Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Lol no need to get offended if someone doesn't like our state. I never get offended if others don't care for the Buckeye, there plenty of things about it I don't care for.

I'm from and live in Ohio, but I can't say West5548 is making horrible accusations. They (West5548) said that they only lived here for 8 months, and they were able to come to this type conclusion in only 8 month? I have kin folk in NC and I still won't go back to visit them.

Eastbound, I wouldn't say Ohio has 4 months of winter. It's more like 6, seriously. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either, I'm just saying, West wasn't pulling that number out of his butt, it's pretty much true. You live close to the snow belt, equals more snow. But if you were in southweatern Ohio the winter isn't so bad.

Also, I wouldn't say Raleigh is full of dummies. Raleigh has North Carolina State University in it's city, and it's in the Research Triangle, surrounded by University of North Carolina and Duke University. Hardly dummies graduating from there. Plus, graduates of those places are staying in the Raleigh area since it's a nice area. I never said anything about Raleigh or the universities, I was talking about Fayetteville and Dunn NC. Not all kids that graduate from high school and go on to college, most of them either live off of mommy and daddy or become wopper floppers.

I'm just saying. Now is West correct on all his/her accusations? No. I wouldn't say all of Ohio's cities are crime ridden and dirty. Ohio isn't the armpit of the United States. I don't mind living here. In my opnion, it gets a bad rep. But, just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean we should attack one of their cities. Seriously, Raleigh isn't full of dummies. When Duke and UNC and NCSU graduates populate a city, it's far from dumb.
We (all states) have our own types of problems, but it seems to me from what I have seen and from talking to African Americans that came from down there, they still think it the 60's in the back woods areas.

And now I hurt, you forgot the question mark at the end of my name (EarthBound?). Oh well, life goes on .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,808 times
Hey Earthbound?,

Your Location: north central Ohio, UNFORTUNATELY!

What is so unfortunate?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
6-8 months of winter.
Even the most cynical among us would say that's quite a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other1 View Post
I remember living next to a football recruit in the dorms that was from Chippewa Falls, Wi. He thought Ohio had 3 seasons, winter not being one of them.
LMAO -- it's all about perspective. "Winter" also seems to be a state of mind ...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Even the most cynical among us would say that's quite a stretch.

LMAO -- it's all about perspective. "Winter" also seems to be a state of mind ...
I would agree that 6 months is a stretch. First significant snowfall typically doesn't occur until late November/early December and by mid-March that could be the end of it, but even if there is more, it's maybe one or two more significant snow storms at most.

I think the bigger issue as you point out is the 'state of mind', as it always seemed by late October/early November the clouds set in over NE Ohio and the perpetual grayness seemed to last into April or May. I remember last year we were in town over Christmas for nearly a week, the sun shone once for about an hour the entire time we were there! That can be very depressing to deal w/for 5 or so months.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Hey Earthbound?,

Your Location: north central Ohio, UNFORTUNATELY!

What is so unfortunate?
To flat up here and most of my family lives in this area . I like hills and lots of trees, the more, the better. And not a bunch of stinkin pine trees either, those are only good to build house with, I love seeing the fall colors. And if I can hit the next house with a rock, they're way to close.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
To flat up here and most of my family lives in this area . I like hills and lots of trees, the more, the better. And not a bunch of stinkin pine trees either, those are only good to build house with, I love seeing the fall colors. And if I can hit the next house with a rock, they're way to close.
I agree with ya there Earth. I particulary love mountains, if I can't have mountains, I'll take the pretty rolling hills. I also love lakes and the ocean. Too bad I can't afford to live up in Maine near the ocean.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Agreed, flat it is. If you could move anywhere in this country, where would you live?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM

Thumbs up Where else, by the great state of Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I agree with ya there Earth. I particulary love mountains, if I can't have mountains, I'll take the pretty rolling hills. I also love lakes and the ocean. Too bad I can't afford to live up in Maine near the ocean.
Boy you ain't just a whistleing dixie there lady.

Quote:
Agreed, flat it is. If you could move anywhere in this country, where would you live?

Montana, near Glacier National Peace Park or the BitterRoot Mt range area near Stevensville MT. Truly touched by the hand of the Creator. And the folks up there are some of the nicest people you'll ever find.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Montana, near Glacier National Peace Park or the BitterRoot Mt range area near Stevensville MT. Truly touched by the hand of the Creator. And the folks up there are some of the nicest people you'll ever find.
Haven't been to Montana yet, but I've heard good things about the state.
Have you been there? How is the winter there in comparison to Ohio?
How is the job market? Any better than Ohio?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,648 times
Quote:
Haven't been to Montana yet, but I've heard good things about the state.
Have you been there? How is the winter there in comparison to Ohio?
How is the job market? Any better than Ohio?
I moved here over a year ago from NE OH. We are now just west of Kalispell and can see Glacier Nat Park peaks over the Whitefish Mnt Range daily. The shear beauty was a big factor in our decision to move here. If you would spend any real time in the raw NW MT nature, you would soon realize how insignificant humans and the problems associated with are. No lie there !

The winters here are just as long as those in OH but more stable. We don't have the constant freeze-thaw cycles that OH experiences. It gets cold and stays that way until spring. We don't get any more snow than we did in OH, the big difference is that it stays on the ground when it arrives, like I said... no thaw cycles to melt it off, so as it comes it adds up. Last year we had the exact same amount of snow as NE OH did. Only difference was we had over 4' of it on the ground at any one time... Evaporation deteriorates the snow more than anything here. All these things will make it seem like winter is longer here but it really isn't. The biggest plus, our humidity is very low. No damp cold to deal with... my bones don't hurt here .

Job market... anything is better than OH ! Especially NE. But almost as bad as it is everywhere. Our economy here is like our weather... more stable as we don't have the big up and down swings in it for the most part like other States. It tends to lag behind the rest of the country a half year or so too and depending on your field... you may sacrifice salary to live here. But there is a price to pay for the simple life ! Well worth it if your a conservative type person. If one is looking for socialized city life and if not living in the middle of any of the bigger cities here, this State will chew you up, spit you out and leave you out in the cold cryin for your mamma ! It isn't for everyone and there isn't too many States like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio