Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles93 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused with the ESC claims.

First, kudos to JDLJR for lending his expertise and concern for the issues posted here!

Secondly, we are trying to figure out where we are on my husband's claims. Intially filed for unemployment late January/early February 2009 -- filled from 2/2009 - 5/2009 ... became employed (YEAH!) and worked from 5/2009 - 11/2009 (6 months) -- couldn't keep position due to budget cuts and was let go... began claiming unemployment again -- our understanding, it fell under his "original" benefit year... late January/early February - that year ended and they opened a "new" year which he is currently filing under - I think his 20 weeks will end on this year the end of June... is he eligible for extensions? this is so confusing and frustating!

Meanwhile, we have a stack of "rejection" letters and emails. His situation is further complicated by the fact he had a massive heart attack and has a 100% blockage in one of his main arteries and can't go back to his former job of driver license examiner or instructor. We are trying to get the Medical Review Board in Raleigh to overturn this decision b/c he doesn't want to DRIVE with a CDL just be able to teach and test --- but that's another issue altogether!!
I would almost venture to guess that he's eligible for new extensions in the new benefit year since he qualified for 20 weeks. But it's a fixed formula that has to be met to be eligible. The total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period to be eligible. Provided that Congress has once again extended the phase out date by the time the current date of June 2 approaches, he should just go right into the extensions if otherwise eligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 millionaire View Post
It seems I got an extension on my second benefit year. Does anyone know if I can pull forward last years claim money for the tiers I did not get, since I stopped drawing tier 2 at the end of my 1st benefit year? I assume this would occur if I do not get tier 2 of my 2nd benefit year?

My 2nd benefit year weekly pay went up by $10. The current Tier 1 extension is the same amount as my 2nd benefit year, so it doesnt seem to be pull forward money. I am not sure how I even qualified for an extension on my second year?

Thanks!

P.S. I called the main number for help understanding my situation and got a rude lady.
If you qualify for Tier 1 in any given benefit year, you automatically qualify for Tiers 2, 3 and 4 provided your remain otherwise eligible. If your benefit year ends you then attempt a new benefit year. If you qualify for new, regular UI in the 2nd benefit year you'll draw that. Then when that is exhausted you either will or won't qualify for extensions. If you do, you'll continue with your existing weekly benefit amount and draw the new extensions. If you don't, they'll "pull forward" any unsed EUC (Not EB) into your new benefit year for you to draw. And when they "pull forward" the remaining EUC, they also pull forward the old weekly benefit amount.

If you don't qualify for new, regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, then they'll just transfer any remaining extension money from your previous benefit year for you to draw (and that weekly benefit amount).

Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
jdljr.

WELCOME BACK! Well, I hope your trip was pleasure and not business...heaven knows you deserve a vacation!

Hey---I am confused by this date. You state 3/27, I thought it was 4/3.....oh, never mind, I remember now...there is one date for regular UE, and the 4/3 was for finishing existing Tiers...I think Ianswered my own question...

Anyway, again, welcome back!
Thanks! Yes, it was pleasure, and yes you answered your own question!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 23,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I'm sorry to say, but keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. That's all you can do. You must speak to the interstate unit since you're not a NC resident.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Actually, either side can appeal again and it's an appeal to the commission. However, there is no more evidence or testimony allowed, and no other hearings. The appeal to the commission simply asks the commission to determine if the UI law was followed in making the decision. To pursue it beyond that someone would need to file a case in court.
Wow!
I don't think I had ever read that before.
Thanks for clarifying.
Sure hope it all works out for her

Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 AM

30 posts, read 49,905 times
JDLJR,

Thanks for your response! I try not to worry about the issue, but it's hard not too when he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with a job... God bless you and the many others at ESC who genuinely care and help the confused navigate the system.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 44,668 times
JDLJR,
First thanks so much for your help, you have explained everything that I could not get when calling. My 2nd reg UI ended last week and I did not qualify for ext. (would have if I had known to turn around and reapply). I called this morning and was told that I was done, I then asked about my benefits from last year. They wanted to know how I knew about that . She then reopened my claim and said if it worked I would be able to do my weekly certification tomorrow. She didn't say anything about the pull forward happening once a week. If they pull forward again tomorrow would I be able to see it in the morning. Just wondering if it doesn't work in the morning if I should call again or wait a couple of days. The not knowing is killing me.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingonline View Post
JDLJR,
First thanks so much for your help, you have explained everything that I could not get when calling. My 2nd reg UI ended last week and I did not qualify for ext. (would have if I had known to turn around and reapply). I called this morning and was told that I was done, I then asked about my benefits from last year. They wanted to know how I knew about that . She then reopened my claim and said if it worked I would be able to do my weekly certification tomorrow. She didn't say anything about the pull forward happening once a week. If they pull forward again tomorrow would I be able to see it in the morning. Just wondering if it doesn't work in the morning if I should call again or wait a couple of days. The not knowing is killing me.
That leads me to believe they're only pulling forward claims of people who call and nag about it. Although I had a rude woman tell me to call back regarding reopening my first year EUC claim...not when to call back...just "call back later." Real helpful.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
That leads me to believe they're only pulling forward claims of people who call and nag about it. Although I had a rude woman tell me to call back regarding reopening my first year EUC claim...not when to call back...just "call back later." Real helpful.
Frrrunkis, that what I'm thinking also. I honestly think they want you to "think" your done at the end of your UI if you don't qualify for extensions and that's that!
I don't think anything would pullforward unless we call over and over and try to get the right person minus the attitude to do it manually.
I'm basing this on all of the posts I've read on numerous forums.... always the same.
My 2nd year UI ends right on May30th. I'll be right ahead of the June 2nd deadline, however I don't think that'll matter with a pullforward... I have this sick feeling I better find a way to get some income somewhow put back for bills for at least 3 weeks of June. I have 5 weeks to pull a rabbit out of a hat!
Just makes me very sick inside

Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingonline View Post
JDLJR,
Not to seem too negative, but in my local office, I've never had one claim rep ever admit to me that a pullforward exists. My job coach also denied there were any pullforwards., that was as late as March 9th '10 .
I know there is.
I refuse to deal with my local office whent the time comes, I'll wait on hold everyday to get a response out of somebody who knows what they're doing up in Raleigh.
Please post an update when you find out if your pullforward goes through, I know there are many of us here that are either in this situatuion now , or it'll be coming up very soon
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina