Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace24 View Post
Can somebody please help me to determine if i am still able to qualify for my UI benefits? My first weekly UI benefit was February 4, 2010, but my yearly benefit end January 29, 2011. Today (August 9,2010) is my last 26 weeks. I already filed it yesterday which is sunday. Now my question is, do i get 1 year? Or is 26 weeks that's it? Because in my profile "NCSC NC website when i log in" it says my benefit year end January 29, 2011. But today is the last 26 week. what do i need to do? Should i keep continue to file? I would really appreciate if somebody can shed some light.
When you open a benefit year, it's just that, a YEAR. But you are not guaranteed to receive benefits for a year, it's just that your claim is good for a year. People stop and start claims, sometimes several times, within the year. And each time, they go back to the same benefit year that already exists, with the weekly benefit amount that had already been established. Folks qualify for all different durations of benefits. Some folks qualify for the minimum 13 weeks of regular UI, and no extensions. Others qualify for the maximum 26 weeks and all extensions. Still others fall somewhere in between. It's ALL dependent on the wages in your base period.

You MAY qualify for extensions. You would need to contact someone at ESC to find out. If your total base period wages are equal to or greater than 1.5x the high quarter in the base period, OR, if your total base period wages are equal to or greater than 40x your weekly benefit amount, you should qualify for extensions. They should begin automatically when your regular UI is exhausted. Simple example:

High quarter of wages = $10,000. This means that your total base period wages would need to be equal to or greater than $15,000 in order to qualify for extensions. OR, your weekly benefit amount X 40 would need to be equal to or greater than your total base period wages to qualify for extensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcrimson View Post
My online status states, "EB Effective date 7/11/2010". I received a letter, "Notice of Appointment" and this is my first review in person. Do I need to bring all my worksearch records from the last year? The letter says, "Bring with you your work search records for the weeks prior to the appointment". I guess that means the whole year's records? When I called the local office in Asheville the rep told me I only needed records since my last review. I have never had a review, to my knowledge, or at least not in person. She seemed surprised I had never had a review and recommended bringing all work search records for the year since I had never had a review.Does the Eligibility Review Notice that I receive every 2 or 3 months qualify as a "review"? My last one came in March. Is that my last "review"?
I would take whatever you have, and they'll make copies of what they need. Better to have too much than not enough. And make sure that you have SPECIFIC addresses on your worksearch records of places you've contacted. They're cracking down on this now, especially since sometimes the DOL does audits. Hypothetical Example: "KMart, Patton Ave" does not cut it. "KMart, 1001 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801" is what is needed. Complete addresses for ALL contacts.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 AM

81 posts, read 174,218 times
I just checked my payment history and it now shows payment for the 4 weeks I filed for last week. I suppose I can file for last week now, but I will wait until tomorrow once I see the funds have been deposited in my bank account.
I don't think there will be any problems now. The rep said everything should be back on track at this point.
I just pray I can find a job between now and Nov. Good to hear they are considering a Tier 5, but I for one don't not want to have to use it, if it does pass. I want to work!

Good luck all

Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,867 times
I have received 92 weeks of unemployment benefits. On my claim profile it says that my benefits are exhausted and Extended Benefits (EB)weekly amount is 0. My question is why am I not receiving the final 7 weeks to make it to 99 weeks? If my 2nd benefit year does not have enough money for last 7 weeks of EB, why are they not using my first benefit year [pull forward]?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 28,683 times
Default Tier 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdad1 View Post
This morning it says it processed a $494 payment from 8/7 on 8/8. but on the pay history it shows that I have a " regular active claim, with no issues, that should pay $505.
It then still shows that last 13 weeks all paid underneath it and adds this new payment at the top, but doesn't say how many weeks are left ????????

Just spoke to someone at local ESC and they explained that I just began Tier 3, that is why it dropped back to $494, it appears I have 9.5 more weeks left on it.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:03 PM

30 posts, read 49,895 times
DH had an unexpected interview last Friday -- hoping this is the one! Just want to encourage folks to send cover letters & resumes to business in the field you may be looking... this is exactly how he got this interview... He sent it over 3 months ago & now they have 2 positions opening - one is FT & one is PT... Just grateful someone held onto the resume & letter... you never know! Even if he doesn't get - it lifted his spirits to get an interview b/c it's been about 2 months since his last one!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,612,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplematter View Post
I have received 92 weeks of unemployment benefits. On my claim profile it says that my benefits are exhausted and Extended Benefits (EB)weekly amount is 0. My question is why am I not receiving the final 7 weeks to make it to 99 weeks? If my 2nd benefit year does not have enough money for last 7 weeks of EB, why are they not using my first benefit year [pull forward]?
If you haven't found a job in 92 weeks, another 7 probably isn't going to help much. I'd suggest moving to a more permanent form of government assistance like welfare.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplematter View Post
Did you receive 26 weeks of regular UI? Or something less, like 20 to 22 weeks? Folks aren't GUARANTEED 99 weeks, it's all based on wages in your base period. Then the extensions are a percentage of your original claim duration. So only if you've received 26 weeks of regular UI might you qualify for the full extension amounts and receive up to 99 weeks. If you've received fewer weeks of regular UI, since it's a percentage of your original claim duration that determines the number of weeks of extensions, you'd receive fewer weeks of extensions.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,867 times
Yes, I received 26 weeks of regular UI.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,830 times
Question Yet another question!

I received the last payment of EUC08 Tier I on June 8 for the week ending previuosly. Was waiting for Congress to move on the extension filing deadline. In the meantime, My benefit year ended June 19. I filed for a new benefit that opened on June 20. I did not meet the new wage requirement, which triggered a problem.

After a few weeks and several ESC folks, I finally got some resolution, but I still need some clarification. The issue was resolved, and the last and definitley nicest and most helpful rep told me that my benefits would start on June 26 due to a waiting week on my new benefit year. I currently see on the payment history payments processed as she said, but have not yet received payment.

Is this right? I thought when the new law kicked in , that I would pick up where I left off at the first of June. Do I have to have a new waiting week? Does this mean I will lose out on 3 weeks payment? After all I have been trough with the various people at ESC, I am afraid to mess things up, but I don't want to miss out on any payments or have any issues with incorrect payments down the road.

I have been reading this thread for the last year and I have to say it has been very helpful and informative.

Thanks,

JLW1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina