Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 23,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's sounding like you want this to escalate to a fight. Maybe not a physical one, but certainly one where your "punch" is delivered by the Dean. You want to WIN this fight.

Stop engaging. Stop caring what this girl thinks. Ignore her. Stop letting her get under your skin. Walk away from the fight.
Yes, I do want to win this fight, the right way. It's embarrassing and very humiliating when she says this to me in front of our classmates. I don't want to continue to be a punching bag for her own low self esteem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,611,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misssusie123 View Post
Yes, I do want to win this fight, the right way. It's embarrassing and very humiliating when she says this to me in front of our classmates. I don't want to continue to be a punching bag for her own low self esteem
You had your mind made up before posting and you're not interested in hearing what anyone here is saying.

So I'm going to stop wasting my time and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,084,394 times
Quote:
Sorry but implying that I look old and that I need to hurry up and get married before its too late is not what I call 'harmless teasing'. It's really disrespectful and unprofessional and I don't think that I am being immature for wanting to report it. It's not acceptable at all

Well, you've gotten good advice, but you don't see it that way. Why ask?

You go do your thing. Go report this silly harmless teasing to your dean. See how far it gets you. You're the one in charge of your destiny, not us. Go forth and see where it gets you.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,791,416 times
Quote:
It makes HER look bad not you. Why are you embarrassed and humiliated by her inappropriate comments? Maybe she's doing it to get a reaction out of you. If you don't react it may stop. Ignore it.

It's not bullying as almost everyone else has said she's being a jerk. It happens. It may happen to you again in your life and you need to figure out how to handle it. If you run to the dean or HR or an authority figure every time something like this comes up it will not reflect well on you.

Of course there are situations where a report to authority is warranted but IMO this doesn't rise to that level.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,302,511 times
She's miserable and trying to project that on you. You just have to put her back in place and let her know that your private life is private.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 AM

560 posts, read 542,888 times
oh hon, you won't survive in this world if you keep up with your mentality. The dean isn't the appropriate person to "report it" it isn't kindergarten anymore, you're 25, in a nursing program at college. welcome to the real world.

just make a smart come back, sit away from her, deflect. You mean to tell me, at age 25 its your first time dealing with this kind of conflict? what did you do in the past? buckle up.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 AM

1,201 posts, read 810,066 times
Quote:
I'm a 25 year old nursing student. In my group, I am one of two women who don't have children (the other one is married) while the other students are single, with out of wedlock children. One of my classmates who I thought was a decent person, will out of nowhere say to me "you need to hurry up and get married before its too late". She has no idea how old I am nor does she know my relationship status. Then once someone mentioned me being young only for her to say "who is young?" with a sly grin on her face. She keeps implying that I'm old and need to get married before its too late.

I feel that my personal decision to remain childless and single is none of her business. I find it strange that she keeps pressuring me to get married instead of pressuring the single mothers to get married because they have children. Her behavior has made me really insecure about myself and my appearance. I am not old nor do I think I look old. Should I report her to the dean because I am sick and tired of this
Oh for crying out loud little precious! While the remarks are inappropriate, it sounds like they are just teasing you. Pull the stick out of your behind and lighten up. At 25, can't you think of a witty comeback? Or just tell her to stop! You are NOT being "bullied" and you're claiming this as bullying is an insult to all those that are bullied. This is nothing to go tattling to the dean about. Does your school have a "safe space" - that might be where you need to go!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM

21 posts, read 23,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
oh hon, you won't survive in this world if you keep up with your mentality. The dean isn't the appropriate person to "report it" it isn't kindergarten anymore, you're 25, in a nursing program at college. welcome to the real world.

just make a smart come back, sit away from her, deflect. You mean to tell me, at age 25 its your first time dealing with this kind of conflict? what did you do in the past? buckle up.
In the past, I never had anyone who cared that I was unmarried. I typically don't mention my relationship status unless someone specifically asks---having a boyfriend and not having kids yet is not a big deal, there are lots of people out there like me. But she seems so bothered by it that she obviously wants to fight me.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,309,139 times
Quote:
Sorry but implying that I look old and that I need to hurry up and get married before its too late is not what I call 'harmless teasing'. It's really disrespectful and unprofessional and I don't think that I am being immature for wanting to report it. It's not acceptable at all
You may be right about that, but that doesn't make it bullying either. Turn around and say to her that she's being disrespectful and unprofessional. Chances are she will back down. If you want to use childhood terms, you are saying you'd rather tattle on her than be mature and professional yourself. If you want to be treated like an adult, act like one

Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,069,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post

Quote:
In the past, I never had anyone who cared that I was unmarried. I typically don't mention my relationship status unless someone specifically asks---having a boyfriend and not having kids yet is not a big deal, there are lots of people out there like me. But she seems so bothered by it that she obviously wants to fight me.
She meant, conflicts and dumb comments overall, not specifically your relationship status.

EVERYONE here says the same, you need to learn how to stand up to others, yet, after many pages of the SAME ANSWER over and over again, you STILL insist this is bullying and needs to be reported?

You are waiting for the ONE poster that will say "yes, report her" so you have validation for your reaction? Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships