Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Or the guy who squeezes you so tight that your boobs almost pop out your back, and that you have to practically... pry off with a crowbar.
I know, it's gross, and in this day and age way too risky to do with someone you're not close to already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:08 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
As for the dominance factor, it's not a problem if done in a lighthearted, playful manner.
This kind of reasoning is used to justify all sorts of inappropriate behavior and touching. "Hey, I was just playing, you're over-reacting!"

Count me on the "don't do it" bandwagon. I'm not a hugger to begin with but this makes it 100x worse.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
My wife is petite so once awhile I give her a liftoff hug. But I always do it gently & slowly so she knows it’s coming. It’s a sign of my affection so she doesn’t protest too much

On rare occasions I do this with close friends whom we have not seen each other for ages & we are both excited to see each other.

But yeah I agree it’s not appropriate to do this with casual friends or coworkers.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This kind of reasoning is used to justify all sorts of inappropriate behavior and touching. "Hey, I was just playing, you're over-reacting!"
I meant "lighthearted" and "playful" from the receiver's point of view. But you still make a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
My wife is petite so once awhile I give her a liftoff hug. But I always do it gently & slowly so she knows it’s coming. It’s a sign of my affection so she doesn’t protest too much

On rare occasions I do this with close friends whom we have not seen each other for ages & we are both excited to see each other.

But yeah I agree it’s not appropriate to do this with casual friends or coworkers.
This is exactly what I meant in my first post, and it's been my MO for all lift-off hugs. It's a gesture of my affection (with past girlfriends) or comfort (with friends).

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-19-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Most of the women here say they don't like it. Makes me glad I never tried this lift hug.

Why did you start doing this, OP? What do you get out of it? A feeling of dominance? Something else?

You've heard from the ladies. They don't like it so stop.

I've seen these free hugs guys in the park. They look like they would need to soak in a 55 gallon drum of Lysol before anyone would want to touch them.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Most of the women here say they don't like it. Makes me glad I never tried this lift hug.

Why did you start doing this, OP? What do you get out of it? A feeling of dominance? Something else?

You've heard from the ladies. They don't like it so stop.

I've seen these free hugs guys in the park. They look like they would need to soak in a 55 gallon drum of Lysol before anyone would want to touch them.
I don't mind if it's my b/f , it's easier in his back as he's 6'5" and I am 5'2". He also playfully lifts me up to get things off a high shelf.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:47 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Between romantic partners and very close, physical friends... meaning those who both enjoy touching, grabs, tickles, piggyback rides whatever. And only after making sure it's acceptable to both.

Otherwise, no.

Slightly tangential, but I cringe every time I see one of those flying leap hugs that end with the woman's legs wrapped around the guy's hips and he's holding her like she's a rabid lemur or trying to have stand-up sex. Ick.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post

Murk explained it better than I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Between romantic partners and very close, physical friends... meaning those who both enjoy touching, grabs, tickles, piggyback rides whatever. And only after making sure it's acceptable to both.

Otherwise, no.

Slightly tangential, but I cringe every time I see one of those flying leap hugs that end with the woman's legs wrapped around the guy's hips and he's holding her like she's a rabid lemur or trying to have stand-up sex. Ick.
Quoting for truth. I don't do tickles or piggyback rides with my friends or past girlfriends, just lift-off hugs. And I don't agree with those "legs wrapped around the man" hugs, either. That's borderline dry-humping, best left to a trashy nightclub or a college spring break trip.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-19-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 02:30 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Here's something that has's been asked on City-Data yet: What do people think of being on the receiving end of lift-off hugs? The kind where one person embraces the other, and briefly lifts them off the ground/floor. Political correctness aside, it's usually women being on the receiving end of such hugs, with men doing the lifting. For reasons that women tend to be lighter than men and that me tend to be physically stronger than women. As an average-sized man, I've never been on the receiving end of such hugs. Well, possibly as a young child from family, but I'm talking about lift-off hugs between two adults.

While I find these hugs to be pretty fun, I give them very judiciously. I stick to regular hugs unless I'm certain beyond a shadow of doubt that a lift-off hug is OK. I'm aware that not all women like them, and that it's not suitable in all situations. The only people I do the latter with, are some of the women I dated and close female friends I knew for some time, if we're both single. And if friends, not always; just once in a while, and even then, in jest or at moments that warrant a closer-than-normal hug.

Women's opinions on lift-off hugs seem to be divided. Some women like them; they say that being lifted off the ground makes them feel protected by the person doing the lifting, or even "dominated in a good way". Or simply because "it's fun". (Assuming that the person doing the lifting is a boyfriend, a close male friend, or an older brother.) Other women vehemently dislike such hugs; they find them objectifying in one way or another. All this doesn't even factor in those awkward situations where a man tries a lift-off hug on a woman, but can't do it; either because she's heavier than he expected (which embarrasses her), or because he's not as strong as he thought (which embarrasses him).

Men's opinions (on being lifted off the ground) are so few in number, apparently, that I couldn't find anything online.

Looking for input from the City-Data crowd now, both men and women.

I’m an older female (66). Please give these hugs VERY judiciously. I wouldn’t like to be on the receiving end of one. I am not a touch-feely person to begin with; I don’t want even to shake hands. I hug my sons. I hugged my SO when I was in a relationship. I don’t want to hug anyone else except possibly a small child who wanted to be held or hugged.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:58 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
It's exceedingly rare for me, but I've been on the receiving end of a couple lift-off hugs. I'm not some 100 lb featherweight, and these guys are not as strong as they think, so it was definitely uncomfortable to say the least. Thankfully they were quick.

Btw, if you like to do them and you're still in the "what's the big deal" camp, ask one of your friends to give you a lift-off hug just to see what it's like from the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships