Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,854,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Some people move because of weather. Many people move because of work. A lot of people move for both reasons. (I find that sometimes it's best to state the obvious on these forums)

I can tell you this....almost every single Ohio transplant I've met in the southeast mentions the weather within 5 minutes of realizing you're from Ohio. As in, "aren't you glad to be done with northeast Ohio winters??" or a similar comment.

Some people like snow. To each their own. But every Ohio transplant I've met is glad to be done with northern winters. Anecdotal, yes. But by most standards Ohio weather is pretty crappy. (yeah yeah I get it southern summers are hot etc etc save it)

OMG yes,that is how I will sound,when I get out of here! To never have to clean snow off my car or worry about ice ever again,and having to put off errands even grocery shopping,because I will not drive in that crap,let alone not being able to go somewhere for fun because of nasty weather 7 or more months of the year! Having to get your Vitamin D [the sunshine vitamin] out of a pill bottle. I will never,ever,ever regret leaving here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Some people move because of weather. Many people move because of work. A lot of people move for both reasons. (I find that sometimes it's best to state the obvious on these forums)

I can tell you this....almost every single Ohio transplant I've met in the southeast mentions the weather within 5 minutes of realizing you're from Ohio. As in, "aren't you glad to be done with northeast Ohio winters??" or a similar comment.

Some people like snow. To each their own. But every Ohio transplant I've met is glad to be done with northern winters. Anecdotal, yes. But by most standards Ohio weather is pretty crappy. (yeah yeah I get it southern summers are hot etc etc save it)
The weather is the starkest difference in that case. No Ohio transplants in Boston say anything of the sort. Because Boston and Cleveland have similar weather (Boston gets dark much earlier though). I just don't get letting the weather dictate your life.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The weather is the starkest difference in that case. No Ohio transplants in Boston say anything of the sort. Because Boston and Cleveland have similar weather (Boston gets dark much earlier though). I just don't get letting the weather dictate your life.
If you're a very outdoorsy type person, it certainly would. Worse if you're a city dweller who relies on public transportation; I didn't own a drivers' license until I moved to Ohio, now I can't imagine waiting 20-30 minutes for a bus in zero-degree weather. As a driver you have the luxury of going from home/car/work back again during winter months.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:

They don't bring up the weather because it's so much better where they are vs. where they came from. They bring it up because it's pretty classic human behavior to attempt to validate personal choices by trying to get people to say they were right. And it's way easier to validate something as trivial as weather than it is anything else.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If you're a very outdoorsy type person, it certainly would. Worse if you're a city dweller who relies on public transportation; I didn't own a drivers' license until I moved to Ohio, now I can't imagine waiting 20-30 minutes for a bus in zero-degree weather. As a driver you have the luxury of going from home/car/work back again during winter months.
You get to choose where to live. I never owned a car in Cleveland.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They don't bring up the weather because it's so much better where they are vs. where they came from. They bring it up because it's pretty classic human behavior to attempt to validate personal choices by trying to get people to say they were right. And it's way easier to validate something as trivial as weather than it is anything else.
And it's something easy to talk about when you're a boring person and have nothing interesting to say. You know, the kinda person who moves out of Ohio for strictly weather-related reasons. (This is a joke, relax)

Personally, when I've met other Ohioans, we tend to talk more about some kind of sport.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM

bjimmy24 wrote:
Quote:
And it's something easy to talk about when you're a boring person and have nothing interesting to say. You know, the kinda person who moves out of Ohio for strictly weather-related reasons. (This is a joke, relax)

Personally, when I've met other Ohioans, we tend to talk more about some kind of sport.
ROTFLMBO! I have no doubt that you are joking when you say when you meet other Ohioans you tend to talk sports,because anyone from CLEVELAND doesn't have ANYTHING worthwhile to say on that subject!

There are so many other attractions in San Diego besides fabulous weather. Balboa Park alone tops everything in the entire state of Ohio in just one location on 1,200 acres,IMO! Balboa Park (San Diego) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plus there is 70 mi. of oceanfront coastline!

Then when you figure in the rest of the state,there is so much to see,[the giant Sequoias Redwoods,Yosemite National Park,Disneyland,Alcatraz Island,Knott's Berry Farm,Venice Beach,boo-koo amusement parks] and do that it boggles the mind,and all can be traveled to in much,much better weather,making for a wonderful drive!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-27-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
bjimmy24 wrote:

ROTFLMBO! I have no doubt that you are joking when you say when you meet other Ohioans you tend to talk sports,because anyone from CLEVELAND doesn't have ANYTHING worthwhile to say on that subject!

There are so many other attractions in San Diego besides fabulous weather. Balboa Park alone tops everything in the entire state of Ohio in just 1,200 acres,IMO! Balboa Park (San Diego) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plus there is 70 mi. of oceanfront coastline!

Then when you figure in the rest of the state,there is so much to do and see that it boggles the mind,and all can be traveled to in much,much better weather,making for a wonderful drive!
Ohioans like sports. I'm not joking at all. You don't get out much, it seems. Clevelanders talk about sports way too much. Where do you even live?

Have fun in San Diego. I know you're posting here to try to blame geographic location on your discontent and to get validation about your life choices. Let me give it to you- you're making a wonderful choice, San Diego is beautiful, it's right on the ocean, and it has great people. You'll have a great time there. I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time driving. Sounds good to me. Good luck with your new life.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ohioans like sports. I'm not joking at all. You don't get out much, it seems. Clevelanders talk about sports way too much. Where do you even live?

Have fun in San Diego. I know you're posting here to try to blame geographic location on your discontent and to get validation about your life choices. Let me give it to you- you're making a wonderful choice, San Diego is beautiful, it's right on the ocean, and it has great people. You'll have a great time there. I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time driving. Sounds good to me. Good luck with your new life.
You are right, I don't get out much anymore,especially since some city planning morons destroyed my city's fabulous lakeside park by chopping down the shade trees that shaded the park benches overlooking Lake Erie and our beach. I used to go there daily and up to 9 of us met each night for the sunset and to walk the length of the park and visit/joke with the aux,cops on duty.

I live in Lorain which is 35 mi west of Cleveland on the southern shore of Lake Erie. Before my husband died,we lived his last 7 years on 9 acres in a rural township about 12 mi.from Lorain,but in the same county because he still worked as a crane operator in the steel mill here. We had lived in Lorain for 23 years before moving out there,so when he died of a sudden,unexpected heart attack,I moved back to Lorain,started hanging out at the lake/park,made new friends,and kept a few old ones,and it became our place.

My son and I have no doubt that we are going to be ecstatic in San Diego.We did also consider Seattle and Portland, but since housing costs about as much as that in SD,we decided it would be crazy to suffer with 9 months of dreary drizzle and still possible ice/snow,when for close to the same price we could have year round sun,without snow/ice or humidity,too!

Here,my son has to drive to Sandusky for him and his tween daughter to go to the Cedar Point amusement park,and it's the only one around.Cleveland Zoo is nothing to brag about. Every go-kart place has closed,so this place is BORING as can be imagined,and the jobs are gone. Ford shut down and left,and the steel mill has a few hundred compared to the 8,000 workforce it did have. Dead,dead,dead,boring,boring,boring,and my son detests Cleveland sports teams,which are a JOKE and their fans!
The one thing my city has is an absolutely amazing public library,which is in the CLEVENET system. That's it,thankfully I've always been an avid reader.
I intend to stay too busy to do much reading in SD.LOL!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-27-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You are right, I don't get out much anymore,especially since some city planning morons destroyed my city's fabulous lakeside park by chopping down the shade trees that shaded the park benches overlooking Lake Erie and our beach. I used to go there daily and up to 9 of us met each night for the sunset and to walk the length of the park and visit/joke with the aux,cops on duty.

I live in Lorain which is 35 mi west of Cleveland on the southern shore of Lake Erie. Before my husband died,we lived his last 7 years on 9 acres in a rural township about 12 mi.from Lorain,but in the same county because he still worked as a crane operator in the steel mill here. We had lived in Lorain for 23 years before moving out there,so when he died of a sudden,unexpected heart attack,I moved back to Lorain.

My son and I have no doubt that we are going to be ecstatic in San Diego.We did also consider Seattle and Portland, but since housing costs about as much as that in SD,we decided it would be crazy to suffer with 9 months of dreary drizzle and still possible ice/snow,when for close to the same price we could have year round sun,without snow/ice or humidity,too!
Then all else aside, it sounds like moving is good for you. I mean it sincerely and hope San Diego gives you what you've imagined it would.

I don't understand why people need to come on and trash an entire state before they move. Just move and be happy. Insulting the place that millions of people call home (7th largest state) is a bit juvenile and unproductive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio