Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:25 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,884,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How does the recipient know it's being "done in a lighthearted, playful manner."?

It's creepy AF in my opinion. Only thing worse is the creepy 'shoulder rub' guy.
Hey, I did say the views were divided.

People should play it by ear. And I wasn't talking about doing it to new people, but the people I'm well-familiar with. Any man (or woman, I suppose) who gets a less-than-enthusiastic reaction from a specific person the first time, should know better than to do it again. Otherwise, that's when it becomes creepy.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-19-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Hey, I did say the views were divided.

People should play it by ear. And I wasn't talking about doing it to new people, but the people I'm well-familiar with. Any man (or woman, I suppose) who gets a less-than-enthusiastic reaction from a specific person the first time, should know better than to do it again. Otherwise, that's when it becomes creepy.
Doesn't appear to be too much division on this.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Doesn't appear to be too much division on this.
I meant on the internet at large, not just here, where it's skewed toward "no" so far.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:49 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Nope.

Unless you are a returning POW, who hasn't seen his family after years of captivity and is overcome by emotion, it's weird and patriarchal.
Since I am 5'8" I rarely have been picked up like that, however my adult daughter (5'2" and 105 pounds) has had that happen numerous times. She really hates it and has said that it often makes her feel like a child or a toy. She especially, especially hates it when complete strangers (men at a bar or a party) do it because she feels that it is sexist and demeaning.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How does the recipient know it's being "done in a lighthearted, playful manner."?

It's creepy AF in my opinion. Only thing worse is the creepy 'shoulder rub' guy.
Quote:
... it's weird and patriarchal.
I agree.

It usually means the guy thinks the girl is a teeny little thing and he wants to pick her up because he can.

I'm tall, too, germaine, so a guy would have to really make a show of it and get low to get me off the ground

Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,953 times
I may be the lone voice in favor of it under the right circumstances.

It has rarely happened to me, but last time it happened it was when it had been a very long time since I saw a very dear friend. He lifted me up and swirled me around while we both laughed like mad. He is one of my dearest and oldest friends and I simply adore him. I did not feel it was patriarchal or condescending. It was a momentary burst of enthusiasm and we both loved it.

The other time I had it happen was when my Navy son came back from 9 months at sea and he was so glad to be back with family and loved ones. Again, I loved it because my heart was bursting with joy.

Perhaps because I am really short and small it just didn't seem like a big deal to me. Of course, I wouldn't love it if a casual friend did it, but under the right circumstances it is fine with me.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
5:11 and heels - do you want to give me a lift hug? Come on

Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
And my responses were to the OP so I'm not getting your point.

No rules, but the opinion of most everyone who is more likely to be on the receiving end is that it's awkward at best, creepy and domineering/patriarchal at worst. Of course if he and his receivers enjoy it (although, if I were him, after reading responses here, I would question whether the hugs were enjoyed or simply tolerated because they like him an don't want to offend) then no one is going to stop/"enforce" it so again, what's your point?

He asked for opinions and he's getting them.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-19-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Since I am 5'8" I rarely have been picked up like that, however my adult daughter (5'2" and 105 pounds) has had that happen numerous times. She really hates it and has said that it often makes her feel like a child or a toy. She especially, especially hates it when complete strangers (men at a bar or a party) do it because she feels that it is sexist and demeaning.
Night and day! It can be fine when a romantic partner or a trusted friend does it, provided that it's mutually accepted. I mean, it's one step away (in this case, literally ) from a standard hug with one foot of the ground. I do agree that lift-off hugs are creepy when coming from a person you just met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
5:11 and heels - do you want to give me a lift hug? Come on
Michael Jordan (the basketball player) accepts your challenge. He's 6'6".

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
I did consider the possibility of them being good sports about it. That is, not overtly hating it but not fully liking it, either. So far, no one said anything negative. But maybe it's not a bad idea to save these hugs for more emotional moments, like after not seeing each other for a month, or winning $500 in a lottery .

Last edited by june 7th; 02-19-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 AM

11,809 posts, read 12,049,858 times
I can think of twice that it happened, both were as a result of not having seen each other for some time, and the excitement of it all. Both were men I had short relationships with, and they were both my height so good on them for getting me off the ground!

Beyond that, I would never greet a friend that way, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships