Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 02:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Hmmm. Other than the brainy nucleus bit, what did he say that reeks so much of insecurity? Ubless that specifically is what you were talking about, because I and many others don't disagree with the opinion that Raleigh's height is great as-is. We don't need no 60 floor tower here, it wouldn't fit and wouldn't look good.
The development has absolutely nothing to do with Charlotte. Why was it mentioned at all?

Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
He does it to troll for one. Architect77, for whatever reason, is obsessed with the Charlotte vs Raleigh comparison. The thread has overall been very civil lately with all that. But if that pointless discussion is going to get triggered, Architect is now a front runner for doing it.

But besides that, his remarks are kind of insult to both cities. He typically uses Charlotte having a lot of skyscrapers to disparage it as over compensating I guess?? "Trying" to be a big city. But Raleigh isn't and is happy being a big town LOL and shouldn't have tall buildings because we're too cool for that and too brainy and too organic and understated. Alright, so what happens when the demand is there for more skyscrapers in DTR? There's already multiple 400+footers on the table currently. Does that mean we're not as brainy anymore because we have to go tall like every other growing city?? Most of the comments don't even make sense. Rarely are his opinions about what's going on here and how the city is growing (especially when comparing it with Charlotte) actually in line with what's happening.
Ah I see. I'm not too good with usernames on here, there's too many but yeah sounds familiar and you're right, that logic wouldn't make sense. I mean, although I like the shorter buildings I wouldn't be opposed to having a taller one, it would just need to fit well with the current skyline and not just be some out-of-place tower much taller than the rest. Also not sure what intellectualism has to do with building height, as Charlotte is intellectual as well. You don't rise to the status of being one of the largest banking cities in the country without smart folks building it up.

On topic....glad to see an update on Chatham Park, it's been pretty quiet. Are there anymore timeline updates on Chatham? I haven't been out there, is there even any construction right now?

Old 10-29-2019, 06:34 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,076 times
Here’s a cool video about Dix Park. With some new video I’ve never seen. A little more detail about what’s going on at the Park. Also ideas on what’s coming in the future.
https://video.unctv.org/video/dorothea-dix-park-e0eeuj/

Btw I personally think Architect77 has the right to his opinions. They’re no more out of bounds than a lot of opinions I’ve seen from our brothers to the south. The only difference is nobody says a word.

Last edited by Atowwn; 10-29-2019 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Here’s a cool video about Dix Park. With some new video I’ve never seen. A little more detail about what’s going on at the Park. Also ideas on what’s coming in the future.
https://video.unctv.org/video/dorothea-dix-park-e0eeuj/

Btw I personally think Architect77 has the right to his opinions. They’re no more out of bounds than a lot of opinions I’ve seen from our brothers to the south. The only difference is nobody says a word.
Lol, you're one of the first to say something, as you should if someone takes an unnecessary jab against your city.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
I am 50 years old and my entire family lives in Wake County. People do not sit around wishing Raleigh had tall buildings.

They'd laugh at you if you tried to talk about it for longer than one or two sentences.

YouTube does not have videos of young adults on building roofs showcasing "Raleigh, the city, our city".

Charlotte does, and the reading the Charlotte Observer you can see how much skylines and growth are on people'
s minds.

The Triangle has one of the nation's highest per capita rates of people with Phds, hence the phrase used for the area, "Trees, T's (golf) & Phds."

Use your Google to get rates of educational attainment for various cities.

That plus the influence of the 3 main universities is where my "brainy nucleus" came from.

I still believe that most Raleighites young and old don't care or want it to become or look like a big city.

Face it, NC is the powerful state of hundreds of small towns of all sizes. Charlotte can distance itself from the rest of NC if it wants to, but Raleigh is representative of what the state has always been about.

It already is the "big city" for Eastern NC, and Charlotte is the "big city" for both Carolinas.

My posts in general add new pertinent information, unlike those from the critics.

Wilmington is about the best all around coastal city there is, except I feel like there's not enough breathing room like up the road at Atlantic Beach which is not a good year place to live like Wilmington.

Wilmington has Atlanta-worthy traffic on its main thoroughfares too. But I love Wilmington and want it to prosper.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:46 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I am 50 years old and my entire family lives in Wake County. People do not sit around wishing Raleigh had tall buildings.

They'd laugh at you if you tried to talk about it for longer than one or two sentences.

YouTube does not have videos of young adults on building roofs showcasing "Raleigh, the city, our city".

Charlotte does, and the reading the Charlotte Observer you can see how much skylines and growth are on people'
s minds.

The Triangle has one of the nation's highest per capita rates of people with Phds, hence the phrase used for the area, "Trees, T's (golf) & Phds."

That plus the influence of the 3 main universities is where my "brainy nucleus" came from.

I still believe that most Raleighites young and old don't care or want it to become or look like a big city.

Face it, NC is the powerful state of hundreds of small towns of all sizes. Charlotte can distance itself from the rest of NC if it wants to, but Raleigh is representative of what the state has always been about.

It already is the "big city" for Eastern NC, and Charlotte is the "big city" for both Carolinas.

My posts in general add new pertinent information, unlike those from the critics.

Wilmington is about the best all around coastal city there is, except I feel like there's not enough breathing room like up the road at Atlantic Beach which is not a good year place to live like Wilmington.

Wilmington has Atlanta-worthy traffic on its main thoroughfares too.
But I love Wilmington and want it to prosper.

Say what?

Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Welp, so much for that.

Call center nixes Tarboro site - Rocky Mount Telegram

Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Say what?
You could have highlighted most of that tbh. Anyways...

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ding-with.html

D.C. developer "Lock7" plans to build 24 condos with 1,500sqft of retail on Peace street with plans for further projects in the future.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:

s minds.

Wilmington has Atlanta-worthy traffic on its main thoroughfares too. But I love Wilmington and want it to prosper.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 AM

4,590 posts, read 6,419,537 times
Quote:

Bwhahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.