Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 08:49 AM

820 posts, read 974,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I'm amazed at all the high and mighty people on here that couldn't possibly be a wee bit inconvenienced when helping a friend celebrate a birthday. Yikes. But then I don't run with the drink til you puke crowd so I guess it always depends on the circumstances.

But even more amazing is a 28 year old being grounded. That's probably my WTF for the month right there.
Yeah, seriously. I don't hang out with people who drink until they puke either, and I certainly don't do that myself, but this "friend" clearly assumes I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I can afford it. It has nothing to do with that. It's the principle. When I ask someone for a simple favor and they decline so rudely, especially when they're supposed to be a friend, it's natural to expect them to make up for it in some way. If you had bothered to read my replies, you would've seen that I was planning on either driving myself and only having 1 drink or none or taking Uber both ways.
I don't think you understand how "favors" work.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
So. Many. Things. Wrong.

1. No, OP, your friend does not owe you a drive, an explanation, or funds for Uber.

2. Yes, it seems like he was a bit rude, but he was probably taken aback that you would argue with him or try to convince him to drive you. YOU were rude to push the issue. So that's a wash.

3. You were also rude to share this conversation with a mutual friend. Tsk tsk.

4. This guy was grounded at age 28 - my head just exploded. Seems like there's SOMETHING wrong with him somehow. At the very least, he's socially inept, I'd say. And you probably already know that. So quit pushing on him or expecting him to be socially appropriate. And quit using him for rides. By your own admission, he drives you lots of places all the time. Stop it.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 AM

820 posts, read 974,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't think you understand how "favors" work.
I don't think you understand how friendship works either. It means occasionally helping each other out and being willing to go the extra mile. Clearly you're not a person I would want to have as a friend, because I can and have bent over backwards to help people I am close to. If this circumstance was the other way, I'd have given him a ride in a heartbeat.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand how friendship works either. It means occasionally helping each other out and being willing to go the extra mile. Clearly you're not a person I would want to have as a friend, because I can and have bent over backwards to help people I am close to. If this circumstance was the other way, I'd have given him a ride in a heartbeat.
Quit accepting rides from this guy. He drives you around a LOT. Maybe he figures he doesn't owe you any more favors. And he probably doesn't.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,133,549 times
So much wrong here. No, he does not owe you anything. Frankly you seem surrounded by drama. ...8 pages of it so far. The answer was "No". That's it. Simply "No." You are not a victim and you are not entitled to anything. You have some growing up to do.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,259,231 times
Quote:
The implication that I use this guy and demand he pick me up like I'm some kind of prince is so insulting.
But that's why you're currently peeved with him -- you EXPECTED him to agree to be your driver and he said no, and rather than accepting that answer and letting it go like a reasonable person, you chose to get your other friends involved to gang up on him (to set him straight) AND expected him to pay for your Uber ride.

THAT'S entitlement on your part and the actions of a spoiled person who isn't getting their way.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,212,971 times
Quote:
you come here for opinions and then when you don’t like it you get nasty. Obviously you feel your friend owes you a favour and when you didn’t get what you wanted you got nasty I’m with hokiefan on this. Happy Birthday and goodbye

Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
In my world "friend" means you don't go online and trash that person to other people.

I'm so glad I don't know you in real life. If you talked to me the way you talk about your "friend", I'd have punched you in the nose by now.

Grow up.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:14 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,545,890 times
Quote:
Friendship means being willing to go the extra mile. It doesn't mean expecting your friends to go the extra mile for you on your terms.

Friends are allowed to say no to requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships