Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Then all else aside, it sounds like moving is good for you. I mean it sincerely and hope San Diego gives you what you've imagined it would.

I don't understand why people need to come on and trash an entire state before they move. Just move and be happy. Insulting the place that millions of people call home (7th largest state) is a bit juvenile and unproductive.
You know,you are right.I am soooo excited to leave a part of the country that I never liked,but now I do feel bad about 'trashing' the home of many!

I wonder if I am able to delete these posts? I'll try.

Nope,you only get the option to 'edit' for a short time.

I do apologize for all the unkind things that I have said about Cleveland,and I will try to remember to keep that in mind in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They don't bring up the weather because it's so much better where they are vs. where they came from. They bring it up because it's pretty classic human behavior to attempt to validate personal choices by trying to get people to say they were right. And it's way easier to validate something as trivial as weather than it is anything else.
LOL. Yeah, that must be it. We're all just looking for validation.

Good grief.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The weather is the starkest difference in that case. No Ohio transplants in Boston say anything of the sort. Because Boston and Cleveland have similar weather (Boston gets dark much earlier though).
Well..duh.

Quote:
I just don't get letting the weather dictate your life.
As I stated above, it doesn't necessarily. I was just giving anecdotal evidence that most Ohio transplants who move to warmer climates don't miss Ohio weather. That's all.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
LOL. Yeah, that must be it. We're all just looking for validation.

Good grief.
It's just my opinion, but yeah, it is basic human behavior. We make choices, and then we seek validation for them as correct from peers. Weather is a bit different way to do that, but it makes logical sense once you think about it.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
It's just my opinion, but yeah, it is basic human behavior. We make choices, and then we seek validation for them as correct from peers. Weather is a bit different way to do that, but it makes logical sense once you think about it.
People also just have a weird thing about talking about the weather. I don't get it. Every day I come into work and someone says "OMG IT"S COLD TODAY!" Whoulda thunk it'd be cold in New England in the winter. I dont know, I just have very little patience for such idle conversation in general.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not denying that people try to rationalize their decisions. They obviously do. However you can't just brush aside every dissenting opinion as an attempt at self validation. Maybe, just maybe, some people actually prefer milder winters and warmer summers.

Using your own logic we could classify your disdain for weather-influenced relocation as a transparent attempt to justify living in the snow belt. See how this works?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
People also just have a weird thing about talking about the weather. I don't get it. Every day I come into work and someone says "OMG IT"S COLD TODAY!" Whoulda thunk it'd be cold in New England in the winter.
You should be used to this coming from Cleveland. Clevelanders are notorious for complaining about the weather(and everything else). Misery loves company.

Quote:
I dont know, I just have very little patience for such idle conversation in general.
So you're saying you hate small talk. Welcome to the club.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I'm not denying that people try to rationalize their decisions. They obviously do. However you can't just brush aside every dissenting opinion as an attempt at self validation. Maybe, just maybe, some people actually prefer milder winters and warmer summers.

Using your own logic we could classify your disdain for weather-influenced relocation as a transparent attempt to justify living in the snow belt. See how this works?
I fully recognize that some people prefer milder weather. That's not the point. The point is that people actually relocating for that reason is pretty rare, yet it's made out to be a huge influence. This is especially true of Northern transplants to the South. They likely moved for economic or family reasons, but they're always going on and on about the weather. It makes me think that maybe the South is not as cracked up as it's made out to be, or surely there would be more important things to talk about.

On a personal note, I will be moving to one of my most hated states next week, Florida. It's entirely due to a job, but I have no long-term plans to stay there. The weather is miserable and the culture is stunningly void. It's just a step on my way back to the North.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is that people actually relocating for that reason is pretty rare, yet it's made out to be a huge influence.
By whom? I just mentioned that the topic comes up a lot when I talk to other northerners.

You see, IRL people have conversations and typically talk about things they have in common. So...two people from the snow belt living in the south would tend to talk about the crappy weather back home. This is what we call a "conversation". That's how these things work.

Quote:
This is especially true of Northern transplants to the South. They likely moved for economic or family reasons, but they're always going on and on about the weather. [....]
It makes me think that maybe the South is not as cracked up as it's made out to be, or surely there would be more important things to talk about.
Here we go again. I tried explaining this earlier in the thread but this time I'll be a little more frank.

When someone enjoys something, they tend to talk about it a lot. SO, if a large number of northerners move south and find that the climate is more preferable then they are more likely to bring it up a lot in conversation. (Especially...I might add...when talking to other northerners who can relate)

What really boggles my mind is how you go from this:

Quote:
They likely moved for economic or family reasons, but they're always going on and on about the weather...
to this:
Quote:
...It makes me think that maybe the South is not as cracked up as it's made out to be, or surely there would be more important things to talk about.
In no way does one thought logically follow the other. You just sound bitter TBH

Old 03-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
By whom? I just mentioned that the topic comes up a lot when I talk to other
northerners.
It comes up a LOT. People don't say how great the economy is or how little they're paying in taxes or the great culture. Nope, they talk about how it's warmer in NC than Ohio in January. Breaking news, that.

Quote:
You see, IRL people have conversations and typically talk about things they
have in common. So...two people from the snow belt living in the south would
tend to talk about the crappy weather back home. This is what we call a
"conversation". That's how these things work.

Here we go again. I tried explaining this earlier in the thread but this
time I'll be a little more frank.

When someone enjoys something, they tend to talk about it a lot. SO, if a
large number of northerners move south and find that the climate is more
preferable then they are more likely to bring it up a lot in conversation.
(Especially...I might add...when talking to other northerners who can
relate)
I can't imagine moving to an entirely different region and having nothing more significant to bring up about the new place than something as obvious as a sunny day.

Quote:
What really boggles my mind is how you go from this:

to this:

In no way does one thought logically follow the other. You just sound
bitter TBH.
Why not? Economic/family reasons does not necessarily indicate that a region is better or more interesting than another, or that in following those reasons indicates a preference for that new region. I'm moving from arguably one of my favorite places on the planet to a humid, cultural wasteland for a job.

If so, I'm no more bitter than the many posters of this thread who can't wait to escape Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio