Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,395,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Charlotte and North Carolina suck. It's funny how this guy goes out of his way to mention LeBron's cook! He is just looking for people who leave Ohio for North Carolina. HAHA wow!

North Carolina is overrated. I know it will be just like Florida in a few years.

ZNguy, your sugarcoating (thats exactly what you are doing) of North Carolina is getting old. This is the Ohio forum, not the North Carolina. Stop promoting North Carolina here, please. It has gone past the point of annoyance.
why so sensitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 AM

174 posts, read 404,163 times
Quote:
Charlotte and North Carolina suck. Based on what? We have THOUSANDS of transplanted Buckeyes that have found great happiness here in the Carolinas.....I should know, I am one of them.

North Carolina is overrated. From what aspect do you speak? Most of us came here for climate, natural beauty and/or opportunity. Again, the vast majority have found that. With two of the nations fastest growing metros, it's hard to think of it as overrated, even if it's not your cup of tea.

I know it will be just like Florida in a few years. I actually kind of agree with this. It will be quite a ways down the road, but it is possible. But, that really has more to do with the northerners moving here, not the state itself.

ZNguy, your sugarcoating (thats exactly what you are doing) of North Carolina is getting old. This is the Ohio forum, not the North Carolina. Stop promoting North Carolina here, please. It has gone past the point of annoyance. Don't know anything about ZNguys posts, maybe he is an annoyance, I don't know, but this is a "Leaving Ohio - Fill this out" thread.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,281,329 times
I think people here just get tired of having the place they choose to live in being constantly bashed by outsiders, especially people who left for other parts of the country. This thread itself is a 34 page Ohio punching bag with no legitimate purpose (other than for original poster, who is long since gone, to get a few kicks). Forgive us for being a little defensive, but I'm certain that users of other boards would behave in a similar matter if their place of residence were being bashed in such a manner.

I'm not going to talk trash about Carolina. If people find happiness there, good for them. However I am quite suspicious about the need for so many former Ohioans who are now living there to come onto these forums and let loose about how bad Ohio is and how much better their new homes are. Perhaps Carolina isn't the great panacea that some make it out to be.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,597 times
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Columbus

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: No city life, culture, to much xenophobia and intolerance. High taxes. No fresh food.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Chicago or California

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Finishing up a job

6) Anything else you want to say?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 PM

174 posts, read 404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I think people here just get tired of having the place they choose to live in being constantly bashed by outsiders, especially people who left for other parts of the country. This thread itself is a 34 page Ohio punching bag with no legitimate purpose (other than for original poster, who is long since gone, to get a few kicks). Forgive us for being a little defensive, but I'm certain that users of other boards would behave in a similar matter if their place of residence were being bashed in such a manner.

I'm not going to talk trash about Carolina. If people find happiness there, good for them. However I am quite suspicious about the need for so many former Ohioans who are now living there to come onto these forums and let loose about how bad Ohio is and how much better their new homes are. Perhaps Carolina isn't the great panacea that some make it out to be.

I agree with you. I think Ohio is unfairly misrepresented on this forum. Ohio is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. As with any state, it has it's positives and it's negatives. Fortunately, I still think Ohio has many, many more positives than negatives.

I think it is natural for any person that has moved away to try to focus on the negative in the place from which they just left. It's their way to justify leaving. Kinda like an ex-wife...it's easier not to miss her if you only think of the bad things she did.

Conversely, we often get offended when others that have not made the move, criticize our new home, as it is a way of criticizing our decision to make a change. It's instinct to defend our actions.

Personally, I decided to leave Ohio for three reasons; mountains, beach and new adventure. I have found all three of those here in NC. Does that make NC better than Ohio? Nope. It just fits my wish list better. That's it. If the job were to send me back to Ohio tomorrow.....Who Dey!

Can a change in location make a person happier? It most certainly can. Is it the golden ticket out of misery? Probably not. For that, most people need to start by looking in the mirror, not at their surroundings.

No NC is not the Utopia that some make it out to be, but it is also not the hell hole that some on here make it out to be. Then again, neither is Ohio.

I'm still convinced that if happiness is really what you want, then it can be found in any state. You just have to start looking in the right place.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:57 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,281,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
I agree with you. I think Ohio is unfairly misrepresented on this forum. Ohio is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. As with any state, it has it's positives and it's negatives. Fortunately, I still think Ohio has many, many more positives than negatives.

I think it is natural for any person that has moved away to try to focus on the negative in the place from which they just left. It's their way to justify leaving. Kinda like an ex-wife...it's easier not to miss her if you only think of the bad things she did.

Conversely, we often get offended when others that have not made the move, criticize our new home, as it is a way of criticizing our decision to make a change. It's instinct to defend our actions.

Personally, I decided to leave Ohio for three reasons; mountains, beach and new adventure. I have found all three of those here in NC. Does that make NC better than Ohio? Nope. It just fits my wish list better. That's it. If the job were to send me back to Ohio tomorrow.....Who Dey!

Can a change in location make a person happier? It most certainly can. Is it the golden ticket out of misery? Probably not. For that, most people need to start by looking in the mirror, not at their surroundings.

No NC is not the Utopia that some make it out to be, but it is also not the hell hole that some on here make it out to be. Then again, neither is Ohio.

I'm still convinced that if happiness is really what you want, then it can be found in any state. You just have to start looking in the right place.
Great post and thank you! People need to spend more time being happy and finding the positive than trying to tear everything down to make themselves feel better.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 AM

206 posts, read 572,010 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:
Cincinnati
2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
Absolutely no jobs. Plus a lifelong want to travel. Also this state is boring as hell.
3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
Las Vegas, As to why, new and exciting opportunities.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
Seattle,Denver
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
Saving up the money. Moving within the year.
6) Anything else you want to say?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,973 times
Quote:

Once again, another NC forumer praising North Carolina. Thank you for visiting the Ohio forum! Honestly, I realize what the name of the thread is. I moved to Ohio and love it here, and its got a great quality of life. The constant bashing though is annoying. ZNguy is probaly just a troll anyway.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times
Quote:
Once again, another NC forumer praising North Carolina. Thank you for visiting the Ohio forum! Honestly, I realize what the name of the thread is. I moved to Ohio and love it here, and its got a great quality of life. The constant bashing though is annoying. ZNguy is probaly just a troll anyway.
Most of us just learn to take it with a grain of salt and pay no attention to them.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:38 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 524,339 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Most of us just learn to take it with a grain of salt and pay no attention to them.
If you look a little more closely, he/ she doesn't bash Ohio at all.

Quote:

Great Post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio