Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:36 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I think Red Lobster is better than Cooper's. For good seafood, try the Harbor House on Keyser Avenue. Much better than Cooper's. Of course we don't have the luxury here of having good seafood places like I used to frequent on Long Island.
I've been meaning to scope out Harbor House. Also, you can't beat the cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster!!!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-25-2008 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 PM

30 posts, read 106,460 times
Default Two cents on pizza issue

As a recently transported italian new yorker and being so used to the high quality of new york pizza, the switch to scranton and old forge style pizza has been traumatic.......until we found basilico's in dickson city. Having eaten new york pizza for 36 years, basilicos is even better than any pizza in new york except for totonno's and l & b. It's all in the sauce, and their fresh and pizza mozzarella is awesome. They have so many types of pizza. We haven't had a sit down yet. I still work in new york and eat ny pizza often. Basilico's is in the shopping area close to home depot on commerce boulevard. I don't want to knock old forge style pizza because people grow up on it, a town was built based on it. And they seem to love it. I strongly suggest that people try basilicos. And no i am not an owner or anything like that.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,626,914 times
Basilicos? its good, but not native to nepa.....when in Rome.......

Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,010,782 times
I hate Old Forge Pizza! Yuck!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
Anthony Arcaro was the founder of Anthonys of Old Forge. Most of the menu items were the same as the original owners. Most of the Appetizers including peel and eat shrimp, mussels marinara, mussels in wine, clams in wine, baked clams oreganato, Shrimp and broccoli Alfredo, were served there 30 years when it was the Willard Room. The exact same soups capoletti/ french onion, stuffed mushrooms, escargo, ect. all the same, . The original italian style haddock was served 30 years ago also, as well as the pork/veal/calabraise with a bed of homeade round sliced roasted potatoes is still being served. The original owner of Anthonys of Old Forge also served Tripe, stuffed whole calamari, homeade sopressata with cheese, Veal Osso Bucco, to name a few but these items are difficult to replicate. The new owner claims she serves all signature dishes which are at most copies of the original owners. The double crusted white/spinach/broccoli pizza/shrimp and hot peppers pizza were my fathers creations and the new owner has a good copy of the original. The founder of Anthony's of Old Forge served the basics of this menu 30 years ago and was surely ahead of his time as his receipes and style continue to be enjoyed today and the establishment continues to flourish. Anthonys of Old Forge, is a wonderful little italian resturant. I new the original owner, he was my father, may he rest in peace. He taught many people how to make a good pizza, it is an art. The new owners were taught by his son but it is hard to imitate the original.
His wife was helping with the pizza dough until 2008.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,783,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parika View Post
Anthony Arcaro was the founder of Anthonys of Old Forge. Most of the menu items were the same as the original owners. Most of the Appetizers including peel and eat shrimp, mussels marinara, mussels in wine, clams in wine, baked clams oreganato, Shrimp and broccoli Alfredo, were served there 30 years when it was the Willard Room. The exact same soups capoletti/ french onion, stuffed mushrooms, escargo, ect. all the same, . The original italian style haddock was served 30 years ago also, as well as the pork/veal/calabraise with a bed of homeade round sliced roasted potatoes is still being served. The original owner of Anthonys of Old Forge also served Tripe, stuffed whole calamari, homeade sopressata with cheese, Veal Osso Bucco, to name a few but these items are difficult to replicate. The new owner claims she serves all signature dishes which are at most copies of the original owners. The double crusted white/spinach/broccoli pizza/shrimp and hot peppers pizza were my fathers creations and the new owner has a good copy of the original. The founder of Anthony's of Old Forge served the basics of this menu 30 years ago and was surely ahead of his time as his receipes and style continue to be enjoyed today and the establishment continues to flourish. Anthonys of Old Forge, is a wonderful little italian resturant. I new the original owner, he was my father, may he rest in peace. He taught many people how to make a good pizza, it is an art. The new owners were taught by his son but it is hard to imitate the original.
His wife was helping with the pizza dough until 2008.
OH no!!! the pizza thread again

Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,279,226 times
Love Anthony's. One of my personal favorites in NEPA.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
So OK - I want to go to Old Forge tomorrow to check out this Old Forge pizza. A friend is coming down for a few days - she teaches college and it is still winter break for her she us a real foodie and is interested in trying it.

1. What is the best place?
2. What is the worst?
3. any to avoid completely?

Give me four or five decent ones as well as the best and the worst.
I will report back with my findings! :-)

PS I did actuallty have a cut of Old Forge last summer, but it was in Wilkes-Barre, so technically, I am still an Old Forge Virgen.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,783,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So OK - I want to go to Old Forge tomorrow to check out this Old Forge pizza. A friend is coming down for a few days - she teaches college and it is still winter break for her she us a real foodie and is interested in trying it.

1. What is the best place?
2. What is the worst?
3. any to avoid completely?

Give me four or five decent ones as well as the best and the worst.
I will report back with my findings! :-)

PS I did actuallty have a cut of Old Forge last summer, but it was in Wilkes-Barre, so technically, I am still an Old Forge Virgen.
I was only at one, it was Revellos and that was enough for me. It was horrible, the worst i ever had, ever. That turned me off to any Old Forge pizza ever again. I know alot of people like it, but not me, i'll stick to a plain round pie.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 PM

996 posts, read 1,058,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I was only at one, it was Revellos and that was enough for me. It was horrible, the worst i ever had, ever. That turned me off to any Old Forge pizza ever again. I know alot of people like it, but not me, i'll stick to a plain round pie.
I can make a better pizza with my stone and oven than most of the pizza joints around. I don't eat much of it to really care whose is best.

Sheena, next time you are in Old Forge go to Salerno's, sit in a booth, order a beer and a porketta sammich. No pizza for you - don't mess up that cougarish body of yours..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania