Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
Pretty sure I read yesterday that the bill extending the date to 12/10 passed both the house and senate. I am 95% certain of it. If true we just need to wait for Obama to sign it.
Yes, I read the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

177 posts, read 304,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Glad you got a good rep to speak to.
A few that posted here earlier have said that their issues were fixed today. Hopefully the ball will keep rolling now.
I think my case is different than the others because there are actually 2 issues. 1. I finished up a new claim on 2/27 which didn't qualify for any extensions AND 2. They need to pull forward from a previous year.

I hope when Jdljr comes back he can verify all of this.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM

14 posts, read 27,090 times
Has anyone noticed that the reports on the legislation indicate that the "phase out" date (the cutoff from moving from regular unemployment to EUC or to move from tier to tier in EUC) is a much later date federally than it is in NC? For instance, the bill that just passed moved the phase out date from Apr 5th to Sept 5th. But the NC website gave this date as Feb 28th in mid Feb, and now gives (as of today) as Apr 3rd. Are they just trying to scare people so people might look for a job that otherwise wouldn't, or can they actually choose their own cutoff dates??

Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM

177 posts, read 304,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renniegirl View Post
Has anyone noticed that the reports on the legislation indicate that the "phase out" date (the cutoff from moving from regular unemployment to EUC or to move from tier to tier in EUC) is a much later date federally than it is in NC? For instance, the bill that just passed moved the phase out date from Apr 5th to Sept 5th. But the NC website gave this date as Feb 28th in mid Feb, and now gives (as of today) as Apr 3rd. Are they just trying to scare people so people might look for a job that otherwise wouldn't, or can they actually choose their own cutoff dates??
I think (opinion) that NC just hasn't updated the website. If they updated a litlle more often people wouldn't be in such a panic.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
I think my case is different than the others because there are actually 2 issues. 1. I finished up a new claim on 2/27 which didn't qualify for any extensions AND 2. They need to pull forward from a previous year.

I hope when Jdljr comes back he can verify all of this.
Sorry,
Yes, that's right we're in the same boat.
Mine will be ended in May.
Maybe Jdljr will have some new info. if he gets' on here tonite

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap1 View Post
so if you ever get called into the office you should also bring your work search records with you. how far back should you bring them just last 3 mo or back to the very beginning?
There may be a different reason they call you in, but generally speaking you don't have to take your worksearch records to the office unless you get a notice in the mail that at the top says "eligibility review" and it has a specific date and time to report. Normally they don't do that. If it's an EB eligibility review, you would need to take your worksearch records for the last month.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
so looking at the second letter I received it says I am not monetarily eligible for EUC because of insufficient base period wages. so is that it for me . I have run out?
That's likely based off your new benefit year, if you didn't qualify for extensions in your new benefit year. But if you had leftover EUC from your previous benefit year, they'll bring it forward into your new benefit year.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Jdlr
yes you are correct my letter does say revision on the right hand side
but it also says the max amt, the weekly benefit amt, and that weekly continued claims for 2nd tier benefits may be filed etc etc if this is only for 1 week or so you would think it would say that so we would know. nyway then i got the letter saying i was ineligible for euc because i did not qualify etc. do everything is ended ? I guess I didn't see this coming and had no idea. what are the extensions and tiers . I started collecting
last Dec 2008 did 26 weeks then went into what ? Tier 1 ? then tier 2 ?
now I cannot continue to other tiers? thank you all for your help.
If you have started a 2nd benefit year and got another round of regular UI but didn't have enough wages in the base period (didn't meet the 1.5 times rule) you wouldn't qualify for NEW extensions in that new benefit year. But if you had leftover extension money in your previous benefit year, they could bring that forward into your new year when you exhausted your regular UI.

Regular UI, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, 14th week (one extra "week" of Tier 2), Tier 4, EB is the order of benefits for anyone just beginning UI. If others have been on it awhile, they may have transitioned in and out of certain extensions depending on when the next tier of extension was ready.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
Thanks for that information. I actually talked to two people one guy at the regular customer service number and one at the extensions benefits numbers. The first guy, John(refused to give his last name), was very rude. He just said, there's no money out there for you. I said that I knew there was a 4th tier I was eligible for. Then, he admitted as much and said just wait for the letter but don't backdate it when I receive it. He didn't explain it when I asked what he meant by backdate it. So, I asked him if he knew how long before the tier 4 would kick in, he said he didn't know, just wait for a letter. So, I asked him if there was anyone that did know or might have more information about it, he said, "Yea, you can talk to the president," and hung up on me.

The guy at the benefits extensions number was a little more helpful. He said tier 4 might kick in as early as next week or as late as the beginning of April. It seems odd to me that tier 4 was approved like last year but still hasn't been implemented yet, it's been like two and a half months. The only thing that's changed is the cutoff date has been extended. That's why I asked him about EB. I've never used it but saw it on the esc website. But, when you click the link to apply for it, it just takes you to apply for regular UI benefits. That didn't seem right to me since I already have a claim open or whatever. I haven't been notified of any disqualifications if I have any. The only other thing I asked was what to do once I get the tier 4 letter since I should be on EB when it arrives. He said he wasn't sure but thinks it will just override the EB benefits until the tier 4 runs out, then EB will kick back in.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful to someone else. It almost seems like they don't want people to know about EB. There's very little information about it on the website, and the information it does have hasn't been updated in at least over a year. The last thing I'll say about EB is they should update their job search requirements, it's almost unrealistic to have two "in-person" job searches because 9 out of 10 businesses will just tell you to go to their website to apply for a job. Does that count as in "in-person" contact? I mean if you go to a place and they tell you that. lol
Wow, the first guy was very rude! I sure don't talk to people like that, but then again I don't work in a call center where the phone rings off the hook ALL DAY LONG. Our phone rings, but not off the hook.

Anyway, the 2nd guy was right, if you're receiving EB when Tier 4 kicks in, you should switch over to Tier 4 and then back to EB when the Tier 4 is exhausted. The trick, though, sounds like trying to get your EB going. You should be eligible for that if you've never received it and haven't had any disqualifications.

Yea, I would count that as an in-person contact, and then follow through and apply on their website. The follow-through is important.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 27,090 times
Actually, the Feb 28th phase out date was the date that was on the NCESC website in mid Feb. According to an article I just read, Apr 5th used to be the cutoff given federally until the legislation enacted a couple of days ago, which changed the cutoff to Sept 5th. So it's like NCESC is updating to previous info--today their website it says that Apr 3rd is the cutoff. Is anyone sure that NC doesn't get to set it's own date? After all, from what I understand, the states have to come up with most of the money, so maybe they have a right to do this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina