Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Was he able to finish his plans, he passed not to long ago, I follow his son Pierce on IG
Yes I believe so.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Please do not compare Charlotte's statistics (which is the entire MSA) to just Raleigh/Cary which is about half of the Triangle's previously one MSA that included Durham and Chapel Hill.

I know that the demographers' decision to split the Triangle into two makes it easy to claim that Charlotte tops Raleigh no matter the what the criteria is...

but any sane adult know that the triangle is one metro region and should be counted as such.

And if the growth rate of each city is what's being ranked not actual number of new residents)

then a smaller city would not have an advantage in the rankings.

Look, to be clear, the main differences in the two metros are limited to 600,000 more people in Charlotte, much more effort to be tall, and big-city in appearance.

Raleigh's growth rate and the Triangles in general has been just as remarkable as with Charlotte.

There isn't s widening of the gap between Charlotte and Raleigh/Triangle occurring so far.

They are moving at the same speed very consistently. which shows that they are more the same than they are different

Your commentary in the Atlanta section about high speed rail between Charlotte and Atlanta reads the same as this. How many times can you repeat this?

Old 11-04-2019, 01:04 AM

10 posts, read 13,119 times
The most current and most likely stadium/arena plans are for the large empty land parcel south of downtown. Which is to be built with a mixed use environment surrounding it (i.e. North Hills). If it ends up happening or not, downtown Raleigh will continue to develop just fine. Ballparks are good and help spur and focus development in the areas surrounding them, especially for the smaller cities that might not otherwise see much action. But not having a ballpark isn't going to hinder downtowns future in any way. Outside of Charlotte, development in Raleigh far outpaces every other NC major city. Ballparks or not.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:28 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
A 2 football field size building is planned at the Pender Commerce Park which is just a few miles north of the I-140 interchange in Wilmington across the New Hanover County line. There are 4 buildings recently built at the park with two more including this one planned...

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...commerce-park/

The developer (from Winston Salem) references "pent up demand". This park is part of the 421 industrial corridor and has good links to the Port in Wilmington. With I-140 complete from Brunswick to Pender County it also acts as a regional industrial employment center for workers to come from 5 different counties (Sampson and Columbus as well).

Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 AM

459 posts, read 373,282 times
Another chef moving to Raleigh. Celebrity chef Kenny Gilbert, Oprah's private chef, will move to Raleigh and open up a new restaurant in North Raleigh.

“I first came to Raleigh in 2010 as a special chef guest at the annual Southern Women’s Show and was fortunate to experience firsthand the exciting level of food talent here even back then..."

He's style of cuisine is probably not what I seek but I'm sure his contribution to Raleigh's emerging food scene will be notable.

Also, Pendo Tower in Downtown Raleigh has started. The 20 story tower is set to radically change the west side of downtown Raleigh forever. GoTriangle will announce plans for the Union Station Tower early next year.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:11 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Aerial photos of ongoing construction in Wilmington (as of August 29th)...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/photo...110409999/PH/1

Old 11-04-2019, 12:50 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Your commentary in the Atlanta section about high speed rail between Charlotte and Atlanta reads the same as this. How many times can you repeat this?
This story's headline in Atlanta made it sound like billions would be spent just to reach Charlotte as if it were the final destination.

Locals were asking, "What's in Charlotte to justify the cost?"

The link to NC's successful intrastate service & the Northeast Corridor should have been emphasized, yet it wasn't mentioned at all.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
This story's headline in Atlanta made it sound like billions would be spent just to reach Charlotte as if it were the final destination.

The link to NC's successful intrastate service & the Northeast Corridor should have been emphasized, yet it wasn't mentioned at all.

but I'm curious what's in Atlanta to justify the costs? I can't think of any reason to go to Atlanta other than some business for Truist Bank, Coke Consolidated and other business needs... people with family. I mean. People aren't going to be lining up on a choo choo to visit an aquarium in Atlanta. The city itself isn't really a destination to visit other than a weekend trip for neighboring states at most. The same as Charlotte.

And your post was specifically comparing and contrasting Raleigh to Charlotte, Charlotte has a big downtown to pretend it's bigger than it is, it's only so and so larger than Raleigh, etc. At least the posts I saw.

Charlotte's a great place to live. So is Raleigh and Atlanta. But the little digs you always have at Charlotte are generally always just as applicable to Raleigh and/or Atlanta. From the Southern digs, to growth, to wanting to appear larger than it is it either also applies to Raleigh or Atlanta.. I really can't think of a city more derided unfairly than Atlanta where people always chide it as nothing but a giant suburb. Literally, Charlotte gets the same thing to a lesser degree.

It just confuses me the things you tend to dislike about Charlotte are literally reasons to dislike Atlanta and Raleigh lol. I'm not offended. I just think to myself "Oh. I've heard people say the same about Atlanta/Raleigh" . Go figure. 3 cities within regional proximity to each other being similar.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:

Huh? Are you saying that nobody in Atlanta knows where the Crescent goes after leaving Atlanta? I don't believe that. When the money was given out Virginia and North Carolina were right there to take the money. When Florida refused it, Virginia and North Carolina said, we'll take it. Then when Georgia and South Carolina hemmed and hawed, Virginia and North Carolina said that if those states don't want it, we'll take it. There's a reason that the Charlotte to DC leg is years ahead.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:04 AM

459 posts, read 373,282 times
TBJ reports the Nexus (17-story Office tower/20-story Apartment tower/20-story Condo/20-story hotel) in Downtown Raleigh will start construction next year and will be built as one phase. Ready by 2022.

This project is similar to the Raleigh Crossing (Pendo Tower) project two blocks west that that all towers will be similar height of 250 height, give or take. Seven 250 feet tower is pretty dull. Anti-development city council's fault no doubt.

At least we still have the Union Station Bus Station Tower, 121 Fayetteville, and Smoky Hollow 3 to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina