Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM

119 posts, read 273,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle04 View Post
Akron is a fantastic place to live.
Have you ever lived anywhere else? I hate Akron - have been here for 4 years now (because of school/job) and I keep looking for ways out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 PM

74 posts, read 198,454 times
1) Current or former Ohio location:
Current: Cleveland

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
· I hate the snow and the winters are entirely too long and too cold
· Folks are pretty frigid up here; no “hellos” or “good mornings” from passerbys on the sidewalk, heck, people barely make eye contact here on the street.
· Economy is in the toilet
· Sick of being raped by the Cuyahoga County Auditor and the School levies
· Not enough sunny days
· More tax hikes are around the corner – those to broke to flee are going to bare the brunt of it

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
· NC – milder winters without being as hot as say Florida
· Lower cost of living
· South without being “too deep” south
· Still can get land for reasonable prices

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
Virginia , Tenessee

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
· Employment
· Family

6) Anything else you want to say?
I would consider staying in Ohio if the state would correct its school funding issues and if Cuyahoga County would bring down its sales and property taxes. Oh, and if God would shift us from Zone 5 to Zone 7 weather wise. Since none of these things would take place outside of a fairytale, I fully plan to relocate out of the state.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,189 times
1) Current or former Ohio location: Cleveland
There is no opportunity here. We have been thoroughly brainwashed to believe that America is #1. We can't even see the parallels between the USSR and the USA. Since the economic meltdown of 2008, location is the most important factor to success. Granted, there are people that make decent money in Ohio. Then there are the people who had money from long gone factory jobs (or pensions), but all that is slowly fading away. A friend of mine made a comparison of Ohio being like East Germany before the wall fell. I see the similarity.

I will go where ever I can get a job and start living a decent life.

WA, CA, NM, CO, MA. . . there are tons of places to go. JUST GO!

This has really grown to a monster thread. I think it has strong significance and so I hope this thread doesn't get locked or frozen. There are a lot of people in Ohio that through no fault of their own have been born into a really tragic situation. Many talented minds are going to waste. It is clear that Ohio's legislature favors the rich and sees no value in a civil society. They have had over 30 years to attack this problem. Now we are one step behind Detroit in a race to the 3rd world.

Last edited by Pantoum; 12-14-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: HTML crap all over the place

Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantoum View Post
1) Current or former Ohio location: Cleveland
There is no opportunity here. We have been thoroughly brainwashed to believe that America is #1. We can't even see the parallels between the USSR and the USA. Since the economic meltdown of 2008, location is the most important factor to success. Granted, there are people that make decent money in Ohio. Then there are the people who had money from long gone factory jobs (or pensions), but all that is slowly fading away. A friend of mine made a comparison of Ohio being like East Germany before the wall fell. I see the similarity.

I will go where ever I can get a job and start living a decent life.

WA, CA, NM, CO, MA. . . there are tons of places to go. JUST GO!

This has really grown to a monster thread. I think it has strong significance and so I hope this thread doesn't get locked or frozen. There are a lot of people in Ohio that through no fault of their own have been born into a really tragic situation. Many talented minds are going to waste. It is clear that Ohio's legislature favors the rich and sees no value in a civil society. They have had over 30 years to attack this problem. Now we are one step behind Detroit in a race to the 3rd world.
I agree with you. I've been an Ohioan for 40 of my 47 years; NE OH specifically. I remember hearing about lay-offs and permanent closings in the mid to late 70's (as the parents of my friends were getting the axe and we were all in our mid teens). Both husband and I graduated college here, had our family here, are still raising children here (ages 25 to age 8).

Yes, Ohio has some very punitive tax laws for business, has punitive tax laws for it's citizens as well. State college tuitions are some of the highest in the country. And yes, you are right, there are still people receiving pensions from the "good ole factory days" (days long gone by) and those are dying off as the person receiving the pension dies. We're not talking about exclusively assembly line "factory" jobs, we're talking about all the various echelons of labor, from management/administrative to tech to assembly line labor; the whole kit and caboodle is gone.

Ohio has a brain drain as those with college educations have to go elsewhere to get jobs.

Can't really think of anything else to say other than Ohio isn't the worst place to live; it's served it's purpose for us (I didn't choose to be planted here as a young child), but it is where we are raising our children, not a place though that I want to spend the rest of my life in once that is accomplished.

Oh, yes, one thing that I do want to mention is that I'm sick and tired of the Ohio cheerleaders who keep saying that Ohio is gonna rise again (somewhat like the South is going to rise again mantra). As the days go by and we all get a day, a week, a year older....that begins to fall on deaf ears. One thing that makes sense to me is "save yourself" first. If that means moving somewhere where there are more opportunities for the life that you want to live, then go for it. Time waits for no one nor does one have time to wait for Ohio to "change". It's easier changing one's self and/or where one lives. For those who feel otherwise, that's good too. If you feel that your opportunities are here and you're young enough to weather another few decades or more of the same, that's fine.

The thing that bugs me the most is the Ohio cheerleaders that haven't even lived in Ohio for decades telling those of us who have been here for decades how stupid/ignorant we are for wanting to try somewhere else for a change and/or the "grass isn't greener somewhere else" line. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but you'll never know unless you give it a try.

Last edited by Donna7; 12-15-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I agree with you. I've been an Ohioan for 40 of my 47 years; NE OH specifically. I remember hearing about lay-offs and permanent closings in the mid to late 70's (as the parents of my friends were getting the axe and we were all in our mid teens). Both husband and I graduated college here, had our family here, are still raising children here (ages 25 to age 8).

Yes, Ohio has some very punitive tax laws for business, has punitive tax laws for it's citizens as well. State college tuitions are some of the highest in the country. And yes, you are right, there are still people receiving pensions from the "good ole factory days" (days long gone by) and those are dying off as the person receiving the pension dies. We're not talking about exclusively assembly line "factory" jobs, we're talking about all the various echelons of labor, from management/administrative to tech to assembly line labor; the whole kit and caboodle is gone.

Ohio has a brain drain as those with college educations have to go elsewhere to get jobs.

Can't really think of anything else to say other than Ohio isn't the worst place to live; it's served it's purpose for us (I didn't choose to be planted here as a young child), but it is where we are raising our children, not a place though that I want to spend the rest of my life in once that is accomplished.

Oh, yes, one thing that I do want to mention is that I'm sick and tired of the Ohio cheerleaders who keep saying that Ohio is gonna rise again (somewhat like the South is going to rise again mantra). As the days go by and we all get a day, a week, a year older....that begins to fall on deaf ears. One thing that makes sense to me is "save yourself" first. If that means moving somewhere where there are more opportunities for the life that you want to live, then go for it. Time waits for no one nor does one have time to wait for Ohio to "change". It's easier changing one's self and/or where one lives. For those who feel otherwise, that's good too. If you feel that your opportunities are here and you're young enough to weather another few decades or more of the same, that's fine.

The thing that bugs me the most is the Ohio cheerleaders that haven't even lived in Ohio for decades telling those of us who have been here for decades how stupid/ignorant we are for wanting to try somewhere else for a change and/or the "grass isn't greener somewhere else" line. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but you'll never know unless you give it a try.

Do you plan on leaving Ohio and where would you relocate to?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Do you plan on leaving Ohio and where would you relocate to?
Yes, at some point, I do plan on relocating. I don't know when as there are children that are still in school and a few will be in school for a long time yet. As far as "where", I'm still looking into that.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post

Sick and tired about Ohio Cheerleaders? Give me a break. Here we have a whole thread about people trashing Ohio and you are complaining about Ohio "cheerleaders." Frankly, you sound like a typical negative Ohioan that is constantly complaining and has no clue what living in another part of the country is like. I know the type well, as I'm also from NE Ohio and have come across the type often. I'm convinced that nobody is more self-depreciating that the Ohioan, particularly in NE Ohio. So what attitude should people have? Constantly complain and perpetuate the idea the Ohio is some lost cause?

I moved out of Ohio shortly after college and have lived in San Diego and Chicago since then. Not because I hated Ohio or couldn't find a job, but because I wanted to experience some different places. Please don't accuse me of not knowing the current state of affairs in Ohio either, because I return often to visit and keep up on local affairs.

The vast majority of people who I know that are motivated and educated have had no problems finding decent work in Ohio. Let me tell you that other places have their negatives and the economy is rough everywhere these days. Personally I think Ohio has a lot of amenities and a very low cost of living for what you get. Yes there are better places, but as far as I'm concerned those are the places where you will pay a rather large premium to live. I can assure you that other places in the country have their own set of issues to deal with. Ohio has struggled with a changing economy, but it seems to me that it has hit bottom and the region has started to evolve into something other than a manufacturing based existence. It's unfortunate that the generation that lived through the last few decades had to deal with the struggles of NE Ohio, but that does not mean it's ordained to be like that forever. It is much more productive to focus on the potential of the region rather than dwell on what was or what could have been.

I agree that you don't know if the grass is greener until you try it, but that does not mean people should be bitter about where they live or trash where they left like so many seem to do.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Sick and tired about Ohio Cheerleaders? Give me a break. Here we have a whole thread about people trashing Ohio and you are complaining about Ohio "cheerleaders." Frankly, you sound like a typical negative Ohioan that is constantly complaining and has no clue what living in another part of the country is like. I know the type well, as I'm also from NE Ohio and have come across the type often. I'm convinced that nobody is more self-depreciating that the Ohioan, particularly in NE Ohio. So what attitude should people have? Constantly complain and perpetuate the idea the Ohio is some lost cause?

I moved out of Ohio shortly after college and have lived in San Diego and Chicago since then. Not because I hated Ohio or couldn't find a job, but because I wanted to experience some different places. Please don't accuse me of not knowing the current state of affairs in Ohio either, because I return often to visit and keep up on local affairs.

The vast majority of people who I know that are motivated and educated have had no problems finding decent work in Ohio. Let me tell you that other places have their negatives and the economy is rough everywhere these days. Personally I think Ohio has a lot of amenities and a very low cost of living for what you get. Yes there are better places, but as far as I'm concerned those are the places where you will pay a rather large premium to live. I can assure you that other places in the country have their own set of issues to deal with. Ohio has struggled with a changing economy, but it seems to me that it has hit bottom and the region has started to evolve into something other than a manufacturing based existence. It's unfortunate that the generation that lived through the last few decades had to deal with the struggles of NE Ohio, but that does not mean it's ordained to be like that forever. It is much more productive to focus on the potential of the region rather than dwell on what was or what could have been.

I agree that you don't know if the grass is greener until you try it, but that does not mean people should be bitter about where they live or trash where they left like so many seem to do.
Give yourself a break (as you asked for one at the beginning of my post). You need not put the burden on your shoulders by defending Ohio or any other place, for that matter. I am entitled to my own thoughts and beliefs the same as you are entitled to yours.

If you (and others) will note, this thread is about "thinking about leaving Ohio", thus, there will be people who are "thinking about leaving Ohio" posting. As people change and grow, they often relocate to places that suit them better.

Life is about living your own life and letting others live their own. That about sums it up.

Last edited by Donna7; 12-17-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Interesting thread. Former Columbus resident for many years. Moved here and love it. Currently about 65, bright sunny day. Three miles from the beach.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.[/b]
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:

Toledo, OH

The job situation here sucks and it seems like everyone is broke... Why did I come back here in the first place... I feel this way about most of the state... Been 2 Cleveland (105th & Superior to be exact) doesnt seem different at all.... Been 2 Dayton (Third Ave and also Trotwood) not too different either... Not too familiar with Columbus and Cincinnati, but overall Im done with Ohio....

Texas

California or possibly back to Virginia

The New Year isnt here yet.....I leave the beginning of the year

6) Anything else you want to say?[/quote]

Regardless of how I feel about the current job situation... I still have an inner love for the state of Ohio... Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Dayton, Youngstown, and of course Toledo.... This will always be home in my heart, but Im kinda tired of being broke and everyone else around me broke... Tired of going to other parts of the state and the situation is exactly the same... No jobs, no money, nothin but broke people.... Ohio politicians need 2 make sum changes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio