Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:44 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,244,871 times

Advertisements

There have been several posters suggesting that you move out on your own - but I have noticed that you never address this. Why? As long as you are dependent upon mommy, I guess you get to be a child. So now, you are grounded. Better start behaving, or you will be going to bed without your dinner. Move out - or stop complaining. You are not an adult yet - maybe when you turn 40 or 50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 11:47 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,269,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelfanatic View Post
I'd just thought I'd pop in and give an update of what happened between me and my mom last night:

Me and my mom talked last night and the first thing she did was point out how "disrespectful" I was towards her. She said that she didn't approve of my tone of voice and that she wasn't going to tolerate any of my so-called "defiance". She then proceeded to take away my phone and then went onto the subject of the guy that I like. She said that she's taking away my phone so that I can no longer contact him and that I'm also no longer allowed near any non-Native men without her permission or approval. She even used the example of shopping out in public. She said that from now on we'll be shopping together and if we can't find a Native cashier, I'm to go wait in the car while she's rung up by any non-Native cashiers. Those are pretty much the new restrictions she's now placing on me.

IMHO, unless you are a child, or a cognitively challenged adult that needs your mother's care and supervision, she can not put "restrictions" like that on you.

Please move out and start living an independent adult life.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:51 AM

131,234 posts, read 12,278,920 times
Quote:
I'd just thought I'd pop in and give an update of what happened between me and my mom last night:

Me and my mom talked last night and the first thing she did was point out how "disrespectful" I was towards her. She said that she didn't approve of my tone of voice and that she wasn't going to tolerate any of my so-called "defiance". She then proceeded to take away my phone and then went onto the subject of the guy that I like. She said that she's taking away my phone so that I can no longer contact him and that I'm also no longer allowed near any non-Native men without her permission or approval. She even used the example of shopping out in public. She said that from now on we'll be shopping together and if we can't find a Native cashier, I'm to go wait in the car while she's rung up by any non-Native cashiers. Those are pretty much the new restrictions she's now placing on me.
FFS are you ten years old or 25??? This is absolutely ridiculous, no adult would let "Mom" take their phone away

Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,913,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

BTW, a co-signer DOES NOT own the car!! She is just financially responsible if you default on the loan. She can't legally take your keys away. That would be stealing your car! If it was me, you have a job.... move out and live your life!
If my mom tried to take my keys, I'd be like.... OK, since you're the co-signer, you can be on the hook for paying it now. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Quote:

Well, that's what happen when you accept your mom's stubbornness and move on for the "family's" sake. Enjoy.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,500,760 times
Quote:
Because I genuinely feel like there aren't that many Native men out there who I'd like. My past boyfriends were Native and literally all of them were the same. They cheated on me, used me, abused me emotionally, and it's the same with all of the Native guys who my mom tries to set me up with. They just want sex and money and I can't deal with it anymore. This white guy is a genuinely good guy who respects me and treats me kindly.
Go for it. Don't look back either. My daughter found a guy when she was 20. He respected her and they're in their own home and working on a second child, together for 11 years. I know what she would have said to me if I had try to control her. Good guys are hard to find, keep in mind though that you need to protect yourself and be damn sure of his quality before taking it further.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:05 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,704,450 times
It appears you are being supported by your relatives and as such you should either follow their wishes or move out or not date at all.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,442,863 times
OP please be truthful about your true age. Are you under 18? Please be honest here. I don't know of ANY people in their 20s who live in fear of their parents taking their phone or car away from them. Or putting "restrictions" on them. Including those adults who still live at home, as most of them are at least semi-independent. So you really are not being truthful here about something. Why don't you come clean and be honest? If you are really 25 years old, as you claim, no quality man is going to date a woman who is still so heavily dependent on her parents or mother for support. They are going to see the red flags and walk away from you.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,116,401 times
You are over 21 and pay your own bills. Time to move out and get your own life too! It's a big world out there so go see it!

Old 11-19-2017, 12:32 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,283,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
There have been several posters suggesting that you move out on your own - but I have noticed that you never address this. Why? As long as you are dependent upon mommy, I guess you get to be a child. So now, you are grounded. Better start behaving, or you will be going to bed without your dinner. Move out - or stop complaining. You are not an adult yet - maybe when you turn 40 or 50?
+1.

Move. Out.

Problem solved.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:12 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
This whole discussion is ridiculous. It sounds like a story from a 16 year old. If the OP isn't lying about her age, it seems like she has some serious growing up to do. A 25 year old should not be fighting with her mommy about phone privileges or car access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Obviously there’s more to consider than “I like him” when you have family who disapprove of interracial dating. My parents wouldn’t care, but she’s already been threatened by her mom over it.
No, there really isn't.

She should find her own place and live her own life. Her mother can either get used to it and accept it or not, but she should not give up her freedom to make her own decisions just to please her controlling, threatening mother.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 11-19-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships