Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM

48 posts, read 190,911 times

Advertisements

My 5 year reunion is next year. I graduated high school 2009. I didn't enjoy high school due that i was different from rest of my peers. I made good grades in school, but i didn't have anything in common with the students. I was wondering what goes on at a class reunion. I'm on the border line of not going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
You spend money.
You're a little nervous.
People drink
People try to lose 20 pounds in the month prior to the reunion.
Image non-virtual Facebook: Some people want to put on their best face.

I went to my 20th but I missed my 30th due to living out of state.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You spend money.
You're a little nervous.
People drink
Image non-virtual Facebook: Some people want to put on their best face.

Hell, I do all this nearly every Friday night in DC. Why would I bother to throw gas money in to go back to a place I hated as a kid?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM

213 posts, read 659,784 times
If you go to your 5yr reunion everyone will still be in the same "click" from High School, people just hang out in the same groups. No one has changed that much. My High School had a 10yr and everyone still hung out in "click" and was still trying to impress everyone else. By your 20yr , you quit caring what everyone else thinks so people tend to mingle with everyone.

Most have the stupid , who has changed the most, who has the most kids, yadda yadda contests.......
If you didn't enjoy High School, I say save the $$$$ and skip it , maybe in 15yrs when everyone has mellowed and don't care about "Bitsie" and everyone popular then go

Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsboy701 View Post
My 5 year reunion is next year. I graduated high school 2009. I didn't enjoy high school due that i was different from rest of my peers. I made good grades in school, but i didn't have anything in common with the students. I was wondering what goes on at a class reunion. I'm on the border line of not going.
Heyyy we'd be in the same boat! But i don't care much to go to mine. I feel like a new woman with different focus. I still talk to the people I cared about in HS so everyone else is kind of irrelevant at this point. It's only been 5 years.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Once you get past the thrill of, "Hey, it's you!," it becomes the most awkward party of your life.

Sometimes, though, you click (not romantically) with a classmate that you might not imagine, and you gain a friend.

Fortunately, people do grow up.

I would go with a plan to leave after an hour, and just see how it goes.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Five years is really early to have a class reunion.

In my experience, reunions get better with time, as others have reported. By the time you reach the twentieth, people pretty much know who they are and are generally okay with themselves (though of course everyone wants and tries to present his or her best self), and are more focussed on learning who their classmates have become. After that, classmates generally are just glad to reconnect with others who shared their formative years and the memories of those distant days.

There are usually a number of surprises at twentieth-plus class reunions -ugly ducklings have become swans, golden boys are, well, tarnished, the shy become outgoing, the geeks become smooth, the cheerleaders carry pounds instead of pompons, and while old friendships are often renewed, warm friendships can form from what was once simply acquaintance, as growth into common ground and connection is discovered. I know of at least two romances resulting in marriage which got started at class reunions - the parties knew one another previously, but didn't really click way back when.

So - go if you would like to catch up with old friends, have a good time, but if you go and don't have such a great time, don't write off class reunions entirely. They get better as classmates mature. Much better.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Five years is really early to have a class reunion.

In my experience, reunions get better with time, as others have reported. By the time you reach the twentieth, people pretty much know who they are and are generally okay with themselves (though of course everyone wants and tries to present his or her best self), and are more focussed on learning who their classmates have become. After that, classmates generally are just glad to reconnect with others who shared their formative years and the memories of those distant days.

There are usually a number of surprises at twentieth-plus class reunions -ugly ducklings have become swans, golden boys are, well, tarnished, the shy become outgoing, the geeks become smooth, the cheerleaders carry pounds instead of pompons, and while old friendships are often renewed, warm friendships can form from what was once simply acquaintance, as growth into common ground and connection is discovered. I know of at least two romances resulting in marriage which got started at class reunions - the parties knew one another previously, but didn't really click way back when.

So - go if you would like to catch up with old friends, have a good time, but if you go and don't have such a great time, don't write off class reunions entirely. They get better as classmates mature. Much better.
Oh, wow, I totally glossed over the 5 year part.

Sounds like someone in your class is VERY excited to be on the party planning committee, OP!

I agree that waiting at least till the 10-year may be more interesting.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
The more years it's been the more fun you will have. I have enjoyed every one of mine. A 5 year reunion isn't a big deal. No one has really changed. When you pass 30th year and some look like the grandparents they are and others still look about the same, it gets interesting. My 40th is coming up.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
As for what goes on at a class reunion, expect to hear the musical hits of your high school days. There may be displays of high school memorabilia - far more interesting at later reunions, as after all, a five-year-old letter sweater or your old history book isn't too novel or nostalgic. A class reunion group photograph may be taken - make sure the names are also taken, so everyone will know who's who in the picture.

People generally dress nicely for the dinner event - suits and ties for men, dressy dresses for women. Some classes have a picnic (catered or potluck) prior to or the day after the main event reunion banquet- this is far more informal. Sometimes a tour of the old school is included, which can be fun. Some classes have arranged for tours of historic sites associated with the school (as in, Famous Person High School class visits nearby museum home of Famous Person). Some reunions include a farewell brunch the morning after the main-event/banquet.

Reunion banquets/dinner-dances are often held at conventiion hotels or smaller convention centers. There's usually a cocktail hour, followed by a catered sit-down dinner (usually called a banquet, but it's usually just a nice dinner), with reminiscing speeches by class officers or other class leaders. Any teachers present are recognized and applauded. There is often a moment of silence to commemorate any classmates who have passed away. There will be a few jokes, loosely connected to high school experiences. Someone may sing your class song and everyone is encouraged to sing along. Few will remember all the lyrics.

There will be the usual "competitions": most changed, least changed (in my class, this eventually became the one who has changed most frequently), most children, youngest child (oldest child got dropped due to babies whose eminent arrival resulted in shotgun weddings way back when), eventually, oldest grandchild, and so on. Usually prizes are rather silly - a baby bottle or bib for the classmate with the youngest child, etc). At my last reunion, a high school trivia game with each dinner table competing was popular - the losers got a bottle of gingko biloba.

Eventually, dinner will be cleared away and it's time for dancing and catching up with other classmates- the latter has been far more popular with my class at recent reunions.

Sometimes the reunion organizers also create a CD or a booklet with biographical information or at least contact info for each classmate who responded, whether they attended the reunion or not. Such things make nice souvenirs, and it's interesting to see how various people describe themselves and their lives.

If you go, I'd encourage you to sit with someone you know but whom you haven't seen for a while, rather than joining the classmates you see regularly. Make the rounds and find out what everyone is doing, if they are still pretty much the same or have changed, what their plans are, and so on. Share your info., too. If you hang out with your usual companions, you'll miss a lot.

If you're on the organizing committee, it's fun and eye-opening to have a follow-up meeting to discuss what did and didn't go well at the reunion, so you'll know how to make the next one even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships