Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,508,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
^^I"m sure there's a sizeable number of people in Youngstown who would disagree with you.
<br />
what about my main point that the people on these boards tend to be provincial? well played deflection!

it is true that there are a number of people in this message board who "defend youngstown" (if you are from there you know the joke), but they are in minority as far as people on the ground. youngstown is quite a world away from cinci.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
1) Current or former Ohio location:

Jewett, Harrison County.

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

Living in such a small place felt suffocating and the boredom was intolerable. I felt as though I was more open-minded and 'liberal' than others so it was hard finding like-minded people to befriend.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

Husband lived in San Jose so I moved there. Much more to do and the weather is absolutely wonderful. Our 'winter' is rain and otherwise the most you need is a light jacket. If we want snow, we drive a couple hours north. Want beaches? Drive a couple hours south. EVERYTHING is here and you cannot run out of things to do.

6) Anything else you want to say?

I'm currently moving back to Harrison County. The economy is just as bad here as it is elsewhere but it is Techy central so people are faring a little bit better. A couple places that I sent my resume to said they had gotten hundreds of resumes so it would take them weeks to sort and find a good applicant. The grass might seem greener but it really isn't. We pay $1,800 for a 2 bedroom apartment that is about 1,000sq ft and we are getting a decent deal. Gas is expensive, food is expensive and if you want to do ANYTHING it is going to cost you. I miss the community feeling and the slower pace. Out here, everything is GOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGO and everyone is in it for themselves. I also haven't heard a bird chirp in days, I miss it.

The husband has lived in San Jose a good portion of his life. He works in the tech industry and has a great job, however when we went to visit family back in Cadiz, Ohio, he LOVED it. He can't wait to move there as well.

I miss home.
We've been to Jewett and really liked it. Nice place. When are you moving back?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Keeping your house in Alaska was a good decision. Say, how does Alaska's winter compare to Ohio's? Other than the obvious of course.
The Alaskan winters can be more brutal. Snow can start late September and the ice remains underneath the snow the entire winter since the temperatures never go high enough to melt it. Alot more darkness there in the winter since there's a coiuple months where it doesn't get light until about 10 am and gets dark at 4 pm. That can be real depressing. And normally the temperatures in AK are alot colder. However, the temperatures here in Ohio have been reallllly cold. We said gosh darn it, the Alaskan weather followed us.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
You can keep Ohio! When the time is right, "We're outa here"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE THIS STATE AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT! And I was born a raised in this armpit of a state.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:54 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
You can keep Ohio! When the time is right, "We're outa here"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE THIS STATE AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT! And I was born a raised in this armpit of a state.
Another productive addition to this wonderful thread.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Talking you know your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Another productive addition to this wonderful thread.
thank you.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
The Alaskan winters can be more brutal. Snow can start late September and the ice remains underneath the snow the entire winter since the temperatures never go high enough to melt it. Alot more darkness there in the winter since there's a coiuple months where it doesn't get light until about 10 am and gets dark at 4 pm. That can be real depressing. And normally the temperatures in AK are alot colder. However, the temperatures here in Ohio have been reallllly cold. We said gosh darn it, the Alaskan weather followed us.
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:

My only question is, "how in the heck do the mosquitoes survive those deep colds up in Alaska?" I've seen documentaries on TV that show people completely coverd by those things.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
My only question is, "how in the heck do the mosquitoes survive those deep colds up in Alaska?" I've seen documentaries on TV that show people completely coverd by those things.
You only have to worry about them in the summers. They die out before winter. What State are you thinking of moving to?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You only have to worry about them in the summers. They die out before winter. What State are you thinking of moving to?
Ok, if they die off before winter, then why are they so thick in the summer? One would think that Alaska wouldn't have any at all .

My best half and I want to move to East End Oklahoma, some where around Muskogee or Cherokee. I was stationed at Ft Sill back in the late "70" and fell in love with the folks out there. I only came back to ohio because my Mom and Dad were still alive. Now its time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio