Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 07:46 AM

4,608 posts, read 6,440,663 times

Advertisements

Nashville’s MSA is currently larger than Milwaukee’s and is one of the fastest growing major city MSAs in the nation.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
His post was about how Nashville isn't big enough (and lacks the high growth) needed to be a serious contender for MLB (which would be the 4th pro team in that city).
Nashville's MSA is growing at nearly the same rate as Charlotte's. From 2010-2018, Nashville's MSA has grown at 15.56% while Charlotte's has grown at 15.89%.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:18 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,355,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Nashville’s MSA is currently larger than Milwaukee’s and is one of the fastest growing major city MSAs in the nation.
Without talking too much about cities that are not in NC...

I'm simply going to state that (in my opinion) a MSA of less than 3 million with annual growth of less than 50,000 and a metro GDP of less than $200 billion is a poor candidate for 4 professional teams. Charlotte falls below this threshold.

However, there is the college sports factor. In most major cities, the pros compete with very popular college programs. This simply isn't the case in metro Charlotte. Almost all sports spending in Charlotte are pro sports spending. That's a factor that is often overlooked when measuring a city's bid for another pro team.

One of the biggest reasons why Charlotte outperforms Atlanta in NFL and NBA attendance most years is because there are a TON of local college supporters in Atlanta who would rather spend their money on the college games. Down in Miami, (I have cousins there) the Hurricanes are more popular than the Dolphins right now. That's a scenario that will never happen in Charlotte.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nashville's MSA is growing at nearly the same rate as Charlotte's. From 2010-2018, Nashville's MSA has grown at 15.56% while Charlotte's has grown at 15.89%.
Dude, I visit Nashville several times per year due to family. The downtown vibe blows Charlotte away on it's worst day, but the metro simply isn't adding the amount of people that Austin, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham are adding. Last I checked, MSA Nashville has more land area than CSA Charlotte and nearly 800,000 fewer people. Look it up for yourself.....

Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Nashville is growing perfectly fast, but they aren’t in-line for the NBA or MLB, so I don’t think we have to worry about having all Big 4 sports in a middle-tier metro.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:15 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,865,388 times
The scenario of Charlotte handling 4 pro teams is specific to Charlotte.

For one, the MLS would be one of the teams, not the NHL, and there are a whole lot less home games in MLS than NHL. As well the MLS is in the Spring/Summer mainly, which is NOT the same as having a NBA and NHL team schedules that run on the same timeline. So really MLS fills in the gap of professional sports with an NBA and NFL team. Finally, MLS can pull from a large area (just like the NFL) because games are on the weekend when people can travel in. Lots of youth soccer programs would take advantage of going to games in Charlotte.

So the issue of 4 comes down to whether Charlotte would support MLB, because there are so many games and they are on weeknights. That's been the question all along. I dont think having MLS makes one bit of difference as to whether MLB will work. That's more about Charlotte's buy in to MLB. Baseball rarely expands and rarely leaves a community. I think it will happen eventually, but it could be 15 more years when its considered. By that point what does Charlotte look like? It may be a no brainer considering you take the AAA team out of the market and replace it.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:25 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Dude, I visit Nashville several times per year due to family. The downtown vibe blows Charlotte away on it's worst day, but the metro simply isn't adding the amount of people that Austin, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham are adding. Last I checked, MSA Nashville has more land area than CSA Charlotte and nearly 800,000 fewer people. Look it up for yourself.....
What Heel82 said.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The scenario of Charlotte handling 4 pro teams is specific to Charlotte.

For one, the MLS would be one of the teams, not the NHL, and there are a whole lot less home games in MLS than NHL. As well the MLS is in the Spring/Summer mainly, which is NOT the same as having a NBA and NHL team schedules that run on the same timeline. So really MLS fills in the gap of professional sports with an NBA and NFL team. Finally, MLS can pull from a large area (just like the NFL) because games are on the weekend when people can travel in. Lots of youth soccer programs would take advantage of going to games in Charlotte.

So the issue of 4 comes down to whether Charlotte would support MLB, because there are so many games and they are on weeknights. That's been the question all along. I dont think having MLS makes one bit of difference as to whether MLB will work. That's more about Charlotte's buy in to MLB. Baseball rarely expands and rarely leaves a community. I think it will happen eventually, but it could be 15 more years when its considered. By that point what does Charlotte look like? It may be a no brainer considering you take the AAA team out of the market and replace it.
I think the main issue would be how MLS would compete with MLB for corporate sponsorships.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,543 times
We will know in 2or 3 months what Don Garber's selection will be No.30 team. : “There are three markets that we’re looking at, Charlotte, Las Vegas and Phoenix."

Don Garber: Charlotte Bid at 'Front of the Line' for MLS's 30th Team
By Grant Wahl Nov 8, 2019

SEATTLE — In his state of the league address ahead of Sunday’s MLS Cup final between Toronto FC and the Seattle Sounders, commissioner Don Garber didn’t make a lot of news while discussing a number of topics–including the ongoing labor talks. But he did give a clearer indication than ever that Charlotte is in the driver’s seat to become the league’s 30th team as MLS’s expansion continues at a breakneck pace.

“There are three markets that we’re looking at, that our expansion committee has been engaging: Charlotte, Las Vegas and Phoenix. It’s fair to say that Charlotte has done a lot of work to move their bid really to the front of the line,” Garber said.

MLS is expanding at a rapid rate, with teams already set to join the league in 2020 (Nashville and Miami), 2021 (Austin) and 2022 (Sacramento and St. Louis). In addition to building soccer stadiums in their markets, the ownership groups in Sacramento and St. Louis will pay expansion fees of $200 million. The 30th team is expected to pay a $300 million expansion fee.

If Charlotte gets an MLS team, Garber did say that the team would play in the city’s NFL stadium, not in a new soccer stadium.
Don Garber gives MLS's State of the League address

Jennifer Buchanan/USA Today Sports

Charlotte’s appeal, Garber said, “starts with David Tepper, the owner of the Panthers, who’s a very passionate guy about sports, very passionate about Charlotte, and is reminding us that the league didn’t really see what Atlanta would become. I’d be the first to admit that. There’s a lot of things happening in Charlotte that are very similar to things that are happening in Atlanta in terms of the diversity of the fanbase and a lot of the corporate energy that’s going on down there. We’ve been engaged with them, and we’ll continue to do so.”

Garber did say that Team 30 was not yet a done deal for Charlotte, but he added that an official announcement will likely come in the "next number of months." That timeframe in itself suggests that MLS likely knows which city it wants to go to next.

Soccer fans (and ownership groups) in Las Vegas and Phoenix shouldn’t necessarily look at Garber’s statements on Friday as bad news. Garber himself has said recently that he could see the league expanding beyond 30 teams, and Vegas and Phoenix’s inclusion in Garber’s list of three candidates on Friday means they are almost certainly next in line.

Not being included at all in Garber’s list of cities would be discouraging news, however, for other cities with MLS aspirations like San Diego, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis and Raleigh.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/11/09...ion-cba-strike

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-11-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,543 times
Prospective Charlotte MLS team From Charlotte Business Journal

Over the summer, Glick told me the Panthers had secured commitments from 60 Charlotte area companies to pay $100,000 per year for rights to lease BofA Stadium suites for MLS games. In addition, Ally Financial signed on as lead sponsor of a prospective Charlotte MLS team.

BJ previously reported on closed-session City Council deliberations to contribute $100 million worth of tourism tax revenue to help Tepper pay for soccer-compatible improvements at the Panthers’ NFL stadium as well as an MLS club training complex. The soccer training headquarters is likely to be built on 20 acres of land at the former Eastland Mall site, an 80-acre property owned by city government.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina