Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times

Advertisements

I brought a date to one, and really regretted it. He was bored, and I couldn't enjoy my time chatting with classmates since I couldn't just leave him sitting there alone. These days I don't even bring my husband. I do bring him on the trip with me - just not to the reunion dinner itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I brought a date to one, and really regretted it. He was bored, and I couldn't enjoy my time chatting with classmates since I couldn't just leave him sitting there alone. These days I don't even bring my husband. I do bring him on the trip with me - just not to the reunion dinner itself.
this is very wise...

spouses should go by themselves to reunions..

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I have been to three of mine and two of my wife's. In 100% of the cases spouses or others seemed miserable. Utterly miserable. The exception is if the spouse has some relationship with MANY of the attendees.

In fact my wife did not even go to my last one. She probably thought I was to old to get lucky.

No further comment.

If you take a date out of the blue, you will both be miserable,

Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 PM

158 posts, read 228,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
MODERATORS: THIS IS NOT A ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS QUESTION.

I'm headed to my 20-year high-school reunion, and I'm turning it into a small vacation after coming into a chunk of disposable income (tax rebate). I'm thinking of asking a guy I know to join me (more as a friend, though we do have a romantic history) as he has family in the area he has not seen in some time, and I thought it would be nice to have a date for the reunion. I won't be bored or lonely, but I can't remember the last time I took a date to a wedding or a reunion or anything of that nature, so I thought it would be a fun change of pace.

My high school was fairly small, and oddly enough, despite being one of the class nerds, I am actually popular at the reunions. The atmosphere isn't really that "clique-y" anymore and everyone is very welcoming to spouses and dates.

I would pay for my date's plane ticket and reunion ticket, and the hotel and rental car would be the same either way. I figure he can join me for the reunion dinner and just do his own thing otherwise (like visit his family) unless he wants to go sightseeing or hiking with me. (We get along well and enjoy similar interests.)

Does this seem totally off the wall? I've heard a lot of people say they would never bring a date to a reunion. But I think it has the potential to be really fun.
Yes, it sounds totally off the wall. I don't even make my husband endure my reunions. Why would I put someone else through it? At reunions I want to be free to talk to all my old friends and not have to worry about my husband being bored out of his mind in a room full of strangers while I flit around talking to all my old friends.

Why would you want to take him? Go someplace that you could both enjoy together, not a reunion or a wedding!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree. At my reunion, my husband sat around awkwardly at the table of friendly albeit unknown to each other spouses the entire night while we classmates ran around the room talking and telling private jokes etc.

Just go solo and have fun.
Exactly! That's what I've always done and always had a blast! I felt sorry for the spouses and even more sorry for dates who got stuck at someone else's reunion. Torture!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Yeah, if you're planning to stay there for hours, I wouldn't bring him. Reunions really aren't that interesting if they're not your own, even if you're very social and like meeting new people.

Just a thought, if someone I had a thing with once said, "Hey, will you be my date to my reunion? I'll fly you out and pay for your ticket and hotel room and rent you a car, you don't even have to stay with me afterward and you can see your family or whatever...", I would think they were desperate to spend time with me one-on-one without coming right out and saying it and trying to do everything in their power to make it hard for me to say no. He may not think that, but just saying, it's how I would react unless it was framed a bit differently.
Agreed. It is rather weird and sounds either desperate or condescending. He may well be insulted.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
MODERATORS: THIS IS NOT A ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS QUESTION.

I'm headed to my 20-year high-school reunion, and I'm turning it into a small vacation after coming into a chunk of disposable income (tax rebate). I'm thinking of asking a guy I know to join me (more as a friend, though we do have a romantic history) as he has family in the area he has not seen in some time, and I thought it would be nice to have a date for the reunion. I won't be bored or lonely, but I can't remember the last time I took a date to a wedding or a reunion or anything of that nature, so I thought it would be a fun change of pace.

My high school was fairly small, and oddly enough, despite being one of the class nerds, I am actually popular at the reunions. The atmosphere isn't really that "clique-y" anymore and everyone is very welcoming to spouses and dates.

I would pay for my date's plane ticket and reunion ticket, and the hotel and rental car would be the same either way. I figure he can join me for the reunion dinner and just do his own thing otherwise (like visit his family) unless he wants to go sightseeing or hiking with me. (We get along well and enjoy similar interests.)

Does this seem totally off the wall? I've heard a lot of people say they would never bring a date to a reunion. But I think it has the potential to be really fun.

I wouldn't take myself to a class reunion however, in this case I don't think it would hurt to ask him if he would go with you. Tell him what you wrote here in your original post and he may be happy to join you.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
No. It seems a little too personal to me to bring someone I'm dating and not in a relationship with.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
No, I would want to enjoy myself without worrying whether or not my date was okay.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Let us know what you decided! Hope it works out either way and you have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships