Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 AM

28 posts, read 68,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Yes, there is still a Tier 4 out there, which is UP TO 6 additional weeks of EUC for those states whose unemployment is above 8.5%, which North Carolina's is. No one has received Tier 4 yet. I asked my Manager in a staff meeting today if there was any word on Tier 4 programming or the "pull forward" programming and she shook her head and simply said NO. There is also an additional week of Tier 2 for which the programming is not yet complete. At this point because the programming is not complete on either, your husband's benefits are exhausted. When the Tier 4 programming is complete and he gets his Tier 4 and one week Tier 2 benefits, then benefits will be officially exhausted until or unless there are more extensions.
Why does it take so long for all of these programs to be implemeted? My Tier 3 benefits were exhausted on Dec. 30 when I had 7 weeks deposited in my account. Now i am waiting and hoping to find some kind of job and waiting on Tier 4 benefits IF iam eligelble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,005 times
i have a question, my husband filed last week and it sayed

"Our records indicate that your benefit year has expired. If you need further information, contact your local Employment Security Commission office."

Does that mean he is eligable to get an extention when he calls tomorrow?

This was his first claim, so idk if he can file for another claim... i know i keep seeing all these extentions so im not sure.

before he filed his claim last year he was in the marines for 8 years, he hasen't worked since he filed his first claim and is currently going to school and looking for work , but no such luck

Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,442,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpoochie View Post
Why does it take so long for all of these programs to be implemeted? My Tier 3 benefits were exhausted on Dec. 30 when I had 7 weeks deposited in my account. Now i am waiting and hoping to find some kind of job and waiting on Tier 4 benefits IF iam eligelble.
I have no idea why it takes so long to get implemented. It just does, and I would like to think they're constantly working on it. And the fact is, when it does get implemented and if you're eligible for it, you'll also exhaust Tier 4 on the same day it's paid, if they make it retroactive like they did Tier 3 and they key in back weeks. The number of Tier 4 weeks are far less than the number of Tier 3 weeks. There are no more extensions after Tier 4.

You could have chosen to start your Tier 3 payments on the day it was entered, instead of being back paid for all those weeks. Then you would have been receiving payments all along. The fact that they paid weeks back to November 14th probably exhausted benefits for a lot of folks in one fell swoop.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluesubygo View Post
i have a question, my husband filed last week and it sayed

"Our records indicate that your benefit year has expired. If you need further information, contact your local Employment Security Commission office."

Does that mean he is eligable to get an extention when he calls tomorrow?

This was his first claim, so idk if he can file for another claim... i know i keep seeing all these extentions so im not sure.

before he filed his claim last year he was in the marines for 8 years, he hasen't worked since he filed his first claim and is currently going to school and looking for work , but no such luck
No, that means that his claim is done. In order to continue to collect UI each week, he must open a new benefit year, which is a 52-week circle of time that a claim is valid for. Fifty-two weeks have passed since he opened his last claim, so the benefit year has ended.

If he has enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim then that's what will be set up when he opens a new benefit year. If not, then when he files his new benefit year they should bring forward any unused extension money left in his previous benefit year.

He can open a new benefit year either online, by calling the toll free number to file a claim, or by visiting his local office.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,005 times
Quote:
No, that means that his claim is done. In order to continue to collect UI each week, he must open a new benefit year, which is a 52-week circle of time that a claim is valid for. Fifty-two weeks have passed since he opened his last claim, so the benefit year has ended.

If he has enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim then that's what will be set up when he opens a new benefit year. If not, then when he files his new benefit year they should bring forward any unused extension money left in his previous benefit year.

He can open a new benefit year either online, by calling the toll free number to file a claim, or by visiting his local office.

what do you mean by enough wages in the base peroid?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM

37 posts, read 97,582 times
JDLJR At the bottom of my claim profile it states EB effective date 1-3-10. Is that the STATE EB?? Is that part of the new bill passed 3548 in Nov 09?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
JDLJR At the bottom of my claim profile it states EB effective date 1-3-10. Is that the STATE EB?? Is that part of the new bill passed 3548 in Nov 09?
That's the regular EB that has been in effect for awhile, nothing to do with the Nov 09 bill.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluesubygo View Post
what do you mean by enough wages in the base peroid?
Eligibility for all UI claims is based on wages in the base period. Employers who pay their employees with a W2 at the end of the year report wages for their employees on a quarterly basis, and ESC keeps record of those quarterly wages in the base wage file. These are known as "covered wages" because the employer is paying into the UI fund. People who get paid cash, or with a 1099 at the end of the year are not receiving "covered wages" and therefore are not eligible for UI.

A base period is a series of 4 quarters used to establish eligibility for a UI claim. Right now the base period is 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009 and 3Q2009. The base period changes the first full week of each new quarter, dropping off the oldest quarter and picking up the most recently finished quarter.

In order to qualify for UI, someone must have at least $4,550 spanning at least two quarters in the base period. The $4,550 figure is re-visited each year and may change also, depending on the average wage in the state.

It isn't enough to have wages in just one quarter of the base period, someone must have wages in at least two quarters of the base period to be eligible. Even if someone had $1M of wages in one quarter of the base period but no wages in any other quarter of the base period, they would not qualify for UI. There are no exceptions to both the two quarter rule and the $4,550 amount.

If someone doesn't have enough wages in the regular base period to set a claim, an alternate base period may be able to be used if that would mean there'd be enough wages. The alternate base period is where you drop the oldest quarter and pick up the most recently ended quarter. Using the alternate base period is most common on first year benefit years, as those that are starting a 2nd benefit year likely would not have wages in the most recently ended quarter.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM

28 posts, read 68,023 times
Quote:
I have no idea why it takes so long to get implemented. It just does, and I would like to think they're constantly working on it. And the fact is, when it does get implemented and if you're eligible for it, you'll also exhaust Tier 4 on the same day it's paid, if they make it retroactive like they did Tier 3 and they key in back weeks. The number of Tier 4 weeks are far less than the number of Tier 3 weeks. There are no more extensions after Tier 4.

You could have chosen to start your Tier 3 payments on the day it was entered, instead of being back paid for all those weeks. Then you would have been receiving payments all along. The fact that they paid weeks back to November 14th probably exhausted benefits for a lot of folks in one fell swoop.
How would you have known about the option to start your Tier 3 on the day it was implemented. My claim was monetarily eneligeble for weeks until I checked my payment history on Dec. 30 when I noticed that they had put 7 weeks of payments into my accounts.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 PM

37 posts, read 97,582 times
JDLJR When did the EB go into effect. Reason for asking, I thought I had already received EB and exhausted them a few months ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina