Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Thank you Rocky. Always checking to see if you have any new updates. Wouldn't mind a nice snow storm but no ice please!
Agreed. Last Friday it was looking like an ice event was imminent but it warmed from 31 to 34... 1.05" of rain to boot. On I-44 on Saturday there was something of a convoy of pole trucks heading southwest from Chickasha... local news said they were staged there as a precaution.

Rocky, yesterday our barometric pressure reached 30.93" at around 4 PM. Never seen it that high, only have heard it get that way in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
This winter is turning out to be one of the most persistantly cold winters in a while. For a long time, the temperatures have been unable to warm back to the sunny 50s and 60s without the weatherman saying another Arctic front is almost here again.

Barometric pressure has been getting lofty. On Wednesday the barometer peaked at 31.03.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
So, when do you expect it to get cold?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
So, when do you expect it to get cold?
It already did weeks ago. But the weather forecast expects the 50s to finally come back on Friday in time for the weekend. While staying stubbornly cold, at least this winter hasn't had record breaking lows or real bad snow or ice storms.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
Just a quick post.. about another 5 days of subnormal temps. than overall, about a week of temperatures averaging about 3 to 5 degrees above normal before potentially more cold to come to close out the last week of January. Still, I don't see anything that grabs my attention about precip. As I feared, the system slated for the Tuesday/Wednesday time frame will be minuscule and at best just a nuisance, but most of us will see a dusting of snow, possibly mixed with rain. Then as the warming trend commences.. little moisture. More soon as I see new data.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:04 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Just a quick post.. about another 5 days of subnormal temps. than overall, about a week of temperatures averaging about 3 to 5 degrees above normal before potentially more cold to come to close out the last week of January. Still, I don't see anything that grabs my attention about precip. As I feared, the system slated for the Tuesday/Wednesday time frame will be minuscule and at best just a nuisance, but most of us will see a dusting of snow, possibly mixed with rain. Then as the warming trend commences.. little moisture. More soon as I see new data.
Hello Rocky,

I prefer these frigid temps with no ice over balmy 50 degree days. I like having a bug-free season.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Hello Rocky,

I prefer these frigid temps with no ice over balmy 50 degree days. I like having a bug-free season.
Hello Redbird and all other winter lovers .. Well, I prefer some frigid temps. with at least some snow on the ground, but don't expect any of that in the near term. The system moving thru this morning is mainly affecting NW Okla. I don't see hardly a flake of snow here in the metro OKC area today. Starting tomorrow, the warm up commences and I think this weekend could feature temps. approaching 60F in SW Okla., 50's elsewhere before a couple of cool fronts (dry unfortunately) come through, lowering temperatures to mostly the 48-55F range for most of next week.

Further ahead.. most of us will be lucky to see a quarter of an inch of moisture between now thru the end of the month.. BUT, I'm still wondering if a storm system or two might try to give us at least a little rainfall the last week of the month.. not holding my breath.. I give that about a 25% chance of that happening.

I am increasingly concerned that a prolonged period of below normal temperatures once again will take a foothold for not only the southern plains but for much of the USA east of the continental divide with the core of the cold across the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley into the mid south. This should start around the last week or so of the month and much of February; at least thru the first half for sure could be quite cold. Unfortunately.. precipitation will most likely be below normal. However, with this type of pattern.. sometimes a renegade storm system, sometimes in the form of a cut off low, could affect our region, so we can only hope. If appreciable moisture doesn't arrive within a month, our wheat and canola crop will suffer greatly.

I see the possibility that periods of subnormal temperatures could occur into March; even April, which will make this the third spring in a row for below normal temperatures and uncommonly hard freezes.. maybe even a late season snow event. Past years with similar weather patterns have produced the latter half of springs as stormy and heavier rains.. time will tell, in honesty, long range forecasting like this, is a crap shoot.

I will do my best to update as time warrants.. please feel free to keep this thread going, your input is valuable, no matter how simple it may be. All the best.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 AM

We should not get any more late spring freezes, rocky. How do I know? ... because I don't plant a garden anymore.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Default Major storm system next weekend... to be, or not to be?

A quick heads up about next weekend (Jan. 31-Feb. 1).. the new and improved GFS model depicts a major rain/snow event for much of Oklahoma starting Saturday morning and lasting through Superbowl Sunday. As colder air filters in, rain should change to freezing rain then snow and could be some serious accumulations in parts of the state. The European model has been bullish on not much happening but still suggests colder weather will commence by that weekend.

With this type of pattern, as I alluded to in earlier posts.. we will be susceptible to these type of renegade storms coming in on the southern jet stream then cut off and meander through our area. Potentially, if the GFS proves correct.. this storm for next weekend could be VERY impressive. My gut feelings though.. that the GFS model will waffle on timing and strength and gradually fizzle to an ordinary system that should at least bring a spattering of rain and some snow..maybe like our last system just experienced, but I'm holding out some hope this could be more. I am very optimistic of a cold and overall more unsettled period between Feb. 1-10th, maybe longer. I'll do my best to keep you abreast.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
A quick heads up about next weekend (Jan. 31-Feb. 1).. the new and improved GFS model depicts a major rain/snow event for much of Oklahoma starting Saturday morning and lasting through Superbowl Sunday.

I'll take it! I sat outside one evening last week and the insects were buzzing around! Not yet, bugs! Go back to sleep.

Thanks for the heads up, Rocky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma