, it was in my squadron in the 80s; in fact, it was my first-ever ocean crossing.

WEB EXTRA: Getting To Know Oklahoma's Weather Warthog - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Hello rocky and sluggo.

I am not ready for winter to be over. We always get a horde of ladybugs with the first warm temps. If we get a warm spell during winter we will get thousands of ladybugs coming out. They cover our porch, and it is bizarre! More winter temps, please!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Hello rocky and sluggo.

I am not ready for winter to be over. We always get a horde of ladybugs with the first warm temps. If we get a warm spell during winter we will get thousands of ladybugs coming out. They cover our porch, and it is bizarre! More winter temps, please!
Seeing (and hearing) a lot of sandhill cranes flying north the past 10 days or so, which seems early this year. Normally it's around the last week in February.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:26 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Hello rocky and sluggo.

There not ladybugs but look like them and they smell. I get covered with them. I have to keep the vacume going when they are out and then dump the bag because of the smell. Hate those whatever bugs.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
There not ladybugs but look like them and they smell. I get covered with them. I have to keep the vacume going when they are out and then dump the bag because of the smell. Hate those whatever bugs.
I vacuumed them one year as they were all over our ceiling. Nowadays, I just make sure the front door is well insulated. For some reason, they only swarm on the west side of the house and the carport.

We will have a lot of grass fires in the rural areas with these dry spells. No burning trash!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:01 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I'd like to tell that to my husband. We have or he has many large piles of brush to burn and screams everyday because so far I have not let him burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma