Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM

230 posts, read 275,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozeberrypillboy View Post
my tier 4 runs out in mid June

should I start to worry or not ?

yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
mod note

discuss the extended benefits and bill only

the threats that are deleted This will not be tolerated!

and leave the mudslinging aside.

thanks

Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM

16 posts, read 18,060 times
The Republican plan assumes an end to sales and income taxes first imposed in 2009. It also contains a $230 million reserve for tax cuts, likely some combination of corporate and personal income tax relief. In April, three researchers at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Center for Competitive Economies released an analysis of an earlier version of the GOP tax plan, including the full elimination of the one-cent sales tax, expiration of personal and corporate surtaxes, and other business-tax reductions.

The UNC team estimated that in FY 2011-12, these tax provisions would generate about $1.9 billion in higher industry output and boost job creation by about 16,000. When fully implemented, in FY 2012-13, the jobs total would exceed 19,000.

I’m not going to make the same mistake that Perdue did and compare apples to oranges. Because the governor’s budget would let a quarter of the sales-tax hike sunset and cut the state’s corporate tax rate, I can’t say that the GOP budget would create 19,000 more private-sector jobs than Perdue’s budget. It’s probably more like 13,000. Furthermore, some of those jobs may be filled by newcomers or job changers, so we can’t say for sure that 13,000 currently unemployed North Carolinians would obtain jobs because of the Republican tax package.

Still, it is highly likely that the number of jobs the GOP plan creates in the short run is greater than the number of public employees who will actually be laid off. In the long run, the economic benefits of shrinking North Carolina’s government to a manageable size will be significant.

As for the “largest public layoff in American history,” North Carolina isn’t in the running, governor. But if you keep telling whoppers like that one, you’ll make it more likely that the history-making layoff will be your own, in 2012.
Lay Off the Silly Jobs Claims

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 PM

244 posts, read 311,591 times

YouTube - The Grim Pattern of Unemployment in NC

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 AM

29 posts, read 37,612 times
Maybe after Scotty wins American Idol the politicians can focus on the EB bill. I can not believe some of the things I have read today.
I do feel the EB will be reinstated but it needs to happen sooner than later.
If it is of any help, Harnett County where I live broke ground on our new county medical center today. I am sure there will be jobs there in the near future.
Remember you are in control of your destiny, not the politicians.
We should be positive if possible and eventually everything will work out!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 AM

264 posts, read 313,238 times
Good morning all. I've done my reminder emails pleading nicely for the cause. I've also created a journal or I guess you can call it a log of all the contacts I've made with who, when, how(email, phone, f2f), and what response if any I've received. 'Bout Wed next week I think this journal will be sent to DC, our Governer and the press so they can see how we are being treated. I hope others will consider doing that. From what I've read on forums, social network sites, and comments on press stories- there has been quite a lot of negative responses by from our leaders.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 AM

230 posts, read 275,667 times
First of all, you dont know how many jobs the pubs plan will create, you are estimating... It is possible that it would create 0 jobs. In addition, if you are correct, you are laying off 12000 or so people in order to create 13000 or so, not really that great....

These forums however are not about either of those plans... It is about the pubs decision to use us 50k+ already unemployed as pawns in the game to force the governor to acquiesce. And guess what, 50k > 13k any day. To us that is above immoral..

Now stop the propaganda and give us a clean bill......

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemporarydeco View Post
The Republican plan assumes an end to sales and income taxes first imposed in 2009. It also contains a $230 million reserve for tax cuts, likely some combination of corporate and personal income tax relief. In April, three researchers at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Center for Competitive Economies released an analysis of an earlier version of the GOP tax plan, including the full elimination of the one-cent sales tax, expiration of personal and corporate surtaxes, and other business-tax reductions.

The UNC team estimated that in FY 2011-12, these tax provisions would generate about $1.9 billion in higher industry output and boost job creation by about 16,000. When fully implemented, in FY 2012-13, the jobs total would exceed 19,000.

I’m not going to make the same mistake that Perdue did and compare apples to oranges. Because the governor’s budget would let a quarter of the sales-tax hike sunset and cut the state’s corporate tax rate, I can’t say that the GOP budget would create 19,000 more private-sector jobs than Perdue’s budget. It’s probably more like 13,000. Furthermore, some of those jobs may be filled by newcomers or job changers, so we can’t say for sure that 13,000 currently unemployed North Carolinians would obtain jobs because of the Republican tax package.

Still, it is highly likely that the number of jobs the GOP plan creates in the short run is greater than the number of public employees who will actually be laid off. In the long run, the economic benefits of shrinking North Carolina’s government to a manageable size will be significant.

As for the “largest public layoff in American history,” North Carolina isn’t in the running, governor. But if you keep telling whoppers like that one, you’ll make it more likely that the history-making layoff will be your own, in 2012.
Lay Off the Silly Jobs Claims

Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM

264 posts, read 313,238 times
Governor going to be at Roberts Co. in Winterville today and will be making an announcement to the press while there according to her press secretary- no clue given as to what. I'm trying to find out a time. I can be their in 10m max. I'd love to be eye to eye and ask about the EB and how does she feel these people are surviving right now?

Last edited by soleprovider51; 05-13-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM

49 posts, read 63,192 times
Governor Perdue To Visit Winterville

Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM

156 posts, read 190,235 times
@soleprovider, if you could get close enough to ask just that....it would be amazing! I would love to hear how these people think we are coping with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina