Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 23,906 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,
I have been reading a little bit about Ohio, and am thinking of moving there.

How is Ohio's crime? Is there a very safe area/town to live in? That is my biggest concern, I just want to live in a small town, where it's safe to walk outside, no matter what time of the day.

The area should also be close enough to a large city, I guess something like 30 miles away... Is it possible to find a town like that?

Do you guys get the 4 seasons? Are there areas that get severe floods/tornados?

I found this amazing historic home in Lisbon. Anyone knows that area? I am not concerned about getting a job, we are retired.

I appreciate any input. Thank you all in advance!

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:23 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjasag View Post
Hi to all,
I have been reading a little bit about Ohio, and am thinking of moving there.

How is Ohio's crime? Is there a very safe area/town to live in? That is my biggest concern, I just want to live in a small town, where it's safe to walk outside, no matter what time of the day.

The area should also be close enough to a large city, I guess something like 30 miles away... Is it possible to find a town like that?

Do you guys get the 4 seasons? Are there areas that get severe floods/tornados?

I found this amazing historic home in Lisbon. Anyone knows that area? I am not concerned about getting a job, we are retired.

I appreciate any input. Thank you all in advance!

S.
If you're talking about violent crime, stay away from large cities and you'll be fine. If you're talking about meth production, then you'll find that anywhere, including small, rural towns. Try to pick a town that doesn't have a high unemployment rate as I've found that the higher the unemployment rate is, the higher the crime rate (even in small towns). I live in a small town and I don't walk at all times of the day and night simply for the fact that the town rolls up the rug by 8 or 8:30 on week nights and slightly later in the summer or if there's something going on (which is usually the summer).

Yes, there are four seasons. Flooding does occur depending if you live on a flood plane or not. Tornados do come through on occasion. Ohio, in general, has different climates depending on what part of the state you decide to relocate in. Not sure where Lisbon is, so can't comment on that. I live in NE OH (have been here 40 years), and there's definitely a strong and distinct four season climate pattern.

There are tons of small towns that are 30 miles away from large cities, so there's no problem there; you can take your pick.

All in all, Ohio will suit you based on what you've stated that you're looking for.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
Ohio has lots and lots and lots of small towns. We also have a quite high concentration of large metropolitan areas. There are only a couple areas in the state where there are towns more than 45 miles from a major metro. Of course, this counts Toledo, Dayton, and Akron as major metros.

I live in the city limits of Cincinnati and am comfortable walking my neighborhood any time day or night. I grew up in a small town where police might accuse you of "prowling" if you're walking around after midnight, but it certainly wasn't unsafe.

Let us know more about what you are interested in - absolute countryside, hills, conservative area, liberal area, etc.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,247 times
If you would like more information on the North Coast of Ohio, by Lake Erie and the Lake Erie Islands, we have a few small town areas on the lake that are great for retirement or vacation homes.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,075 times
Lived in several small towns in Ohio, never once felt unsafe. Where you would want to be depends greatly on what type of landscape, climate and metro area you're interested in. Places I've lived/worked in and can vouch for: Doylestown, Grafton, Strongsville, Brunswick, North Royalton, Wayne, Bowling Green, Tontogany, Fremont (not my favorite place, but quiet), Walbridge, Woodville, Perrysburg - take some time to look these up on a map and see the proximity to the cities nearby. If you want great scenery and distinct 4 seasons, head towards Cleveland. If scenery is so-so or the Lake is on the top of the list, definitely check out the Erie Islands / Port Clinton area. Western Ohio (Toledo, Bowling Green, Dayton, etc) is FLAT, but the communities are humble and people down to earth while the cost of living is very reasonable. I thoroughly enjoyed living near Cleveland. The crime that was there seemed to be very isolated among people who knew each other and petty crime. In the small towns, we were warned by the local police to keep the vehicles locked just because they seemed to have problems with bored teenagers. But, I never once felt insecure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio