Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times

Advertisements

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle..._news_headline
Quote:
Hyperloop: Futuristic transit system could come to the Triangle in 'years, not decades
Quote:
Imagine shooting through a tube at 671-miles per hour – traveling from Raleigh to Washington D.C. via a half-hour commute.
But if light rail was shot down, I don't know how this will get the nod, but I hope it does, but I do wonder how much this will cost if it does happen.
Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-hyperloop.png  

Old 10-11-2019, 03:37 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
A list of project uptown from Charlotte Center City Partners

https://www.charlottecentercity.org/...19-reduced.pdf

Old 10-11-2019, 04:19 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle..._news_headline

But if light rail was shot down, I don't know how this will get the nod, but I hope it does, but I do wonder how much this will cost if it does happen.
Pipe dream. I am still embarrassed for the Triangle over it’s light rail fiasco.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:40 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Pipe dream. I am still embarrassed for the Triangle over it’s light rail fiasco.
If anything, you should be embarrassed that the people doing the planning thought 17 stops meandering through different neighborhoods would be used when it would take 1.5 hours from end to end versus 15 minutes by car.

I mean MARTA in Atlanta goes 75 mph and only has a few stops on each line except to the airport, and that leg takes a considerable amount of time.

You start with a line between two popular, walkable places. If that's a success, then build to the next location in demand, and so forth.

I think the rail cars should be made from plastic like automobiles mostly are now, and with a powerful air conditioning/ heating system.

I'll bet that most of the infrastructure could be made from cheap, lightweight materials too, leaving right of way acquisition the biggest expense.

Home construction, cars, airplanes have migrated to being over half plastic, and then these rail cars are still all metal, steel and each car of the set costs $2 million.

Light rail needs to go faster if it's going to compete with car travel.

The Triangle has such good road connectivity that it's supposed the easiest driving city in the country, so that will have to substantially deteriorate before you're gonna get people out of their cars.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If anything, you should be embarrassed that the people doing the planning thought 17 stops meandering through different neighborhoods would be used when it would take 1.5 hours from end to end versus 15 minutes by car.

I mean MARTA in Atlanta goes 75 mph and only has a few stops on each line except to the airport, and that leg takes a considerable amount of time.

You start with a line between two popular, walkable places. If that's a success, then build to the next location in demand, and so forth.

I think the rail cars should be made from plastic like automobiles mostly are now, and with a powerful air conditioning/ heating system.

I'll bet that most of the infrastructure could be made from cheap, lightweight materials too, leaving right of way acquisition the biggest expense.

Home construction, cars, airplanes have migrated to being over half plastic, and then these rail cars are still all metal, steel and each car of the set costs $2 million.

Light rail needs to go faster if it's going to compete with car travel.

The Triangle has such good road connectivity that it's supposed the easiest driving city in the country, so that will have to substantially deteriorate before you're gonna get people out of their cars.
Maybe you don't know, but it doesn't hurt to have a lot of stops. The train doesn't have to stop at every one on each run.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:

I daily ride DC’s Metrorail system, a truly successful subway/heavy rail system that actually has high ridership and has multiple lines and 91 stations and growing.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Glass going in the front facade of the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greensboro

Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I daily ride DC’s Metrorail system, a truly successful subway/heavy rail system that actually has high ridership and has multiple lines and 91 stations and growing.
And a failure of a streetcar.

I used to be pro-streetcar but after experiences with ATL’s, DC’s and even Charlotte’s. They are just so slow, so infrequent and so slow. Although they look cool I guess.

IMO, streetcar would be successful if it had its own dedicated lane. But cities are trying to build mass transit systems on a shoe string budget, so instead municipalities get slow as crap, useless and expensive (for how low use they are) form of transit.

At least in DC’s case, it led to a huge revival of a corridor (which is weird that people want to live on the line but not use it lol).

Charlotte, I don’t think the gold like has led to a single development that wouldn’t had already occurred. Wonder about Atlanta’s

Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The Triangle has such good road connectivity that it's supposed the easiest driving city in the country...
According to who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I used to be pro-streetcar but after experiences with ATL’s, DC’s and even Charlotte’s. They are just so slow, so infrequent and so slow. Although they look cool I guess.

IMO, streetcar would be successful if it had its own dedicated lane. But cities are trying to build mass transit systems on a shoe string budget, so instead municipalities get slow as crap, useless and expensive (for how low use they are) form of transit.

At least in DC’s case, it led to a huge revival of a corridor (which is weird that people want to live on the line but not use it lol).

Charlotte, I don’t think the gold like has led to a single development that wouldn’t had already occurred. Wonder about Atlanta’s
Streetcar lines aren't for cross-town or long distance trips; they are intended for shorter trips that might be a bit too far to walk but you don't necessarily want to drive. They should have dedicated lanes to operate more efficiently in most places though.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

The DC streetcar’s failure is attributed to it being a mere 2.2 miles along in a highly congested corridor that makes it often faster to walk, scoot, moped than use it. People in DC would use a longer, faster line and many are proposing extending it much farther, perhaps to Georgetown and over to Anacostia. We want a streetcar that actually goes the distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.