Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 11:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,543 times

Advertisements

InterContinental Hotel will install tower crane Nove. 2 2019. This will be the tallest hotel in North Carolina
at 31 floors.

Photo from twtter CLT-Development

Old 10-30-2019, 01:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,400,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I am 50 years old and my entire family lives in Wake County. People do not sit around wishing Raleigh had tall buildings.

They'd laugh at you if you tried to talk about it for longer than one or two sentences.

YouTube does not have videos of young adults on building roofs showcasing "Raleigh, the city, our city".

Charlotte does, and the reading the Charlotte Observer you can see how much skylines and growth are on people'
s minds.

The Triangle has one of the nation's highest per capita rates of people with Phds, hence the phrase used for the area, "Trees, T's (golf) & Phds."

Use your Google to get rates of educational attainment for various cities.

That plus the influence of the 3 main universities is where my "brainy nucleus" came from.

I still believe that most Raleighites young and old don't care or want it to become or look like a big city.

Face it, NC is the powerful state of hundreds of small towns of all sizes. Charlotte can distance itself from the rest of NC if it wants to, but Raleigh is representative of what the state has always been about.

It already is the "big city" for Eastern NC, and Charlotte is the "big city" for both Carolinas.

My posts in general add new pertinent information, unlike those from the critics.

Wilmington is about the best all around coastal city there is, except I feel like there's not enough breathing room like up the road at Atlantic Beach which is not a good year place to live like Wilmington.

Wilmington has Atlanta-worthy traffic on its main thoroughfares too. But I love Wilmington and want it to prosper.

Um, what news papers don't go on and on about local development? Doesn't the TBJ have a crane watch?

And those are nice statistics about Raleigh being a brainy nucleus. Something I wouldn't know if someone didn't show me the statistics.

And for the bolded. Um.... Let people live their lives?

I don't really think anyone thinks of Raleigh/Triangle as a brainy nucleus outside of the Triangle. People aren't familiar enough with the area to know that. Most don't know Charlotte is banking neither, so. I feel ya.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:43 PM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Um, what news papers don't go on and on about local development? Doesn't the TBJ have a crane watch?

And those are nice statistics about Raleigh being a brainy nucleus. Something I wouldn't know if someone didn't show me the statistics.

And for the bolded. Um.... Let people live their lives?

I don't really think anyone thinks of Raleigh/Triangle as a brainy nucleus outside of the Triangle. People aren't familiar enough with the area to know that. Most don't know Charlotte is banking neither, so. I feel ya.
The funny thing is having a tall skyline being a "brainy" metro aren't at all mutually exclusive. Austin's skyline has exploded in height in recent years and Boston's skyline isn't exactly short either, so I don't even know what the point is.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM
C85

20 posts, read 25,818 times
Florida-based Stiles Corp. and West Coast real estate firm Shorenstein Properties said late Wednesday they will build a tower in a joint venture in South End.

The companies say they acquired 2 acres at the intersections of South Boulevard, East/West Boulevard and the East/West Boulevard Lynx Blue Line Station, where they will develop a 23-story, 385,000-square-foot office tower. The building will also include 11,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

The acquisition includes the buildings that currently house Tupelo Honey and The Manchester as well as an adjoining parking lot that's used for those restaurants. The seller was Browder Harris Group.

The two buildings and 2 acres included in the sale traded for $21.5 million, according to a source with knowledge of the deal — a sizable transaction even for booming South End, where new office towers are announced seemingly weekly.

Construction is expected to begin within the next year on the tower. A spokeswoman for Stiles declined to provide a more specific estimated groundbreaking.

Hastings Architecture has been appointed to design the tower but a rendering of the building was not immediately available.

Stiles and Shorenstein say there is potential to accommodate up to 1 million square feet in future phases for "larger users," but it wasn't immediately clear if that would be in one or more towers onsite.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,400,452 times
^ I ignored your post.

But after reading elsewhere, I realized you had the same news just as a big wall of text I assumed was something not newsworthy (not because of you, because of the other CLT poster who will post new articles over 30 jobs in Gastonia.)

But a 23 floor office tower coming to SouthEnd..... awesome! In addition to the 20+ floor Lowe’s office towers.

So there will be 2 20+ floor office towers in SouthEnd, and midríse residential is starting to pop up. I guess SouthEnd Officially is it’s own skyline. Well. It’s pretty contiguous with uptown. Just separated by 277.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The funny thing is having a tall skyline being a "brainy" metro aren't at all mutually exclusive. Austin's skyline has exploded in height in recent years and Boston's skyline isn't exactly short either, so I don't even know what the point is.
I’m not following all that has gone on the past couple pages, but Raleigh is handicapped in regards to building up though being “brainy” is only a part of it. The major job center in the area was built in large part to be in the middle of the 3 universities, and thus in no one’s CBD. Biotech companies seemed to prefer the office park campus at any rate so it all worked out except for skyline enthusiasts. Both Durham and especially Raleigh are changing that as of late, but the region didn’t grow like most region’s and therefore it can’t quite compare to cities who didn’t have it’s largest job market in the suburbs.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’m not following all that has gone on the past couple pages, but Raleigh is handicapped in regards to building up though being “brainy” is only a part of it. The major job center in the area was built in large part to be in the middle of the 3 universities, and thus in no one’s CBD. Biotech companies seemed to prefer the office park campus at any rate so it all worked out except for skyline enthusiasts. Both Durham and especially Raleigh are changing that as of late, but the region didn’t grow like most region’s and therefore it can’t quite compare to cities who didn’t have it’s largest job market in the suburbs.
I completely agree. This notion that Raleigh deliberately and intentionally did not build up its downtown more than it has in an effort to portray "braininess" is just plain silly.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:49 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Something I'm personally really excited is moving forward is the Freedom Park on the corner of Wilmington St and Lane St. The park will honor the contributions African Americans have made to North Carolina. Ground breaking to take place in December.

North Carolina Freedom Park

Old 10-31-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Something I'm personally really excited is moving forward is the Freedom Park on the corner of Wilmington St and Lane St. The park will honor the contributions African Americans have made to North Carolina. Ground breaking to take place in December.

North Carolina Freedom Park
I like that...I'll have to check it out in person once it's finished.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I like that...I'll have to check it out in person once it's finished.
It was proposed years ago but I hadn't seen anything on it so I thought the project was dead. Now almost out of the blue it's about to start. Very happy about that. Phil Freelon is the architect. He was also the design lead for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture on the National Mall in Washington DC. Should be a high quality project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina