Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You mean you don't like OF pizza either?
I personally don't like how the Old Forge servers look at you with two heads when you ask "No onions, please." Yes, folks, there ARE some people out there who would prefer to appreciate the fine taste of tomato sauce without the overpowering, pungent flavor of onions accompanying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:52 PM

40 posts, read 119,350 times
Being from brooklyn NY i'm quite the pizza critic. I've heard all about old forg pizza and tried it out. It tastes just like a pizza i would make at home buying the frozen dough from brunetti's...
I heard good things about alfredos pizza too in south side of scranton and went there. The menu said, " Alfredos famous pizza!". I asked the waitress with my NY accent "what makes the pizza so famous" and she replied " i dunno...cause it's good." so i said why not lets get a tray of this famous pizza and try it out. After about an hour of bad service i get my pizza soon to find out it's famous due to it's freakin american cheese melted all over it. obviously this waitress has never been to NY cause she would of told me right off the bat after hearing my accent asking about the pizza that it's made with american cheese. BLAH...... It was like eating a grilled cheese with ketchup.

My favorite pizza spot to be the closest to ny style pizza is Buonas on lackawanna ave. large pie sausage well done please for pick-up.....15 mutes.. Excellent!!!!
however don't eat there unless you wanna lose ten pounds cause it's super hot in there.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by versaron View Post
Being from brooklyn NY i'm quite the pizza critic. I've heard all about old forg pizza and tried it out. It tastes just like a pizza i would make at home buying the frozen dough from brunetti's...
I heard good things about alfredos pizza too in south side of scranton and went there. The menu said, " Alfredos famous pizza!". I asked the waitress with my NY accent "what makes the pizza so famous" and she replied " i dunno...cause it's good." so i said why not lets get a tray of this famous pizza and try it out. After about an hour of bad service i get my pizza soon to find out it's famous due to it's freakin american cheese melted all over it. obviously this waitress has never been to NY cause she would of told me right off the bat after hearing my accent asking about the pizza that it's made with american cheese. BLAH...... It was like eating a grilled cheese with ketchup.

My favorite pizza spot to be the closest to ny style pizza is Buonas on lackawanna ave. large pie sausage well done please for pick-up.....15 mutes.. Excellent!!!!
however don't eat there unless you wanna lose ten pounds cause it's super hot in there.
I know. Pizza should not have american cheese on it. OF pizza tastes like the pizza you had in high school every Friday. And if you say "pie" up here in NEPA referrring to pizza, people look at you like you have two heads. Buona's does have good neapolitan and sicillian pizza, but like you said it's really hot in there. I guess they don't believe in air conditioning.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,581 times
If it has american cheese on it, it's not pizza, i don't know what it is, but it isn't pizza.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 PM

904 posts, read 2,056,237 times
Well, I wouldn't judge all of Old Forge pizza from one or two places. I've had plenty of authentic New York pizza that tasted like pure crap.

Also, a lot of these places have problems with consistency (great one night, under-cooked the next, using a pre-made crust the next), which deservedly will hurt their reputation.

I do like Mancuso's, Brutico's, and Ghigiarelli's a lot. Most nights, I would kill for a good old NY pie though.

Btw, I've heard the cheese that some of them use called "brick" cheese, not american, though it's probably pretty similar. And the cheese seems to vary from place to place.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:27 PM

904 posts, read 2,056,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I personally don't like how the Old Forge servers look at you with two heads when you ask "No onions, please." Yes, folks, there ARE some people out there who would prefer to appreciate the fine taste of tomato sauce without the overpowering, pungent flavor of onions accompanying it.
probably b/c it's in the sauce already, not added when they cook it.

but, yeah, onions not for everyone..

Old 07-20-2008, 06:39 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,878 times
Thats whats nice about 'Pizza Perfect' in Dallas, PA they have two sauces: onions or no onions !!!!! Personally, I think the best pizza in THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!
And, yes Old Forge pizza is way over rated, Rivellos is like Profaros (sp) in the box !!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
Thats whats nice about 'Pizza Perfect' in Dallas, PA they have two sauces: onions or no onions !!!!! Personally, I think the best pizza in THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!
And, yes Old Forge pizza is way over rated, Rivellos is like Profaros (sp) in the box !!
Pizza Perfect's way of doing things should be universal in local restaurants. I've noticed amongst my relatively young friends that an even number both love and hate onions. Why make those of us who dislike onions feel like total jerks for requesting sauce with no onions? These sorts of restaurants are cutting themselves off of a potentially 50% larger client base if they would simply be more willing to cook something without onions. I love the flavor of onions (sour cream & onion, onion powder, etc.), but I can't stand the texture of them. I just gag.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 AM

164 posts, read 385,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You mean you don't like OF pizza either?
No I don't ... and not only don't I like the way it tastes ... I don't like the price they charge for it ... now maybe if it were good pizza ... I wouldn't mind paying.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 AM

164 posts, read 385,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by versaron View Post

And it's got to be Buona Pizza Downtown (Lackawanna)... the one in Greenridge is not good! I have it in my cell phone exactly as "Pizza Buona Downtown."

Buona is good when you take it home ... can you imagine how good it would be if you ate it there when it was fresh out of the oven ... no travel time involved. I don't think I have ever ate it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania