Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,427,732 times

Advertisements

Pizza Capital of the World: Tasting Our Way Through Old Forge, PA | Slice Pizza Blog

I know this is a controversial topic, especially for people who didn't grow up in the area and think only NY pizza is good, but this was an interesting read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM

8,098 posts, read 7,475,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
...people who didn't grow up in the area and think only NY pizza is good...
New Jersey pizza is way, way better than New York pizza.

You can get New Jersey style pizza at Napoli in Shawnee.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,093,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

oh no!--here we go again--ps--love old forge pizza followed by dunmore's finest calabria's

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,427,732 times
Quote:

I'm a big fan of John's on Bleeker in NYC and Lombardi's. There's plenty of good pizza in NJ (star tavern in Orange is great). But I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Old Forge pizza. Despite NYers and NJers popular beliefs, it's very similar to pizza cafe's in southern Italy. I love it. I get why people who grew up on NY style don't like it, and i know we'll get tons of those posts. But for those of us who enjoy it, i thought they'd like this writing.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,150,414 times
the best pizza you could ever have is the one you make yourself...if you go out and buy it then your at the mercy of whomever makes it and hopefully their not in a bad mood either!!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,837,912 times
I love Old Forge pizza....I love the diveristy of pizza you can find in this area, New York style, Old Forge style, and even unique pizza like Andy's, Angie's, Maroni's, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,856,759 times
That same old song....

after everyone 'debates' this and tells the others what is best, try debating whether red or white wine is better...or if wings are better than pasta.

Those who are new to the pizza wars here can catch up by searching for pizza on this and other fora

BTW, there is a good (well interesting anyway...) NEPizza site at NEPA Pizza Review

Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 PM

8,098 posts, read 7,475,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'm a big fan of John's on Bleeker in NYC and Lombardi's. There's plenty of good pizza in NJ (star tavern in Orange is great). But I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Old Forge pizza. Despite NYers and NJers popular beliefs, it's very similar to pizza cafe's in southern Italy. I love it. I get why people who grew up on NY style don't like it, and i know we'll get tons of those posts. But for those of us who enjoy it, i thought they'd like this writing.
LOL glad to hear Star Tavern is still going strong. I grew up on Gregory Ave and there were always tons of great Mom & Pop pizza shops around. We still stop in at Starlite on PVW sometimes when we visit my uncle.

My wife is a Coal Cracker and she has no problem with Old Forge pizza. She does roll her eyes when I wax poetic about NJ pizza, which she can't stand, claiming the crust is too thin and crispy.

We recently went to Minnesota on vacation, and we got a pizza at a local bar/restaurant out there. Abiding by the old saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything", I stayed mum.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
the best pizza you could ever have is the one you make yourself...
If you can make a good crust....

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
claiming the crust is too thin and crispy.
You can get pizza like that here. It's not super thin but Sabatini's and the Grotto both have thin crust. We knew the owner of Arnold's in Plymouth really well, I grew up eating it and he had thinner crust. That's what I like but not many places have it.

Quote:
We recently went to Minnesota on vacation, and we got a pizza at a local bar/restaurant out there.
I was at Planet Hollywood a few years back and my old GF's daughter ordered the kids pizza. Sent it right back, looked terrible and I knew she wasn't going to eat it. Even the waiter agreed. She had a huge Sunday for dinner. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania