Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 AM

81 posts, read 174,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unempinNC View Post
Today when I logged in, I received a message saying that my "benefit year had expired."
Okay, this may not be correct, but here it is anyway.
Last year some of us started a new benefit year, but we were not supposed to have done that. This was corrected last Fall. So, maybe your 1st year is now ended, but you will continue to draw on that year until you either find a job or your benefits become exhausted.
I'm really not sure how it works exactly, since my claim was one of those the state messed up by starting me on a new benefit year.
If you file later today and it goes through as normal, I wouldn't worry. If it doesn't go through, try calling first thing Monday morning.
I really think you are probably fine though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 AM

264 posts, read 364,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanahB View Post
Hey Abcde12
did you get the email from Alexandra F. Sirota ?

She said that there will be a press conference next thursday. She didn't give me a time or location. I'm in charlotte, but I will try to attend. What scares me about this is that it seems that they aren't even going to look at the bill until after that point and that the press conference could very well determine if the bill is supported. Al ot of the unemployed don't have time to attend something like this.

I also don't have any video equipment. I've since sold my laptop for extra money so I can't videotape.
I never got the email. Can you post any updates about the press conference?

The latest update on the bill is that it's now got 8 co-sponsors and on April 7, it was referred to the Committee on Commerce and Job Development. If favorable, it will then go to the Finance Committee.

Here's the Commerce and Job Development Committee members:

North Carolina General Assembly - Commerce and Job Development (House Standing Committee)

Flood the above list of people with your support of H676. The bill needs to be approved by them before it goes anywhere.

After that, it's in the hands of the Finance Committee. Here they are:

North Carolina General Assembly - Finance (House Standing Committee)

Repeat to the Finance Committee, over and over, that EB is 100% federally funded through the end of 2011.

By the way, several days ago I posted that I'd read the bill and didn't understand that it seemed to be requiring meeting both an Insured Unemployment Rate (IUR) level and a Total Unemployment Rate (TUR) level. I read it again just now and in the middle of Paragraph I there is a little tiny "or" which makes all the difference. This is a good bill.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM

86 posts, read 155,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post

The latest update on the bill is that it's now got 8 co-sponsors and on April 7, it was referred to the Committee on Commerce and Job Development. If favorable, it will then go to the Finance Committee.

North Carolina General Assembly - Commerce and Job Development (House Standing Committee)

Flood the above list of people with your support of H676. The bill needs to be approved by them before it goes anywhere.

Repeat to the Finance Committee, over and over, that EB is 100% federally funded through the end of 2011.

By the way, several days ago I posted that I'd read the bill and didn't understand that it seemed to be requiring meeting both an Insured Unemployment Rate (IUR) level and a Total Unemployment Rate (TUR) level. I read it again just now and in the middle of Paragraph I there is a little tiny "or" which makes all the difference. This is a good bill.

Here is the email she sent me.
I'm expecting this to get passed before next weekend but if it doesn't my bill collectors will have to wait. I will contact all of the people you listed tonight through email. I wish I could call but that takes TOO much time. I'm still desparately trying to find jobs.

Here is the email she sent me.

Dear Lanah,

I wanted to update you that a bill has been entered in the House to fix the trigger that will turn off extended benefits as of April 16th. The bill is House Bill 676. If you can contact your legislator and the Speaker of the House to urge their support of the bill that would be great.

In addition, we will be having a press conference to demonstrate the support for the bill on Thursday morning. I can send more details if you would be interested in attending. The more folks we have who will be affected by this change, the more powerful!

Thanks again for your efforts on this and I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Alexandra

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 28,977 times
Where will the press conference be held?? Im interested in attending. Im in Tier 2 but I still feel like everyone receiving unemployment will be affected some way eventually with the April 16 deadline

Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM

108 posts, read 160,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post

Thanks for the above info. I sent emails to all the chairmen and vice chairmen of both committees. Hopefully these representatives will receive quite a few emails and phone calls concerning this bill. I really doubt that many people are even aware of what is going on here though. But maybe the folks in the N.C. House and Senate will do the right thing anyway. Only time will tell.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM

86 posts, read 155,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekenc View Post
Where will the press conference be held?? Im interested in attending. Im in Tier 2 but I still feel like everyone receiving unemployment will be affected some way eventually with the April 16 deadline
She will probably send me the email monday. I'll post it when I get it.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM

22 posts, read 50,273 times
Quote:
I was approved for Tier 2 EUC08 benefits 2 weeks ago and successfully filed my weekly benefits. Today when I logged in, I received a message saying that my "benefit year had expired." But there was no instructions on how that impacts Tier 2 benefits or what I need to do, if anything, to activate my benefits.

Do I need to refile even tho' I received an approval letter?
The same thing happened to me when I started my Tier 1 benefits. I got the approval letter a week or 2 before my year ended and I had only gotten 2 week's of Teir 1. When I called they told me I had to file a new claim, do the waiting week, then I would start receiving my benefits again where it left off at.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM

108 posts, read 160,691 times
Quote:
I was approved for Tier 2 EUC08 benefits 2 weeks ago and successfully filed my weekly benefits. Today when I logged in, I received a message saying that my "benefit year had expired." But there was no instructions on how that impacts Tier 2 benefits or what I need to do, if anything, to activate my benefits.

Do I need to refile even tho' I received an approval letter?
If you are indeed at the end of your first benefit year you need to go into the ESC (or at least call) and file for your 2nd benefit year. At that point you will either be set up in a 2nd year or you will get an extension. I am not really sure how the 2nd benefit year works. I think it is similar to the first year only with fewer weeks in each tier. But like I said I don't really know as when I filed for a 2nd year I was given an extension because I had not worked or earned any money for the entire 1st year. If this is the case with you you will more than likely be given an extension as well. If you worked and earned money during your 1st year you will probably be put into a new 2nd benefit year.

If you get an extension you will keep right on where you are now in tier 2 and will be able to "pull forward" all the tiers that you have left after your 1st year (the rest of tier 2, tier 3, tier 4 and EB, if the bill passes to kick back on EB). If you get an extension you do not have a waiting week, as long as you file for the 2nd year in enough time for it to kick in before your 1st year expires. Sounds like your 1st year has already ended so you will have to wait until the 2nd year paperwork is put into effect, which shouldn't take long. But once you file for your 2nd year I would call back in a few days to make sure it was put through OK.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM

11 posts, read 31,807 times
Even though everything I've read and heard says that the maximum # of weeks that a person can draw unemployment has been 99 weeks (and is now being reduced to 79), I know someone who has drawn continually for around 115 weeks. Also, I've heard that some people have drawn for almost 3 years. How is this possible?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 AM

122 posts, read 161,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
I will be filing for my last week tomorrow, I was to start EB next week. Still no job and and no more benefits. Monday will be my last payment. I can't believe this has happened.
The reality of the EB is apparent today: Claim Status: BENEFITS EXHAUSTED Active Issues: No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina