Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 67,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
EB is 80% of your original duration, the same as Tier 1 EUC. So if you received the maximum 26 weeks of regular UI, your EB amount would be 20 weeks. The amount of EB goes down in relation to the amount of regular UI someone received.
For the people who have exhausted Tier 3 what will they have to do to enroll in Tier 4? When I try to do a weekly certification I get the message that your benefits are exhausted for the benefit year of 20009-2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpoochie View Post
For the people who have exhausted Tier 3 what will they have to do to enroll in Tier 4? When I try to do a weekly certification I get the message that your benefits are exhausted for the benefit year of 20009-2010.
I would presume that the process for receiving the Tier 4 will be the same as Tier 3, in that when the programming is complete letters may go out and then you'll contact the ESC to either re-open your claim (if it was more than 4 weeks since the last time you filed a weekly certification) or you may be able to just continue to do the certifications if it was within the 4 week period of time since you last certified.

I believe the one extra week of Tier 2 will come before the Tier 4. We have received no word on when programming for any of it will be complete.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM

28 posts, read 67,886 times
If you were able to draw Tier 3 even though the ESC had to go back and draw funds from previous extenion would this allow you to draw Tier 4?

Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpoochie View Post
If you were able to draw Tier 3 even though the ESC had to go back and draw funds from previous extenion would this allow you to draw Tier 4?
Yes, that is my understanding. Tier 4 is just more Tier 3, but only for states whose unemployment rate is 8.5% or greater.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 36,055 times
Hi all!

I have read page after page on this thread and it has been so informative. I am still a bit confused as to my specific situation though. These are the dates of my unemployment:

3/1/09 through 9/6/09 on regular UI
since 9/6/09 on EUC Tier I

My benefit year ends on 2/28/2010, and I entered into EUC on 9/6/2009. Today while filing my weekly certification I received the "You have 2 or fewer weeks remaining" message. My understanding is that I should just continue to file certifications and ESC will determine my eligibility for EUC Tier II. Is having less than two weeks remaining on your current tier what "triggers" this evaluation? Will ESC mail me a determination?

I've also heard it said that you have to exhaust your current tier of benefits prior to 12/31/09 in order to be eligible for the next tier, and apparently some people received letters to that effect. Is this true? I thought the 12/31 deadline just meant your claim had to have been filed by that date. The uncertainty of everything is a bit nerve wracking!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareWave View Post
Hi all!

I have read page after page on this thread and it has been so informative. I am still a bit confused as to my specific situation though. These are the dates of my unemployment:

3/1/09 through 9/6/09 on regular UI
since 9/6/09 on EUC Tier I

My benefit year ends on 2/28/2010, and I entered into EUC on 9/6/2009. Today while filing my weekly certification I received the "You have 2 or fewer weeks remaining" message. My understanding is that I should just continue to file certifications and ESC will determine my eligibility for EUC Tier II. Is having less than two weeks remaining on your current tier what "triggers" this evaluation? Will ESC mail me a determination?

I've also heard it said that you have to exhaust your current tier of benefits prior to 12/31/09 in order to be eligible for the next tier, and apparently some people received letters to that effect. Is this true? I thought the 12/31 deadline just meant your claim had to have been filed by that date. The uncertainty of everything is a bit nerve wracking!
Yes, just keep filing your weekly certifications. The transition from one extension to the next should be transparent to you and be seemless.

The date by which to be eligible for the next extension has been extended.

About EUC, a memo I received states the following three criteria:

1. The end of the period during which an individual may initially establish eligibility for the First Tier of EUC08 is extended to the week of unemployment ending on or before February 28, 2010

2. The end of the period during which an EUC08 account may be augmented is extended. Individuals must exhaust First, Second or Third Tier EUC08 on or before February 28, 2010, to qualify for the next higher EUC08 tier.

3. The expiration date of the EUC08 program (the end of the "phase-out" period) is extended. Under the new expiration date, no EUC08 First, Second, Third or Fourth-Tier payments may be made for any week of unemployment beginning after July 31, 2010.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 36,055 times
Quote:
Yes, just keep filing your weekly certifications. The transition from one extension to the next should be transparent to you and be seemless.

The date by which to be eligible for the next extension has been extended.

About EUC, a memo I received states the following three criteria:

1. The end of the period during which an individual may initially establish eligibility for the First Tier of EUC08 is extended to the week of unemployment ending on or before February 28, 2010

2. The end of the period during which an EUC08 account may be augmented is extended. Individuals must exhaust First, Second or Third Tier EUC08 on or before February 28, 2010, to qualify for the next higher EUC08 tier.

3. The expiration date of the EUC08 program (the end of the "phase-out" period) is extended. Under the new expiration date, no EUC08 First, Second, Third or Fourth-Tier payments may be made for any week of unemployment beginning after July 31, 2010.
Thanks very much for your reply!

My benefit year ends on 2/28, and I understand that (if I am still unemployed at that time) I will need to submit a new application regardless of any remaining benefit under EUC08. For the purposes of the new application, what constitutes the base year? 1Q09 - 4Q09? My employment ended on 2/1/2009 and I received a four week severance paid in lump sum, so effectively I had no income from wages after 3/1/2009. If I am unable to establish a new claim due to lack of wages, I will be allowed to draw from the remainder of the extended benefits on my current year?

Thanks again for your help

Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareWave View Post
Thanks very much for your reply!

My benefit year ends on 2/28, and I understand that (if I am still unemployed at that time) I will need to submit a new application regardless of any remaining benefit under EUC08. For the purposes of the new application, what constitutes the base year? 1Q09 - 4Q09? My employment ended on 2/1/2009 and I received a four week severance paid in lump sum, so effectively I had no income from wages after 3/1/2009. If I am unable to establish a new claim due to lack of wages, I will be allowed to draw from the remainder of the extended benefits on my current year?

Thanks again for your help
When your benefit year ends 2/28/10 and you have to establish a new one, the benefit year at that time will be the same as it is now: 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009 and 3Q2009. The base period won't change until the first full week of April. If you have at least $4,550 spanning at least two quarters of the base period, you will begin another regular UI claim. If not, then they should bring forward your unused extension money from your previous benefit year for you to draw out.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM

23 posts, read 101,181 times
Is there a cut off date for starting EB? Must you start it before Feb. 28th like the new tiers of EUC08?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhamm View Post
Is there a cut off date for starting EB? Must you start it before Feb. 28th like the new tiers of EUC08?
That same memo I referenced above regarding EUC also had the following EB information:

EB Program - 100% Federal Funding

1. The Federal Government will pay 100% of the benefit costs of EB and sharable regular conpensation for weeks of unemployment beginning after Feb 17, 2009 and before Feb 28, 2010.

2. The phase out for individuals who have established EB eligibility is extended. If an individual has received EB with respect to one or more weeks of unemployment beginning after Feb 17, 2009, and before Feb 28, 2010, the state may continue to pay EB to the individual (if otherwise eligible) for weeks of unemployment ending before July 31, 2010.

3. The phase out period for this provision is extended. If an individual received EB or sharable regular compensation with respect to one or more weeks of unemployment beginning after Feb 17, 2009, and before Feb 28, 2010, the Federal government will continue to pay 100% of these eligible EB benefit costs for weeks of unemployment ending before July 31, 2010.

So at this point, it sound like you have to have begun EB by Feb 28, 2010 in order to continue receiving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina