Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

244 posts, read 311,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
I thought a 2/3 override was only needed to override a governor's veto.

I pay much more attention to federal legislation than state, so I really don't know how that works.

In my heart, I believe this compromise with the devil is wrong, wrong, wrong. We, the unemployed, are not the totality of all that matters. Why do Democrats have such a problem with this, some of you ask? Please get real. You know perfectly well that there's untold damage that can be done if the state budget undergoes a 13% cut or if Democrats are forced to accept a budget on completely Republican terms.

Think about this, Unemployed. These EB benefits last for a maximum of 20 weeks. Then where will we be? What if there are still no jobs out there when EB ends? I'm not sure what services are provided by federal government and what is provided by state, but any of us could easily find ourselves in a helpless position if say, we got sick and had no health insurance, and well, surprise, surprise Medicaid funding has been cut in this state or community health centers have been cut, food stamps have been cut, or whatever!

Please slow down and think about this. It's the pressure of feeling that something has to happen NOW, NOW, NOW that forces people to make unwise decisions. I sincerely believe that we'll be better off in the long run, the unemployed specifically as well as the state in general, if we wake up and realize we don't have to accept the crumbs that the Republicans are offering.

House Bill 676 is a good bill. It can and will pass if we don't panic. We don't want to accept an inferior bill, only to wake up in 20 weeks and realize our state has become a wasteland. That is a price too high to pay for 20 weeks of unemployment benefits, especially when there's another route to getting those benefits.
Yes. The 2/3 override would be for the governors veto. I was ahead of myself. The 2/3 is needed IF Gov. Perdue decides to veto the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM

The Senate is back in NCGA - Senate moves bill to House by special messenger. No objections. Midnight session averted. Senate set to meet Sat 8 am in case the benefits bill gets vetoed. If not, skeleton session.

Will update

Old 04-14-2011, 01:14 PM

187 posts, read 259,390 times
Thank You "laidoffafter50." I am connected to the audio of the House Chamber also and am carefully monitoring the session.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
Thank You "laidoffafter50." I am connected to the audio of the House Chamber also and am carefully monitoring the session.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:28 PM

22 posts, read 50,284 times
I just want to thank everyone who is keeping his thread up to date. I'd be lost right now if it weren't for you fine people on this site. Thanks for everything you're doing to keep us all informed.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM

55 posts, read 100,668 times
I would also like to add my thanks to all that keep us informed and for the links to our congressional members. I have emailed and called everyone I see here. My question is about the end date of EUC08. On the ESC08 page it says that individual must exhaust the tier that they are in by Dec. 31 in order to qualify for the next higher tier. IF (and I pray I am not) I am still unemployed by Dec. 31st I will only be midway thru the second tier. Does that mean I will not be eligible for the 3rd and 4th tiers? If this is so would I be then eligible for EB if it is reinstated? Thanks again for any insight.

Last edited by hmrm97; 04-14-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

House passes H383 benefits/budget - 66-49. Off to Gov. Sent by special messenger to the governor. House also scheduling a Saturday session for H383 to watch for veto, although chair will not be there. They have campaigns to attend. LOL Matter adjourned to reconvene on Saturday, meaning. Benefits/CR bill will actually be ratified during Sat session, so technically Gov. won't get it until the last possible day to pass/veto.

Last edited by laidoffafter50; 04-14-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 PM

187 posts, read 259,390 times
I sure am praying that the governor signs this bill. I'm sure hoping she's on the side of the unfortunate 40,000 unemployed who DEPEND HIGHLY on these benefits to bring food to their table for their families. This is not the time to play backgammon with the lives of people, especially in this horrible economic status...

Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM

264 posts, read 364,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
I second that, Lanah. I further have to say that, come next election, a lot of people will switch parties, not that they particularly support the other party, but to teach the party that they've been loyal to that, "If you don't do what I voted you for and put me through heartache, you lied to me and to the rest of the people, so you have no position to represent us anymore."
Well, that makes a lot of sense (not!) Reward the Republicans for scaring the bejesus out of everybody.

By the way, everybody does know that there won't be a problem with next week's EB payments? They go through the week ENDING April 16. At least for 1 more payment, everybody's good.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM

If I understand correctly, Rep. Stam will ratify H383 Sat AM & THEN send bill to Gov So she can't call them back for do-over

Why the Saturday sessions? : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/blog/53964/entry/115793 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina