Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 23,655 times

Advertisements

This is my very first post on this forum. So, please bear with me.

I signed a lease on in June this year to rent a room in a house of my landlord. My lease was from Aug to Dec. I told her before signing the lease that I cook at home, bake sometimes and my husband would come to stay with me for a week in August. The rent included all utilities. The land lady agreed and I agreed to all the terms and signed the lease.

Aug 14th - My husband arrived to stay for a week

Aug 16th - Aug 18th: We were out of town

Aug 21st - My husband left back home

While my husband was here, he took bath - so used water. We were eating most of our meals outside as I was preparing for an upcoming interview. He was working from home, so had his laptop plugged in during normal business hours. She claimed that she used to keep A/C at 84F when we would leave. But, I forgot my lunch a couple of times in the past and used to come back home to pick it up and I checked that the temperature used to be 79F. So, essentially, she wanted to retaliate back about me standing up to her.

On Aug 21st, while I was on my way to drop my husband, I got a text from my land lady saying that I should pay her more money towards utilities since my husband was here.

I came back home and I tried to politely reason the sudden increase. I told her its not about money, but matter of principles. She knew that my husband would be here for more than month and half and she did not say a word about any of this then. Realizing that I would refuse to cough up extra money, she started shouting and yelling. She started using abusive words like bull s***, started pointing fingers and chastising me. At this point, I told her that I have always paid full rent before time. I need not take this kind of a treatment and would like to walk out. I told her I will give her a month's notice and would move out on Sept 30th.

Aug 22nd - I gave her a written move out notice

What I did not notice was the lease term consisted of two options: Month-month (for which there is a lease termination clause) and short term (for which there is no clause at all) and I had signed a short term lease.

Since that day, we were not talking at all.

Aug 29th - I wanted to use oven to cook dinner. She turned it off, started yelling, shouting, abusing, pointing fingers and asking me to get out right away. She even took out my food and banged it on the gas stove. She refused to let me cook my dinner in the oven even though I tried to politely reason with her on all accounts. Finally, I broke down and had my dinner out.

After coming back, I tried talking to her. She insisted that she will keep my deposit ($350) because "I broke the lease".

Sept 10th - She moved shelf in the refrigerator to reduce the space that I had before

Sept 13th - A new person comes in to see my room. I had cleaned my room and he agrees to move in since Oct 1st.

Sept 30th - I have literally washed her shelf and drawer in the refrigerator and ensured its spot clean. I have removed small stains on carpet. I have vaccumed my room. She even made me wash the trash bags that she had lined the cabinets with.

I understand that in case the tenant breaks lease, the LL keeps the deposit to mitigate losses.

Here are the "costs" associated for my LL:
a)My LL advertised on craigslist and got a tenant. So, advertising costs = 0
b) I cleaned my sections of the house spot clean and made it move in ready. Ensured that she does not have to hire professional service / spend an extra minute cleaning the place
c) The rent has already been paid up for whole of Sept and the new tenant starts right on Oct 1st.
d) There are absolutely no pending charges. Always paid full rent before time and have all the receipts too.

Moreover, I would not have given her a written notice in case she would not have been abusive. Also, she knew very well that I would be going out of country for month and half in the future and had promised to pay rent in advance for two months. And yet, she decided to go ahead and ask for an increase.

Can someone please advise me if I should move ahead with suing her? She has clearly stated that she is going to be keeping my deposit (I have recorded her statement in a video. I have also taken photos and videos of condition of various parts of the house that I was responsible for.)

Recently, she had a fought with another housemate too. And, I have voice recorded that just to prove how she yells and shouts. I wish I had done that while she was being abusive towards me.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and time,

Anonymous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
The rent included all utilities, she cannot just start charging you more without proper notice at the end of the lease. Document in writing that she has told you to get out, without giving you the usual 30 day notice required by most state laws, but that you are proceeding to vacate the property as directed. Also document that she refused to allow you to prepare your food in the kitchen, which was part of your rental agreement and what you were paying for.

Go to the first sticky thread in the Renting forum and read up on what your state laws say regarding the landlords obligations regarding the return of the security deposit. Many states require a written notice of deductions be provided in 30 days after ending the lease. If the landlord does not comply with that deadline he is not entitled to keep anything.

You may have to sue her in small claims court to recover the deposit.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The rent included all utilities, she cannot just start charging you more without proper notice at the end of the lease. Document in writing that she has told you to get out, without giving you the usual 30 day notice required by most state laws, but that you are proceeding to vacate the property as directed. Also document that she refused to allow you to prepare your food in the kitchen, which was part of your rental agreement and what you were paying for.

Go to the first sticky thread in the Renting forum and read up on what your state laws say regarding the landlords obligations regarding the return of the security deposit. Many states require a written notice of deductions be provided in 30 days after ending the lease. If the landlord does not comply with that deadline he is not entitled to keep anything.

You may have to sue her in small claims court to recover the deposit.
Agree 100%. If you still have the receipt for going out to eat when she wouldn't let you use the oven, sue her for that, too.

Be sure you give her your forwarding address. Don't say anything about when she needs to send you your deposit. Wait until the time is up for her to send you the deposit and/or itemization of deductions. She probably won't do it, and then you sue her for the full deposit, as CptnRn said. You will win full deposit back automatically, if she doesn't follow that time frame allowed by law.

Here's another link regarding security deposit laws:

Security Deposit Law Guide 50 States | Landlord.com

Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Send her a certified return receipt requested letter of your new address. If it comes back to you, keep it unopened for court. Also send her an email of your new address but as others said, just tell her this is your new address.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Unless your lease allows you to bring in an extra person (your husband), you have no case and are in violation of your lease. You actually cost the landlord more money in utilities. I suggest you move out and let it go.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Unless your lease allows you to bring in an extra person (your husband), you have no case and are in violation of your lease. You actually cost the landlord more money in utilities. I suggest you move out and let it go.
It was verbally agreed upon before signing the lease. In the future, I suggest it be out into writing.

OP, In fact does the lease prevent guests specifically?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM

The lease mentioned to discuss about overnight guests with the landlord and landlord will be in the position to allow / deny overnight guests. My husband's tickets were booked and hence, I knew his exact move in / move out dates. I talked to her about it even before signing the lease and she totally agreed to it.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Thanks a lot all of you! This was my first post and all you guys have helped.

To be honest, I am a legal immigrant to US and this is the first time, I am in such a situation. So, all your inputs are very welcome.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony85 View Post
Thanks a lot all of you! This was my first post and all you guys have helped.

To be honest, I am a legal immigrant to US and this is the first time, I am in such a situation. So, all your inputs are very welcome.
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. All Americans are not like her, I promise

Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
If the lease gave you permission to use the appliances/utilities etc, it makes no difference how much you use the appliances.
Its idiotic to limit the use of a common appliance that you had full permission to use. Your husband coming and staying with you is also not a big deal and you shouldn't have to pay extra for that. It's perfectly allowable to have someone stay with you. Leases usually spell out how long guests can stay without being considered tenants.
Good luck dealing with Psycho. If you gave notice and paid your rent left the place as clean as you got it she should give you your money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting