Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 05:56 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

She seems to have an issue with fat people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-refus...185327342.html

Quote:
British journalist Hilary Freeman was searching for a nursery for her daughter — but when an overweight caretaker tended to her child at one of the trials, she knew the school wasn’t for her.

Despite describing the woman as “kind and great with children,” Freeman couldn’t fathom the idea of leaving her child in her care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 06:37 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
School dodged a bullet..they now don't have to deal with the neurotic B***h.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Publicity stunt. The mom is a "journalist".

Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Interesting case. When I was in early elementary (late 1960s Kindergarten), my parents were called into the principal's office for a meeting because I had made friends with a slightly overweight classmate. Apparently that was a serious indiscretion at the time.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:48 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She seems to have an issue with fat people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-refus...185327342.html

And if I had kids I wouldn't want them to stand/say the Pledge of Allegiance. Not until they understood what the meaning behind it. And then it would be up to them.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Uh Oh. Let's hope for the kid's sake, this doesn't turn into some OCD thing where the mother ends up turning the kid into an anorexic by fat shaming normal growth periods. I went to school with a girl like that. She had to be hospitalized. Her mom totally messed her mind up.

As long as the kid eats healthy meals, fat isn't contagious.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Something is rotten in the state of Nanny

Yah, I glanced @ the link. If mom's a journalist from the UK, she's going to have plenty to do & plenty to write about as UK goes through the Brexit process. Which sounds like it's not going to be all that pleasant a ride, by the way.

That will likely have a lot more impact on her child's wellbeing & development & socialization than the child's teacher's weight status. A preoccupation on the mom's part with how slim or otherwise the kid's teachers are - doesn't pass the sniff test.

& a general rule for journalists & most humans - Everyone has to learn to get along with other people, @ least in normal everyday transactions. Having the person as a teacher/nanny doesn't mean you'll have to be or even get to be best buds - but slamming the door on people because of an arbitrary opinion (& not even the child's opinion, @ that) is a very limiting set of blinders to put on a child, or any human being, for that matter.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:52 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Uh Oh. Let's hope for the kid's sake, this doesn't turn into some OCD thing where the mother ends up turning the kid into an anorexic by fat shaming normal growth periods. I went to school with a girl like that. She had to be hospitalized. Her mom totally messed her mind up.

As long as the kid eats healthy meals, fat isn't contagious.

Sometimes, the fat-shaming will have the opposite effect and cause the child to become even more overweight. I know one woman, whose slender and fashion-conscious mother fat-shamed her to an extreme degree all through her growing-up years, but she just continued to put on more weight. She was 40 before she was able to overcome the complex her mother had given her and bring her weight down to a good level.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:53 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
We all have our flaws and tolerance is usually best. That being said though, extreme obesity might indicate a low level of self discipline and self respect that could legitimately give a potential employer pause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies