Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

264 posts, read 363,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
abcde12, I respect your opinion, but I tend to differ with you. If we set aside the dire unemployment issue for a second, the issue of not having a resolution in our political differences and risking the complete shut down of the government will have more dire results than having it operate on a partial budget. Do I support the government operating on a partial budget? NO! Do I support the GOP sneaky and snaky extortionist movements? NO! Do I support the fact that Democratic support of HB 383 will hurt the "Image" of the party? NO! Not only will it not hurt the Democratic image, it will show that it sets politics aside, and truly is there for the working man and woman, as it claims it is. Both parties need to sit their butts on those seats and need to find an ultimatum for the government budget after the bill is passed. I'll say one thing, to delay the benefits on a single mother, who is struggling to support her children, while in the meantime having to run around during the day, gas up her car and look for work, even a one week delay could be the difference of having a home or being left out on the street. When it comes to that mother telling her landlord that "I'm waiting for the irresponsible jerks in congress to finish their baby jibber jabbing so I can give you my rent money," that's a big deal. When that mother tells her children that we can't eat tonight because we're still waiting for the Democrats and the Republicans to finish playing cat and mouse," that's a big deal. If it so happens that they can't agree on their budget differences and they operate on 87% budget, that is not as big of a deal, because these "Individuals" get compensated so heftily that in essence, can survive quite longer if out of work than laypeople like you and me. While that may sound one-sided, it is very true. There is a great deal at stake here. The Democrats in essence had months on hand to show interest in changing the EB benefit trigger issues, but showed no interest unlike South Carolina, unlike Michigan, unlike Illinois and many more states who took care of the problem without it becoming a political issue. I am here to support the struggling families, the single parents, those 50 and over who are striving to find work but have had no success. I am not here to support the Republicans or the Democrats. I urge all to pay attention and show the struggling lay person compassion and responsibility, and pass the required legislation to give hope to these people.....
Supporters of H676 are in an EXCELLENT negotiating position. Democrats cave too early and too easily. It is not necessary to pay an arm and a leg (somebody else's arm and leg!) for the oh-so-reasonable request of an EB extension.

Your statement that if the state of NC operates on an 87% budget it's not that big a deal stuns me. Who are these "Individuals" (your quote marks) you're talking about? We really don't know who could be affected by these draconian cuts.

You'll get your money, as will I. Just don't let it be at the expense of people who might be in even more dire straits than we are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM

187 posts, read 259,101 times
abcde12, once again, I express my respect toward your opinion. The "Individuals" that I have in quotation marks, are the senators and representatives in legislation, both Democrat and Republican. As far as being stunned by my statement, when I said that "It's better for government to operate at 87 percent than not at all," I will explain this also. I, by the way, am not an advocate of either political party. In sad reality, both parties have failed the working man. Gone are the days where JFK and MLK actually fought and brought change for everyday man. Gone are the days of Rosa Parks, who put a dent in the stagnant way of everyday classification. We are now facing two parties, one with the face of a wolf, and one with the slightly smaller figure of the coyote, both being after the same piece of "meat" but taking a different approach, one is more coy and the other is sly as a fox. I am not here to "buy" my benefits at any cost. As I said before, I am here to support those that are in even more dire shape than myself, the single mothers, those over 50, those who's young children are at risk of going to bed hungry. If the government operates at 87 percent, I guarantee you that a lot less is at risk than if these benefits get delayed. Every week, more and more "destitute" will not be eligible in receiving benefits. More and more will be losing their homes, get their electric turned off, won't be able to afford to buy gas. In all their desperation, don't be alarmed of more shoplifting, hold-ups and crime in general. Is this what we want? ? I don't think so. The legislature can sit their rear ends down those seats, and both parties can seriously work out a resolution to the new budget from now till the end of June, and they CAN work this out, if this is their intention to begin with. The destitute cannot wait to feed their families. They will start to sacrifice EVERYTHING, including their moral standings as citizens, to prevent their children from going hungry.... all because of the cat and mouse games of the "right" and the "left." I oppose this wholeheartedly and ask that each of us support the fact that we NEED these benefits, for the sake of those who are living on a day to day basis and have those benefits as their only life line. Do not use the "OXYGEN" of the struggling as bait for other issues. Do the right thing tomorrow and Friday and pass this legislature, then afterward, work extra hard to come to an agreeable-by-both- parties-agenda for all other issues. Show the working man that you actually "CARE" for him and her. Give them hope and give them strength, and don't let them down in the middle of the storm! ! !

Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 PM

264 posts, read 363,834 times
Greg3973, you act like the atrocious deal offered by the Republicans is the only chance of extending EB benefits.

It's not.

Everything will be okay. Be more optimistic.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM

I hope and pray for everyone, especially for those that are in dire condition and in need for help and assistance. I am optimistic but unfortunately, have had it with "neo-politics" of today. God bless you all and look forward for some good news in the coming days.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM

23 posts, read 35,922 times
They're gonna approve it Thursday.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 PM

86 posts, read 155,104 times
I called today about retro-activity of EB. Obviously I had to call Raleigh because our local ESC agents in Charlotte are still stuck on the " there will not be an extension" role . The agent I spoke with said that the ESC IS anticipating an continuation of EB benefits and are prepared to have people apply for EB and continue to file if a bill is passed by April 16th. As for retro-activity if it's passed later,,, she said quote,,,,," The only people that will get back pay are the ones that were already on EB and continue to file claims". Therefore, if you were already on EB and stop filing your claim because you thought the extension was gone forever ( Which Charlotte agents are telling people) then you won't get money for those weeks. Also,,,, and here's the kicker,,, if you are not on EB before April 16th and a bill isn't passed before that date then you will not receive back pay for any missing weeks between the time you were supposed to be on EB and the time they pass the bill.

That made no sense to me, but she explained it by reminding me that a person has to apply and qualify for EB. It's not automatic like going from one tier to another. She said,, currently if a person applies it normally takes a day or two at most but for some it can take two to three weeks to complete especially if they had any appeals,,, If that is the case then you don't get paid for those two weeks.

So if no bill is passed then NO new applicants can apply, qualify and start to file for EB starting Monday. Existing EBers can continue to file.

What that means for people who are very close to the end of tier 4 is that if this takes a month for example while the two parties point fingers. Then they will not get a penny for that time because technically they are not on EB yet and won't be able to file claims.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 PM

86 posts, read 155,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
I hope and pray for everyone, especially for those that are in dire condition and in need for help and assistance. I am optimistic but unfortunately, have had it with "neo-politics" of today. God bless you all and look forward for some good news in the coming days.
Greg I agree with you,, on the sentiment that you are sick of the political games of today.

on the subject of the bills being combined, yes it's a game but like I said the Democrats should have been prepared for it. If the H676 was further along at LEAST they would have a media bargaining chip.

Be PROACTIVE guys.. If H676 had already gone through the senate with the republicans not passing it they could've said,,,, "Hey we had a bill that had the extension separated and you didn't care about it then. Why do you care about it now? Pass this bill and we can continue to talk about H383. We have until may or so to iron out H383 , H676 needs to be passed now."

BUT THEY DIDN'T. They let the GOP take advantage of this situation and now they have to react to it. And they aren't even reacting correctly,,BILL H676 hasn't come out of one Democrat's mouth in the media including the Governor's . They are now focused on amendments to separate,, etc.

I believe now they are forced to pass this bill because they are going to be ones that suffer if it goes beyond the 16th.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 AM

Excellent point here, Lanah, and thank you for making it. Why, not even once during this squabble of HB 383, was anything mentioned of H 676? Obviously, there's more to this than meets the eye...! ! ! I support 100% the passage to correct the legislation and keep in place EB Benefits... My best wishes to all and hopefully we will have some positive news come later today.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 AM

244 posts, read 311,289 times
RALEIGH – Senate Democrats have scheduled a final vote today on a bill ensuring that roughly 37,000 North Carolinians will receive unemployment insurance benefits without interruption.

Republicans Link Unemployment Benefits to Budget Resolution

Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 AM

122 posts, read 161,228 times
I smell VETO, and for a good reason!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina